Rob's Diary

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why it might be sensible to start by looking at what your body does right now. You're keeping track of all you eat, all you do, and how much you weigh. Over a week or two that should give you enough information to check which system most closely models your exercise calories (knowing that burning a kilo of fat gives you around 7000 kcal to work with).

Thanks, LaMaria. I see what you mean. My scale is not very precise and I've already lost 4 pounds since I started tracking this closely. I don't know what this is commonly referred to as but it happens when I start a new eating routine or diet. I think of it as a "dip". I'm not drinking water any more or less than I was previously and I weigh myself at about the same time everyday but my weight can fluctuate by several pounds or more throughout the day. I think it will take more than a couple weeks worth of data but we shall see. I'm going to try to research more. I haven't explored this forum very much at all yet :blush5: and it looks like there's a lot of great information here. I just started following your diary. :)

Today, for lunch, I had:
- 1 turkey burger (BUBBA)
- 2 slices flax sprouted bread (Ezekial 4:9)
- 1 slice red onion
- 1 teaspoon horseradish mustard (store brand)
- 1 slice swiss cheese (store brand)
- 2 chicken breasts (store brand)
- small baby kale, cabbage, arugula, French green beans, red onion, and carrots salad
- 1.5 tbsp light balsamic vinaigrette
Total calories: 788

I felt good this morning but late morning I started getting angry (or "hangry" perhaps) and mentally and physically tired. Now I'm sleepy and a bit sluggish after lunch. Still a bit angry. This would be a binge night probably so I'm going to do my best to avoid it. I've already planned a small dinner and some downtime to rest. I don't plan on going to the gym today.

5-2-19 dinner:
- 1.5 servings baby carrots
- 0.6 cup non-fat Greek yogurt (Chobani)
- 1 serving almonds
- 1 serving pistachios
Total calories: 434

Total calories consumed for 5-2-19: 1778

Exercise:
- no exercise today

Total steps: 6226

Fitbit total calories burned: 3087
MFP calories burned: 2405

Had more anger this evening but I felt like it was more manageable. It wasn't over the top. Screamed out loud a few times and felt better. No binges. Going to bed a little hungry.

That early "dip" is usually water, even if you don't change how much you drink. When someone starts a diet they usually reduce their intake of salt and carbs, both of which influence your water retention.
The anger thing is interesting. Could it be a reaction to feeling deprived of the things you'd like to eat or do? Or maybe to not being able to get your sugar fix?

5-2-19 sleep: 5hr 9min

5-3-19 weight: 249.0 pounds

5-3-19 breakfast:
- slice of sprouted bread with 1/2 avocado
- 2 eggs
- nonfat Greek yogurt with blueberries
- multivitamin and fiber supplement

That early "dip" is usually water, even if you don't change how much you drink. When someone starts a diet they usually reduce their intake of salt and carbs, both of which influence your water retention.
The anger thing is interesting. Could it be a reaction to feeling deprived of the things you'd like to eat or do? Or maybe to not being able to get your sugar fix?

Well that makes sense! :D I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me before. I knew salt could do it but not carbs. That means that the binges have have been having a pretty big impact on me. The last time I binged was on Sunday 4/28 and I ate a lot of carbs and salty food. Yikes!

To your questions, yes, yes, and yes. Food and my emotions are strongly linked. I think it was low blood sugar. I didn't eat anything sweet except for the fruit at breakfast. I have some Medjool dates I'm working my way through that I'll try at lunch today.

I made it through last night without overeating but I didn't sleep that well. I feel good this morning and look forward to a run this afternoon. Even one day without is too much for me right now. The exercise is a bit of an addiction too I think. In the past several months I've been seesawing back and forth between the exercise and overeating. The days ahead, if I can stick with it, will be interesting to see how my mood and energy balances.

Edit: the total calories for my breakfast this morning were 507

I think it was low blood sugar. I didn't eat anything sweet except for the fruit at breakfast.
I assume you do know that you don´t need sugar to keep your blood sugar up/stable? Medjool dates are delicious though, and they may help you eat healthily and still have something sweet when you feel like it.
I feel good this morning and look forward to a run this afternoon. Even one day without is too much for me right now. The exercise is a bit of an addiction too I think. In the past several months I've been seesawing back and forth between the exercise and overeating. The days ahead, if I can stick with it, will be interesting to see how my mood and energy balances.
I think there´s a balance to be found between exercising enough to get your high and not overdoing it. It´s not always easy, but if you can identify some less strenuous activities (walking, swimming, biking, anything you can do at a moderate pace and not feel knackered afterwards) and mix it up a bit you can do it.

I assume you do know that you don´t need sugar to keep your blood sugar up/stable? Medjool dates are delicious though, and they may help you eat healthily and still have something sweet when you feel like it.

I think there´s a balance to be found between exercising enough to get your high and not overdoing it. It´s not always easy, but if you can identify some less strenuous activities (walking, swimming, biking, anything you can do at a moderate pace and not feel knackered afterwards) and mix it up a bit you can do it.

Hmm, not really. Carbs right? Which include sugars. Perhaps better to have complex carbs for slower steadier release? Will starches and fiber do it?

I like to walk and swim sometimes but the running has helped me recover from the medication I was on. I think over time I'll substitute more moderate activity but I'm not ready to give up my current level of running unless it starts causing more harm or interferes with my weight loss to a greater extent. Benefits definitely outweigh the downsides for me right now I believe.

This is really nice of you to be responding and offering your expertise. I don't often come across such nice people. :Angel_anim: I really appreciate your time and input. Please let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

5-3-19 lunch:
- salmon burger on sprouted bread with Swiss cheese
- black beans with tomato, jalapeño, onion
- steamed broccoli
- grilled chicken
Total calories: 781

Great job so far Rob. Amazing that you lost 80 pounds last year.
By setting your goal weight of 189 pounds and putting a time limit on that, and
telling all of us about it, you're really putting yourself out there. I'm impressed.

Based on what you've written, I'd say your motivation is right on point. Sometimes
habits like binge eating get in the way and it's easy to call that a lack of
motivation. It's not. It's just a habit.

As far as energy, it doesn't always have to do with what you're eating, although
eating well definitely helps with energy. Maybe sometimes you're just bored!
What activities give you energy? You mentioned that you love running. I'd definitely keep doing that. What else gives you energy? It can be anything, not just physical activities.

Also, you're in the process of change now. Remember to be kind to yourself. The period when we're changing the most is when we're most likely to beat ourselves up. At least that's what I've found in my experience.

Looking forward to continuing to hear about your journey.

Chris

Hmm, not really. Carbs right? Which include sugars. Perhaps better to have complex carbs for slower steadier release? Will starches and fiber do it?
Complex carbs are definitely going to keep your blood sugar more stable than refined sugars. If you eat refined sugar, without the fiber that would naturally come with it in fruit or starchy veg, so much sugar enters the blood stream all at once that the body over-releases insulin and your blood sugar actually ends up below normal levels despite the recent spike. Other than that in healthy people blood sugar levels will generally take care of themselves and you won't have to eat carbs specifically to keep them up.

I like to walk and swim sometimes but the running has helped me recover from the medication I was on. I think over time I'll substitute more moderate activity but I'm not ready to give up my current level of running unless it starts causing more harm or interferes with my weight loss to a greater extent. Benefits definitely outweigh the downsides for me right now I believe.
And that's fine. Just remember to check in with yourself and learn the signs of physically needing a break (even if that break is just a shorter run sometimes).

5-3-19 snacks:
- chocolate chip protein bar (Rx Bar)
Total calories: 220

5-3-19 dinner:
- Mediterranean salad with chicken (Zoe's kitchen)
Total calories: 690 (from website)

Total calories consumed for 5-2-19: 2198

Exercise:
- 5 mile run on treadmill (treadmill says 1424 calories burned)
- 2 miles walking
- 3 sets front pulldown
- 3 sets bicep curls
Total steps: 21,450

Fitbit total calories burned: 4610
MFP calories burned: 3854

Had a pretty good day. Wasn't very tired or agitated. Just a tad hungry tonight but not much.

Thanks for posting, Chris! Will reply more in the morning.

Just a couple of observations, It would be interesting to see your macro breakdown as some days you look to be lacking protein and other days look ok, the protein is not only needed for good health but is important for maintaining muscle while loosing fat and a protien meal will keep you feeling full for longer, helping to keep cravings and binges at bay.

It is good to see a little bit of weight training in your exercise list but you need more balance in exercise selection, which is important if you wish to remain injury free.

Great job so far Rob. Amazing that you lost 80 pounds last year.
By setting your goal weight of 189 pounds and putting a time limit on that, and
telling all of us about it, you're really putting yourself out there. I'm impressed.

Based on what you've written, I'd say your motivation is right on point. Sometimes
habits like binge eating get in the way and it's easy to call that a lack of
motivation. It's not. It's just a habit.

As far as energy, it doesn't always have to do with what you're eating, although
eating well definitely helps with energy. Maybe sometimes you're just bored!
What activities give you energy? You mentioned that you love running. I'd definitely keep doing that. What else gives you energy? It can be anything, not just physical activities.

Also, you're in the process of change now. Remember to be kind to yourself. The period when we're changing the most is when we're most likely to beat ourselves up. At least that's what I've found in my experience.

Looking forward to continuing to hear about your journey.

Chris

Thanks for posting, Chris! I suppose I am putting myself out there. I've already failed many times but I'm trying to hold myself more accountable to learn as much as I can from others' experiences. I wouldn't be able to without sharing openly and honestly. That far exceeds any fear or risk of failure imo. I know I'll fail at some things but I'll keep trying. Honestly, I'm about 92% certain right now that I won't make 189 by the end of the year but I think I can reduce that % and increase my confidence as I go along.

You've given me some things to think about re other activities. Yes, running keeps me going and is the biggest motivator. There are other activities I engage in that involve personal development and connecting with others. My commitment and purpose here, right now is primarily weight loss and fitness.

5-3-19 sleep: 4hr 35min (!!)

5-4-19 weight: 247.8 pounds

5-4-19 breakfast:
- 2 eggs
- nonfat Greek yogurt with raspberries and blackberries
- multivitamin
- chicken
- 2 tsp chia seeds
Total kcal: 507

After Trusylver asked about my macros, I saw that it would be good to increase my protein so I ate a piece of chicken for breakfast lol. Sleep is concerning to me. For the past 3 months or so I haven't been getting very good sleep and I'm sure this relates to the medication I was taking. It has improved in recent weeks excepting today but I continue to struggle with it. It could very well be related to the exercise as that is when I started running. I was walking pretty far distances previously and had better sleep. I'm certain it all relates to the medication I was on.

Thanks for posting, Trusylver! Here are my macros for the past 3 days.

macros.png

Re overtraining and potential injury, it could very well be that I'm already training too much. I don't think the risk is very high of physical injury at this point but it may be taking a toll on my sleep and mood and making me more irritable but I can't say for certain. What I know is that it helps me tremendously right now. I will not go into the details of what I've been through with the medication I was on but since getting off, vigorous exercise has been unbelievably helpful. When I step off the treadmill and for a few hours, all my symptoms go away and that effect lasts more and more between sessions. It's like a shot of medicine literally. I will try to introduce other activity as I go along and it will eventually happen. I know I'm putting quite a load on my knees with all the running at this weight.

Here's my resting heart rate over the past 6 months. I went from 70 in November down to 55 in April and it's still heading down in May so far. Overtraining would show up here I think but I've made such significant progress, I may not be able to spot it here.

IMG_1159.pngIMG_1160.pngIMG_1161.pngIMG_1162.pngIMG_1163.pngIMG_1164.png

Your dedication definitely shows! As long as you don´t go to extremes you needn´t worry too much about getting it all perfect right at the beginning. Or at all, really. Good enough really IS good enough, and you can always keep tweaking your system as you go.

your protein actually looks good now I can see your macros you are hitting the target range between 138 and 184 grams (based on weight and running activity), it could be a little lower if based on lean mass only but a number for bodyfat% is needed to calculate that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back