Cate's Diary

Hi Cate,
Nice to hear your spirits up with some good outings and activity. Have a lovely time away. I hope you can keep the activity up without any pain increase.

Thanks, M, LaMa, Em, Rob & Liza :grouphug:
It's really nice being back home again. The kennels were awful & I won't be taking Arch back there. I doubt he'll let me out of his sight for a while. He's settled down now though. We picked him up yesterday morning & took him to the beach on the way home. He was incredibly thirsty yesterday.
We enjoyed our couple of nights away, but I would prefer to go elsewhere & stay in a nicer place next time. I don't think this particular trip will happen next year so we won't have to say no. On Tuesday, while the men played golf we visited the tulip farm at Table Cape. It was absolutely beautiful. I had a nice day with the women.
Our friend who organises these trips has resigned from the club G now plays at, under similar circumstances to us & it's all a bit tricky & awkward. Most of his & G's friends are members of this club. I think that he will go join another, but I don't think G will follow him. They will still have their social golf group. Clubs are weird things & can be so political & narky.
It seems that it is going to rain here for days on end too.
I have the doctor's ap't this morning & I hope I can get some guidance. I'm getting fairly frustrated & am still in lots of pain. It's not as bad as it was, but is very sore.

I have the doctor's ap't this morning & I hope I can get some guidance. I'm getting fairly frustrated & am still in lots of pain. It's not as bad as it was, but is very sore.

I hope it goes well this morning, getting a plan in place with your doc, may not help the pain initially but it will help mentally in that you can see a path out of the pain.

Sorry to hear Archie had a bad time of it, poor pup 🧸 And what a shame that golf politics are messy in the new place as well! Best of luck with your doctor: constant pain sucks.

I hope it goes well this morning, getting a plan in place with your doc, may not help the pain initially but it will help mentally in that you can see a path out of the pain.
You’re right, Tru. I do feel that I have a plan. I think it’s going to end up with surgery unfortunately. The cyst on the back of my knee is not a Baker’s cyst, but most likely a Ganglion cyst. It doesn’t look like it has burst. I have been prescribed strong pain killers for a while to have last thing at night. The pain has most likely bumped my BP up. I was at the doctor’s for ages! I have an appointment already to see the orthopedist on the 5th (good timing).
Sorry to hear Archie had a bad time of it, poor pup 🧸 And what a shame that golf politics are messy in the new place as well! Best of luck with your doctor: constant pain sucks.
I know. I felt really bad. It was an awful place. I have a feeling politics comes into most clubs. Hopefully the pain killers work, without too many side effects until I can get it sorted. The male nurse recommended using a stick. The doc said I could walk. I took Arch for a 10 min walk about half an hour ago & the pain had me in tears, so I’ll wait until they kick in.

A ganglion cyst is a different beastie (though also generally more painful than dangerous). Good thing you went and got it checked properly. I agree that walking with a (proper length, held on the healthy side) cane or crutch would probably give you more mobility without raising the pain level.

A ganglion cyst is a different beastie (though also generally more painful than dangerous). Good thing you went and got it checked properly. I agree that walking with a (proper length, held on the healthy side) cane or crutch would probably give you more mobility without raising the pain level.
I'm looking forward to seeing the ortho & finding out if there's anything they can do about it. The pain killer that I was prescribed specifically targets nerve pain as the doctor(& I) feel the cyst may be pushing on a nerve. Touchwood, I slept better & I am in a bit less pain this morning. I'll try for a walk today & will use a stick if I do. It's a miserable rainy day though. The walking may just be housework. It's D's birthday today & he & the Gk's are staying tonight. The house needs a good spruce up. I had better get moving.

Sorry to hear that the pain continues Cate. Sounds really rough.
I hope that pain killer will continue to give you some relief. Would be nice to find some way to enjoy even some short walks.
Hope the birthday goes well. Should be a fun time i imagine!

Sorry to hear that the pain continues Cate. Sounds really rough.
I hope that pain killer will continue to give you some relief. Would be nice to find some way to enjoy even some short walks.
Hope the birthday goes well. Should be a fun time i imagine!
Thanks, Liza. The pain killer wore off about midday & I didn't want to have another until bedtime as they make you drowsy. We got the house looking good & G did lots of cooking. Arch didn't get his walk in but he did get exercise following me backwards & forwards & then later being chased around the snooker table by A. I taught him this game, but I can't play it at the moment. he loves it. We had a lovely night.
Moving gently is almost always better than not moving. Enjoy family time!
You're right, LaMa. D & the kids are still here & about to head off on an adventure.
They have gone now, but will be back later as D is getting his covid vax this afternoon. G & I were worried about both of our sons as they didn't seem that keen to get vaccinated. They both seem to think they have "kick-arse" immune systems & they never get a flu vax. Covid is such a different beast. It's a relief that they have both come to the decision without any heated conversations. R has had his first & will soon get his second.

I really need to come up with a sound plan to lose some weight. I am starting to feel like the wombat in my profile pic. I'll come up with one today & start tomorrow. I also need to drink more water. I'll put the plan in my signature, so that I see it every day. I'll think about it during the day......

It is good both sons have made the right decision, my youngest son was keen and is fully vaxed, the older two were hesitant for different reasons but have both now had their first shot.

One of my BILs didn't want to get it at first. I was so glad he changed his mind before I went home just because I was dreading the discussions.

Hi, LaMa. I’m glad your BIL changed his mind. I had been dropping subtle( maybe not very subtle) hints & am grateful it didn’t have to develop into a “discussion”. Phew!

I'm so relieved you got some pain killer to give you some relief, and happy you had a good time with your family! I hope all goes well with your knee. So happy it wasn't something inoperable! I'll join you very soon making a solid plan for weight loss.:)

Thanks, M. I was really hoping that it would heal on its own, but if an operation will fix it, then I'll take it. I am going to ring the hospital on Monday & see if I can get an earlier ap't as it is meant to be our family lunch that day & it's hard for everyone to change.
My SIL, L rang yesterday to ask if we are going to go along to her family lunch this Christmas. It was so nice catching up with her kids & grandkids at the funeral. We had lost touch with most of them & it was good to reconnect. I'll ask the boys but G & I will go. We have Christmas night at our place so it will be a big day, but I think this year, in particular, it would be a good thing.
Today is day 1 of my new plan. I have logged my breakfast- 2 small slices of GF bread, 1 boiled egg, 1/4 avocado, rhubarb chutney & FF mayo 340 cals.
It's not raining now so I will take Arch for a walk. I'm not sure I can do 5000 steps though as my knee is really hurting. I took another pain killer this morning. It may make me dizzy. I think I'll take 2 at bedtime tomorrow night instead of one in the morning & one at night.
Lunch is going to be devilled kidneys with veg, dinner a salad.
Edit: amendment to my plan. I just got back from an attempt at walking A. I got to just over a km, with a walking stick & had to ring. I’m only at 1700 steps & in lots of pain. I will aim for 3000 for now. :(

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you had to cut your walk short but it's good that you tried. I'm sure the first Christmas without her husband will be tough on your SIL but the fact that she asked you guys to join her must mean she feels supported.

Sorry to hear you had to cut your walk short but it's good that you tried. I'm sure the first Christmas without her husband will be tough on your SIL but the fact that she asked you guys to join her must mean she feels supported.
Thanks, LaMa. I did some short walks & managed to get my steps up to 4,657. I walked around the snooker table & the dining table quite a few times. L has a big family (4 kids & 10 GK's) & they all live near her & it will be full-on, with another sister, her son & DIL & their 2 kids, plus us.
So unfortunate that you are finding it difficult to exercise with the pain in your leg Cate but keep going with the food.
It isn't good, Em, but I'll keep on walking anyway. I have cut my food down. I won't give up.

I'm not sleeping well as I can't get comfortable.
The new plan felt like a bit of a fail on day 1, but today I'll be more aware & try harder. Really need to cut down on "treats" & picking. Mood pretty good.

Are you still icing your knee in the evening? Finding a painfree position to sleep in can be so tough: an extra pillow may help if you aren't already packed in from all sides.

Back