Cate's Diary

I'm glad that the golf was a good fit and that it benefited G having you there as well. That is interesting about feeling more comfortable with the men. I think I used to find that about women, but nowadays I seem to find men and women about the same. I thought it was maybe a getting older thing where you don't have the teenage dynamics that I used to find difficult. But I wonder if it depends where one is mixing.
A kilo a month is a great goal.

I think men can be complicated but they are generally nicer to women than women are to other women! The laws of nature and all that.

I am rooting for you to lose 1 kilo a month. I know you can do it. You did it before in half the time.

Thanks, Liza & Em. How well you get on with men and women probably does have a lot to do with who you mix with & I have spent more time with men since I left school.
I know I should be able to lose a kilo a month but I seem to have lost confidence in my ability to actually do it.

Wow, 5% in 10 weeks! Are you starting immediately? I agree about limiting the starchy carbs, but getting the good nutrition from the healthier carbs. It seems like the different generations are so different when it comes to gender roles. I love my daughter's generation and how kind and authentic both the girls and guys are for the most part.

I think 5% in 10 weeks is too much & I probably won't go for that, but I need something to spur me on.
You're so right about the differences between different generations. I'm glad younger people are changing things. When I was a teen just talking to a boy brought you so much flack. The "Ooh, is he your boyfriend?" crap. It was so embarrassing.

I'm afraid that's still very much a thing in many circles, even for kindergarteners. But I too feel hopeful when I see my nephews and their peers. Progress is agonizingly slow but it's there.

How well you get on with men and women probably does have a lot to do with who you mix with
I was thinking too about if you are mixing in competitive circles, women could be more competitive against other women than men against women. (though i could be wrong) Some people are really good at just keeping competition in a nice space where we are just basically pushing each other to do our best, but some people can get pretty nasty in competitive spaces...
I don't have anywhere I compete with anyone so I mostly encounter women and men to be about the same--some are nice, some aren't but not depending on gender so much.

You're so right about the differences between different generations. I'm glad younger people are changing things.
I also feel so impressed with the younger generation and some of the really great changes in attitudes in general.

I really like Liza's point about competitive people with different motivations for being competitive. There's so much emphasis on being "above average" with all the grading and teaching to the test in schools instead of on improving one's personal best. Comparing ourselves to others is known to cause negative self esteem issues and I wish there were a lot more emphasis on healthy competition.

I hope the men treat me just like one of them, rather than see me as a threat. Competition can be healthy & I'm hoping that it is. I just want to fit in & be accepted. I want to get better at golf, without worrying about what anyone thinks of me.
I'm looking forward to playing golf tomorrow with T & K.

Hope you enjoy the golf today Cate. Best of luck with the fitness challenge.
Thanks, Em. I'm playing golf tomorrow. It should be fun as I'm in lovely company & that's the main thing. It's a fundraiser for the nearest major cancer treatment centre & is in honour of a friend(T1)'s husband who died the year before last. I love seeing her. It's a great cause. Playing with T2 who is a cancer survivor will be good. It should raise quite a bit of money.
I'm ready for a fitness challenge. I feel bloated & it's uncomfortable.
I'm having a good day today. We went to the tip & did a little shopping, got some library books etc & have just been pottering about. We're having a great year for walnuts & have beaten the birds to them. They got the laurel berries first this year which we don't mind. I'll be picking mountain pepper berries soon. We have tomatoes ripening slowly but will have enough for a batch of sauce soon.
Edit: (at 5.50 pm)
I just did an online order of non-alcoholic wines. R & I decided to have an AF weekend when we come down soon & I decided today that I am going to have an AF month in April.

Last edited:
Glad you got your share of the walnuts this year!
Lovely to hear of all the yummy harvesting.

Enjoy the golfing--sounds like it should be a really great day especially when it's for such a good cause!

So nice you have a golf day with T! I hope you have a lovely time. I agree, you should just be able to enjoy a sport without all the drama and just hone your skills with likeminded people. I hope that's the case now. Fresh walnuts are the best - so glad you get to harvest them before the animals do. I had to look up mountain pepper berries, too. You have the best flora and fauna!

Thanks, Marsia, Em & Liza. I had a lovely day with T & K & we also played very well. We mustn't have been far off getting a prize & our team shot about 6 shots better than G's, which was fun. There was lots of cheek. K wants me to play with the women. J was very cool towards me when I said good morning. Apparently, she mentioned after the game on Wednesday that I had played with the vets.
It was a very successful day & I'm sure lots of money would have been raised. It was nice seeing T1.
We both slept very well & even slept in until almost 8 am, which is unusual for us. We'll need a quiet day today, with an Archie walk in there sometime.

Back