40 yrs old & realised i was fat

Glenn84

Hi to everybody to reading this:)

I would like to share my weight loss journey with other people.

To start with I am 41yrs of age and have been a publican for 20 odd yrs. I am a typical Occa aussie male so this is kind of a bit metro for me writing this.

I have been overweight for the last 6yrs and at my heaviest I was 114kg. I knew my weight was getting up there but never really worried about it. On a recent trip to Bali I got stuck in the entrance of a water slide while on a tube with my son and had to listen to peoples laughter.

Not to be the sort of person who cares about other peoples opinions I soon forgot about it. After this I looked and some of the holiday photos and avoided the camera for the next year or so.

It was just recently while doing paperwork at my desk (3 months ago) that I noticed my stomach was stopping me from reaching my desk properly. This was a surreal moment for me and I nearly broke down and cried. It was the final straw!!!

Three months down the track I have gone from 114kg to 87kg and are aiming at 80kg People have told me this is to much to quick?

I have followed no diet and taken no pills, just eating good food and small portions with some gym work 3 days a week.

I have researched diets, pills, programs and all manner of weight loss schemes to keep myself informed and look for that extra edge.

For myself personally I have found it has all been about common sense and there is no such thing as a diet - ITS A WAY OF LIFE!!!

All these fads and diets are just a way to prey on peoples weaknesses and take your money. If you want it bad enough then you will do it.

I understand that everybody has their own demons when it comes to weight loss and I dont mean to sound like I know it all, just wanted to share my journey so far and if it helps somebody then great.

I have made up my own diet, I dont count calories, and being a publican I drink a fair bit. I allow myself one junk meal per week which as time goes on is starting to make me feel yucky.

My Main rules have been,

No bread - no pasta - no potatoes - no gravy - no salad dressing - no breakfast.

A good lunch, lean meat or fish 150gms is heaps with veg or salad - tea is anything light and small.

SNACKS - The essentials lol - I like to keep a container of water in the fridge filled with celery, radishes, capsicum and so on - for the sweet tooth any berries are tops.

Thankyou for letting me share and am happy to answer any questions.

Forgot to post the best bit, the pros which makes me want to work harder at it.

SHOPPING - you all know what I mean:)

Dont cut one of my 4 chins when shaving.

Energy I dont know what to do with.

Love the comments from friends and family.

And the best one is the things I can do with the wife in the bedroom again - sry if that was a overshare.

Ouch man, that's very tough I'm sorry to hear that. If you go very raw , like 70% youll be fine. It's incredible tough though. good luck!

I agree with the fact that weight loss is a way of life not a diet, and good on you for losing all this weight. I'm only 22 but have just started on my journey and need to lose a lot of weight.

I am on a program thats called ditch the diet on facebook, After researching all these programs like ashy bines and things I came across them. In my plan they actually say that you should eat 6 small meals a day, Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner... sometimes supper. If you don't eat every 3-4 hours your body goes into starvation mode and actually makes it harder to lose weight so I would suggest going to their page and having a look into it to lose some of the rest of the weight you're trying to lose, so far i've lost 10 kilos with them, so it's great =)

If eating 6 small meals a day works for you, then that's absolutely fantastic! It's not something that works for everyone, but congrats on losing so much weight so far!

Wow, they are really trying to freak people out by telling them that their bodies will go into starvation mode after only 3-4 hours.... I'm usually a little more careful with my wording, but I can tell you that is a total load of crap (it's really frustrating when these types of things are perpetuated by "diet plans") . If they want to talk about insulin and blood sugars, that's fine, but starvation mode should not be brought into the equation after such a short time.

Forgot to post the best bit, the pros which makes me want to work harder at it.

SHOPPING - you all know what I mean:)

Dont cut one of my 4 chins when shaving.

Energy I dont know what to do with.

Love the comments from friends and family.

And the best one is the things I can do with the wife in the bedroom again - sry if that was a overshare.

If I may add, the reaction from people who haven't seen you for a while is Priceless. :)

Back