Nidda's Diary

Thank you for all the positive reinforcement and feedback LaMaria, Trucylvr, alligatorob and liza. I've read and considered all your comments seriously.

Post for the last two days:

Positive Points:

-I decided not to go to my friends home. When I checked later they said they had eaten out, but they were proud of me for making a healthy change and said they would be more cognizant of the fact when we hang out in the future.
-That day I made meatballs with homemade marinara sauce (I used real tomatoes not canned ones). I also put mixed vegetables in that and a boiled egg.

-Yesterday I was invited to a friends house for a pre-wedding function. I avoided carbs really well. I chose to pick out chicken from the rice and eat that. I also ate four meatballs and two hard-boiled eggs.

-I learned recently that putting lemon in water is really good for balancing your electrolytes in your body instead of flushing them all out, so I've started doing that.

-I weighed myself today and I lost 10 lbs so far! :D
(Preparing myself mentally for when it slows down or stops)

Negative Points:

-The first day I made food at home I got extreme diarrhea meaning I had to go to the bathroom several times at night. Only sharing that because I'm trying to figure out what caused it from my homemade food.
-The second day I also got diarrhea, but only once. It may be excess from yesterday since my body is not really good at digesting food, or it may be something I ate in common from yesterday. I need to keep track of this to figure out what it is: was it the beef meatballs or the boiled eggs?
-I ate two pieces of barfi (an Indian sweet) at the party. Couldn't control myself, but don't regret it... yet.

-Still haven't started any form of exercise
-Stayed up all night binge watching a new show then slept till 2PM X_____x

Coming Up On the Next Episode of Nidda's Life:

Today I'll just be home so it won't be hard to have self-control.

Oh, well done!
That's lovely that your friends are going to be more cognizant of your "diet". That will certainly help. You made a couple of wise choices in the last couple of days. Keep up the good work :)

Yes it is difficult, but just keep at it. The sleep thing is an on-going challenge for me too. A seemingly easy help for health since we just have to lie there and dream but not always the easiest to implement. I hope you can start to limit the internet to help you get to bed!

Sleep... As a night shifter and recovering alcoholic, sleep has always been a point of stress for me as well. When I was first getting sober, I was prescribed a few different things to help with sleep, but didn't want to put a lot of chemicals into my body. Was kind of the point behind getting sober, to get rid of those chemicals as much as possible. I've found two things extremely helpful to me. One of them is Melatonin, which is naturally produced by your own body. It's an over the counter, and at least in the US can be purchased inexpensively. Has no lasting side effects that I am aware of.
The other is much more holistic. Meditation. Its not initially easy to do for a lot of people, especially if you have a mind that overthinks (this describes an awful lot of us here). I found that short, guided meditations (which can easily be found online) can help get your mind into the state where you can reset your thoughts and settle your mind. There are a bunch of different types; mindfulness, grounding, heart alignment, chakra cleansing, etc. Each varies in length, and eventually, when you get into some practice, you don't need the guided stuff to bring yourself beck to where you need to be. I still like the guided meditations for the simple reason that sometimes I find certain voices to be almost hypnotic, easily slipping me into that relaxed state.

Congrats on the 10 lbs! And you are wise to understand that weight loss can slow and/or stop, being prepared will help. Just remember the goal is to eat right and slowly lose fat, so long as you do the former the latter will happen, but sometimes slowly.

I like how you structure your diary, the positive and negative points are good - and informative. You write well.

Keep up the good work!

Congrats on the 10 pound loss Nidda and the on-going wise choices you are making!
Hopefully you can find the cause of the diarrhea and avoid it in future.
I find the lemon juice in water really satisfying too.

Hey Nidda, I'm new here and just starting reading part of your diary. I read some at the beginning and some at the end. It looks like you're succeeding which is great!

I was sorry you feel like you have to lose the weight to be able to get married and have a kid though-- I wish our world didn't operate like that. I just wanted to throw in a plug for the option of having a kid on your own if you decide you want to someday. It has some big advantages over the marriage way of doing it, although you have to plan to handle the obvious disadvantages too. Sounds like you're a planner. But I've only read a couple of your posts, so don't take my advice too seriously:). I'm up way too late and better go to bed. I hope your success continues inching along, as these things do, and I'm sure it will.

Sleep... As a night shifter and recovering alcoholic, sleep has always been a point of stress for me as well. When I was first getting sober, I was prescribed a few different things to help with sleep, but didn't want to put a lot of chemicals into my body. Was kind of the point behind getting sober, to get rid of those chemicals as much as possible. I've found two things extremely helpful to me. One of them is Melatonin, which is naturally produced by your own body. It's an over the counter, and at least in the US can be purchased inexpensively. Has no lasting side effects that I am aware of.
The other is much more holistic. Meditation. Its not initially easy to do for a lot of people, especially if you have a mind that overthinks (this describes an awful lot of us here). I found that short, guided meditations (which can easily be found online) can help get your mind into the state where you can reset your thoughts and settle your mind. There are a bunch of different types; mindfulness, grounding, heart alignment, chakra cleansing, etc. Each varies in length, and eventually, when you get into some practice, you don't need the guided stuff to bring yourself beck to where you need to be. I still like the guided meditations for the simple reason that sometimes I find certain voices to be almost hypnotic, easily slipping me into that relaxed state.

Thank you for the suggestions. Right now my problem is I have internet addiction so I stay up past midnight surfing the internet doing who knows what - things I don't even remember. I need to deal with that so am seeing a therapist.

Congrats on the 10 lbs! And you are wise to understand that weight loss can slow and/or stop, being prepared will help. Just remember the goal is to eat right and slowly lose fat, so long as you do the former the latter will happen, but sometimes slowly.

I like how you structure your diary, the positive and negative points are good - and informative. You write well.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you ^____^
I was wondering whether I should make it more concise, but I guess I'll keep it the way it is right now.

Congrats on the 10 pound loss Nidda and the on-going wise choices you are making!
Hopefully you can find the cause of the diarrhea and avoid it in future.
I find the lemon juice in water really satisfying too.

Yes, lemon water is amazing! Right now it is summer break (I'm a teacher), so it is easier for me to do lemon water. I am wondering how I am going to keep it up when work has started though...

Hey Nidda, I'm new here and just starting reading part of your diary. I read some at the beginning and some at the end. It looks like you're succeeding which is great!

I was sorry you feel like you have to lose the weight to be able to get married and have a kid though-- I wish our world didn't operate like that. I just wanted to throw in a plug for the option of having a kid on your own if you decide you want to someday. It has some big advantages over the marriage way of doing it, although you have to plan to handle the obvious disadvantages too. Sounds like you're a planner. But I've only read a couple of your posts, so don't take my advice too seriously:). I'm up way too late and better go to bed. I hope your success continues inching along, as these things do, and I'm sure it will.

LOL I've been thinking about that already. Except I don't think I can go at rearing a child all by myself.
When my nephew and niece come over I get tired just hanging out with them for an hour.

I've been a bit lazy to post :( Also, I got my COVID vaccine, which made me very lethargic.

Positive Points:

-I've been at home most days so have been continuing with OMAD and eating healthy nutritious foods.
-I went to a wedding function yesterday (yes there are too many nowadays!) and I mostly ate protein. It sucks that none of these functions so far have options for green food.
-I ate a sugary dessert that I rarely have at the wedding function and it wasn't as tasty as usual after a few bites. I am hoping that means my taste buds have changed.

-I lost 12 lbs so far

Negative Points:

-I ate some carbs (i.e. rice), though it was a controlled portion. I think that is fine if I am not dieting, but making a "life style change."
-I ate three pieces of candy O___O
-I ate a plateful of a sweet dessert. I should have done portion control and gotten WAY less.

Coming Up On the Next Episode of Nidda's Life:

I'm just going to be at home until July 21th, on which day it is Eid so not that much is happening.
I'm trying to go out to buy more greens, but I keep procrastinating. I've mostly just been eating protein.
I'm going to meet with a therapist to address my internet addiction issues as it is wreaking havoc in my life.

Sounds like you're doing well! Glad to hear you're getting help for the internet troubles. We all need a bit of support sometimes.

LOL I've been thinking about that already. Except I don't think I can go at rearing a child all by myself.
When my nephew and niece come over I get tired just hanging out with them for an hour.
Yeah, haha, they are tiring. I guess you prolly have to be up for more than an hour of taking care of them at a time if you want to be a parent. But finding family or friends who really want to help raise a kid, if you can, or saving up to be able to hire babysitters, if you can, are some other ways to manage it. I'm really not sure whether the alternatives are more difficult than a partner or not :p

Back