Weight-Loss 5-a-day food challenge

Weight-Loss

Omega

I think that we have all heard of the idea of having at least 5 portions of fruit or vegetables across the day.

I am trying to get my nutrition back on track - after being nothing short of disgraceful...

One of the first things that I am working on is having 5-a-day.
It may sound a bit simplistic - but I know that I missed it 2 days last week when I had decided that I was aiming for it.

Maybe this thread will make me accountable.

If anyone else is aiming for 5-a-day - then why not post here and be accountable.
We can celebrate our achievements together - and own up to our failings... Admitting to those failings publicly may make us a little more successful.

My 5-a-day for Sunday 26th March was -
2 portions sliced apple (from prepared fruit packs)
2 portions of grapes (from prepared fruit packs)
1 peach
1 banana

I know that it would be better if a/ there were vegetables and b/ there were more portions - but I am definitely at the baby steps phase...

My 5-a-day for Monday 27th March was -
1 portions sliced apple (from prepared fruit packs)
2 peaches
2 bananas

My 5-a-day for Tuesday 28th March was -
1/2 tin baked beans
1 portions sliced apple (from prepared fruit packs)
3 prepared tubs of mixed fruit

Wednesday 29th March and I'm eating loads of fruit - so far..
2 bananas
1 peach
400g strawberries (a punnet!)
1 pear
1 apple
350g cherries (family pack!)

Friday 31st March
apple
pear
2 bananas
beans

Saturday 1st April
banana
2 clementines
tin peaches labelled to contain 4 portions for 5-a-day

Sunday 2nd April
In addition to 6 small bananas I had an M&S super wholefood salad and a chicken chilli noodle salad for my main meal.

Monday 3rd April
1 pear
1 apple
2 clementines
1/2 tin baked beans

Last edited:
Wednesday 5th April
2 bananas
pack of mango chunks - labelled to be more than 3 portions for 5-a-day

Saturday 8th
1 pear
1 banana
cucumber
2 tomatoes
broccoli
cauliflower
peas
sweet potato

Sunday 9th
3 bananas
1/2 tin baked beans
==============missed my 5 a day as went to bed early

Monday 10th
1/3 cucumber
2 tomatoes
punnet strawberries
2 bananas
1/2 tin sweetcorn
1/2 tin peas
1 apple
also a glass of cucumber, kale and mint juice which claims to qualify on the bottle...

Tuesday 11th
2 tomatoes
1/3 cucumber
2 bananas

You've come a long way. I ate:
A couple tablespoons of raisins in my raisin bran this morning
2 small apples
about 3 cups of spaghetti squash with some ramen noodles for dinner.

Well done... I cannot get away with these mock rice and spaghetti products made from veg... Whenever we've tried them I've not been that taken with them and Rod has come out and said he didn't like them... Maybe we need better recipes as we do fine with some quorn mock meat products.

Wednesday 12th
2 bananas
1/2 tin baked beans

Well done... I cannot get away with these mock rice and spaghetti products made from veg... Whenever we've tried them I've not been that taken with them and Rod has come out and said he didn't like them... Maybe we need better recipes as we do fine with some quorn mock meat products.

I am lucky in that way since I don't eat red meat anyway. I usually do half and half like have a portion of baked ziti with a bag of frozen cauliflower or portion of fried rice mixed with a bag of frozen mixed veggies. I do like veggie dogs and tofu. My downfall is sweets. I got home yesterday and my husband had made creampuffs - ugh. I love the concept of Hungry Girl - still eat what you like but a lot of veggies as filler.

Today:
raisins in my raisin bran
2 small apples

We never have beef - Rod will not touch it since mad cow disease... We have lamb sometimes and pork quite a lot.. We have chicken and fish a lot too...

Sweets are one of my tricky areas - Rod is very partial to them and one of his "go to" things... I am trying to hit the fruit when I want sweets... I always figured that fruit has plenty nourishment and is likely to pass right through you so not too likely to do too much damage so I'm back to that strategy...

Water and veggies make great fillers - on my big project I rarely got so that I was having much that was unhealthy...

Home made cream puffs would be pretty near impossible for you to resist.

Back