Big T & MMW: To Keep Lean & Stay Mean ;)

Yeah. Well any improvement would be good. How long since you first started running on a regular basis? And did you do any running before that point?

Yeah. Well any improvement would be good. How long since you first started running on a regular basis? And did you do any running before that point?

About 2 week ago, and i was inactive for over a year before that. (Apart from lifting). So i think thats probably the reason.

I used to be really active and athletic, first time iv ever had this.

About 2 week ago, and i was inactive for over a year before that. (Apart from lifting). So i think thats probably the reason.

I used to be really active and athletic, first time iv ever had this.

Okay, that makes sense then. I'm not an expert obviously, but I think that has a lot to do with it. I've always been an avid runner. On a bulk last year, I didn't do any running (so as to not "waste" any energy) for like 2 and half months. Got back into a cutting phase after that, and running was rough to get back into for a few weeks. My ankles would hurt, shins, sometimes I couldn't even finish a short run cause it would just hurt. I gave it rest, and just worked my way back into runs. Eventually, with good resting after runs, I was rock solid in my legs with no pain at all. So it could just have a lot to do with your body not being used to the impact and whatnot.

Thats good to hear man :D Cheers.

There's people at work who are runners who also say the same thing ^^

Yup yup. I went through the very same thing. Should be pretty "common sense" that going from almost 0 activity to 4-5 hours of exercise a day (in my case) is gonna mean some growing pains. But I'm 100% fine now, despite some random craziness. :p

Really didnt enjoy todays session.

Session Included: Back/Bi's/Abs

Wide Grip Chinups
2x5 (spotted) could only get one out myself

Neutral Pullups
2x5 (spotted) Could only get one again

WTF, im getting WORSE at pullups. A few months ago i could do 3 pullups at a push. Lately iv been struggling with one! Pissed off.

Deadlifts
1x10 (220lbs)
1x6 (264lbs)
1x12 (176lbs)

Back was hurting (lower) for some reason so i had to stay light.

Pulldowns Wide Grip
1x10
1x5 (heavy weight)
1x10
1x12

Need to find out the weights.

DB BOR's
1x8 (60.5lbs)
2x8 (66lbs)

Situps
3 sets to near failure on 3 different stations

DB Curls
3x10

Cardio
10 mins fast pace on the bike.

Bit pissed off lately. Shins are hurting, my back was hurting, getting worse at pullups and..........to top it all off.........LOL

My mate went to weigh his self, so i thought f**k it i might aswell even though i weighed in at 223 on saturday. I stood on the scales and i was 228!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF.

Theres noway iv put 5 pound on in 3-4 days LOL.

Really didnt enjoy todays session.

Bit pissed off lately. Shins are hurting, my back was hurting, getting worse at pullups and..........to top it all off.........LOL

My mate went to weigh his self, so i thought f**k it i might aswell even though i weighed in at 223 on saturday. I stood on the scales and i was 228!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF.

Theres noway iv put 5 pound on in 3-4 days LOL.

I'm with you man, I suck at pullups. Lately I've been doing lots of negatives...they really get the blood flowing, and it's a different feeling from just doing them normally, so I hope it helps. I hate doing them because I am so crappy at em.

Sometimes things are ****ty man. There was a time when my back hurt for some reason, couldn't DL or squat. It just went away, and I've been good ever since. Stick with it.

Also, you know you can't worry about the scale so much. I will say 228 is a little bizarre, haha, but still...if you are anything like me, my weight can fluctuate 10 pounds. Maybe it would be good for you to do some cal tracking...I know that's the only way I can get the right amount of food.

I happened to have a kickass workout today. :D

Deadlifts
5 x 245
5 x 265
5 x 285
5 x 305
2 x 315
5 x 275
8 x 225

Sweeeet, got a full set in at 305 without losing my grip, I've never even come close before! I gotta say though, my shins and knees are taking a beating. It hurts to do DLs, as the bar slides right above the knees, that little patch is pretty much constantly bruised. I can't be the only one who has this problem? Anybody else? It's unavoidable, since when I'm working with heavy weight, I naturally keep the bar right up against my skin for most of the ROM.

Standing OH Press
5 x 95
5 x 105
5 x 115
4 x 110
4 x 105

Just last week I busted out a set of 5 at 105 pounds. I felt so good this time I just popped on 115 and got it done. The last rep was a struggle, but I got that **** up! Man, I was so damn happy, I hope I keep improving, this is one of my favorite lifts. It would be tight to be pressing the bar with 45s, that would do wonders for my ego. :p

Renegade Rows
5 x 55s
2 x 5 x 60s

T-Bar Rows
3 x 5 x 90

Meh, nothing special on the pulling. Can I just take a cop out and say it had to do with the deadlifts? Haha, oh well, I was so pumped about the DL and OH press getting better I wasn't worried. I also started bringing my dextrose/whey shake and sipping it while lifting, I think it's going to do wonders for my recovery, much less soreness.

Hmmm what sort of programme would you suggest?

Something a bit more fullbody oriented first off. Maybe mix a few low rep sets with some higher rep stuff. A lot of standing exercises.

Ie.

Squat 3,3,8,12
ss with
Step Up 15,15

DB Snatch 12x4
each set followed by
High Pull 12x4

Woodchopper 12x4
ss with
Contralateral OHP & Lunge 10x4

Thats just a quick sample

MMW, brilliant with the DL's and OH Press's, thats good sh1t man. :)

And Tony cheers, only if i trained on my own man. And i would straight try something different like that, but my partner (one of my best mates) wont do half this sh1t, he's quite uneducated. It would probably mean training on my own, which would probaby just seem weird me saying 'im training on my own now'.

So just tell him its time for something different. Once he tries some of the new moves I outlined, he will be crying to stop :D If hes uneducated, and you're following what he wants, then when are you gonna reach your goals?

Honestly I would do an A and B workout split 4x per week. Mix in a few low rep sets and then some high reps. Doing work like that allowed Typ to get his deadlift up to 400 also.

So just tell him its time for something different. Once he tries some of the new moves I outlined, he will be crying to stop :D If hes uneducated, and you're following what he wants, then when are you gonna reach your goals?

Honestly I would do an A and B workout split 4x per week. Mix in a few low rep sets and then some high reps. Doing work like that allowed Typ to get his deadlift up to 400 also.

Cheers Tony man, were doing mainly what i want, i lead the way. It took me time just to get him to do Deadlifts. He wont try new sh1t if he hasnt seen it in the gym (explains how many people in my gym dont no how to train properly).

Although i have been thinking, and will do in the next few months, about getting some heavy fixed DB's, where i could do my own workout at home once a week to practice DB Cleans etc and other new lifts. What do you think to that?

MMW, brilliant with the DL's and OH Press's, thats good sh1t man. :)

And Tony cheers, only if i trained on my own man. And i would straight try something different like that, but my partner (one of my best mates) wont do half this sh1t, he's quite uneducated. It would probably mean training on my own, which would probaby just seem weird me saying 'im training on my own now'.

Thanks man, I was pretty thrilled.

Oh and don't let your buddy hold you back man. I know friends are friends, but just take charge and make things happen. I think Tony knows his stuff pretty dang good. He whipped Typhon's ass into damn good shape.

Just get him excited to try these things. Tell him you've created a new plan (Ill help ya) that should see faster results. Body part splits are for "building" bodies, not best for fat loss IMO.

Get yourself a stop watch or use the clock at the gym. Try instead of 10 reps per set, lift for 30-45 seconds straight. Then switch. Guarenteed toast!

He actually pisses me off a bit sometimes due to his 'uneducated' views. Even though he's my top mate, he thinks like standing up OH pressing can be bad for your back because youve got nothing supporting it etc. LOL, i cant tell him.

Im interested in your idea of lifting for like 30 secs or so straight. How would i approach this though? Would i use the same weight as i usually do and just use my partner to spot me or would i have to lower the weight slightly?

Cheers Big T ;)

You'd have to use whatever weight you like. I cant really tell you that. Just put on a weight and start your reps and the timer. Log how many you get at that weight. If its light, up the weight or vice versa.

Basically you could setup a plan for yourself with wuss mods. So say you want to do standing OHP, you do that and his mod would be to sit. Really you only need the partner there for motivation and that extra push...

Plus, let the results of the program speak for itself.

Cheers again mate, ima definately mention these timed sets and hopefully well get it going. Hes wanting to cut aswell so i suppose he should try most things that are aimed for fat loss.

And start doing some HIIT on off days. Yeah it's hell, but I think it can be a tremendous help.

Im going to, just waiting till my shins feel a bit better and i get some new shoes. :)

Back