Cate's Diary

but it's too far from everything that we want to do or go to
What kind of stuff would you like to be doing?
I really like living in walking distance to everything I do and having a sense of community close around me... but yes big decisions and a lot to weigh in I'm sure. I know how much you seem to love your house...
2 Archie walks, 3 square meals, Tai Chi, 8 hrs sleep, 1 book read. Mood-Ok, with periods of grump.
Awesome!!

Mood-Ok, with periods of grump.
This made me laugh for some reason.

Hope today is better.

:grouphug: I don't have anything helpful to say but wanted to leave this here.
Thanks, LaMa. That made me feel good.
What kind of stuff would you like to be doing?
I really like living in walking distance to everything I do and having a sense of community close around me... but yes big decisions and a lot to weigh in I'm sure. I know how much you seem to love your house...
Even just taking Archie for a walk, really. Everywhere we go there are little burrs that get stuck in his fur. I won't even start on the snakes. Most of our friends live in L., as do G's brother & 2 sisters. Being able to walk around the streets on paths & near parks would be wonderful. There's a musician we both like playing on L on Sat night, but driving 60 km home in the dark after a show is just too tiring. I see things I want to do all of the time, but that 120 km drive is just too much. We try to fit too much in when we do go into town, to make the petrol worthwhile.
This made me laugh for some reason.

Hope today is better.
Thanks, Em. I woke up not grumpy, so that's a good start.
I'm having a lot of computer troubles at the moment, so will quickly post this before I lose the connection again!

I moved to Vienna to be closer to my friends and not have to take a train for every cup of tea. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss living near the woods but for me it's worth it.
I know I would have a more social life if we moved, but I would really miss the peace & quiet too. I think I might start a list of the pros & cons so that I can look at it from a practical perspective.

I just did about an hour's gardening & am aching like crazy. It was mostly pulling out weeds. I also trimmed under some plants where the snakes like to live. I said to G that I was pretending they'll all be at winter camp. It's so uneven & I have to be so careful. It is getting too much for us.

I hope you will list your pros and cons here Cate. I would love to see that. I can easily imagine benefits to both... I have a nice balance where I am in that it's a pretty peaceful area surrounded by lots of trees but in walking distance to everything. Maybe you can find just that kind of right balance of what you are looking for.
Gardening with scary snakes does sound hard!!

I hope you will list your pros and cons here Cate. I would love to see that. I can easily imagine benefits to both... I have a nice balance where I am in that it's a pretty peaceful area surrounded by lots of trees but in walking distance to everything. Maybe you can find just that kind of right balance of what you are looking for.
I might put my list in here, Liza. I'll see how it looks when I do it. I think being within walking distance of almost everything would be the biggest plus. I am so limited here with where I can walk with Archie. I have to stop looking if I can for a while because it feels like it's becoming a bit of an obsession.

I'm keeping my calories around 1400 a day, without any wine, so if I drop the sweet stuff next week I should be able to keep to about the same. I need to make a firm decision about the when & how much.
More gardening is planned for today. I could see where I had been yesterday & now is a good time, while it's too cold for snakes.

Congrats on your last day of Dry July! You made it look easy.
Thanks, Em. I haven't found it difficult as I'm very stubborn when I want to be. I still have today & tomorrow ( with a BBQ to go to tomorrow) but on Monday I will open a bottle of bubbly. I'm an all-or-nothing person. It's sometimes easier to abstain altogether.

Time goes so fast: I can't believe July is already basically over! I think you're being sensible about a possible move: I just read that moving is among the most stressful things for humans to experience outside of violence so be kind to yourself

Hi Cate! I am glad you'll be putting your ideas about moving on paper. I think it helps a lot for not having the thoughts just spiral around in one's head endlessly, and can also bring some clarity. We made sure to move where we are close to civilization for J's sake, and in the countryside for mine. I don't know if there are neighborhoods with bigger lots or by big parks or wild areas but close to town, but maybe you can have both? I think it's a good idea to talk with realtors just to get a feel for what your house is worth, what the market is like, and all that. You can always tell them that you are not sure how serious you are yet and just use the information to help decide what you want, with no pressure either way. I agree with LaMa that moving is very stressful (having just done that twice!) but staying in a house that is becoming too much work can be equally stressful, as well, so good to plan ahead for the day that you maybe practically need to move.

I am very very cautious in our yard about snakes even though the ones I have spotted are obviously non-venomous. I get so relieved when your son comes and collects your snakes and releases them elsewhere!

I may have to join you guys in tracking all my food. I am on a plateau. Glad you are feeling happy and that Dry July went so well!

I'm an all-or-nothing person. It's sometimes easier to abstain altogether.
I know what you mean Cate. Moderation can be harder for sure! Once you get a taste of whatever it is that draws you in, hard to stop!
I'm keeping my calories around 1400 a day, without any wine, so if I drop the sweet stuff next week I should be able to keep to about the same. I need to make a firm decision about the when & how much.
Sounds like a good plan

Thanks, LaMa, Marsia, Liza & Em. July has gone fairly quickly. I haven't felt the health benefits of a month without any alcohol as much as I did last year. I'm glad that I have done it though. I may still be suffering some longer-term effects from the covid, although I didn't have it badly. I have been dreaming a lot & having nightmares. I have been anxious a lot of the time. I would have to go back to my diary from last year but I think something similar happened. I have also had headaches, especially in the evening.
I had a terrible night's sleep last night. My brain seems to be working overtime during the night lately. I hate that. I sometimes wake in a bit of a panic after a bad dream. I have had some weird dreams of my late mother & sister. I think July & August are trigger months for me. My sister was born in July & died in August & my Mum died in August. Of course, they are also Winter months here.
This is from July last year. I just went back & read all of the posts from last July in my diary. That was an interesting rabbit hole. It's good to do that from time to time.
G has a BBQ & possible pool comp to go to today & I'm debating whether to stay at home or to go with him. I think I'll go, but come home when I want to. He can get a lift home as the guy who lives just down the road will be there too.

Back