Fifa Fever!!!

ManLondon said:
Hi Cheeto, if you go through the thread, you would notice that you are not alone here.
But it was bit too much for me and hence I stopped talking football here. Too many people saying rubbish against England.
My sincere advice? Do yourself a huge favour and talk about football someplace else.
And yes Come on England!!!

What exactly was too much? I thought everyone was behaving pretty objective up to this point... and you have to admit, England deserve a little critique. Yes, they got their results, yes they showed some sparks of brilliance every now and then - but nowhere near where their potential lies.. and therefore we critique. I can't see why you should feel offended.

Moonbeam3 said:
Off topic but...how do you guys feel about video assistance? Especially when a call can cost someone the game.

For the most part referees have done their job but they are only human and they are forced, by the nature of the game to make split second decisions.

I know this would never happen but how about allowing one challange per game and in turn lose a substitution? It would literally probably take less time then half a team arguing with the ref over what they see as a bad call...JMO

Here is what Blatter had to say when questioned:

I totally agree with Chris on this one. All the controversy is an important part in football... I don't want to imagine how it would be if every decision was 100% right. ;)

Cheeto said:
Im sorry to offend anyone but Blatter is a c**k. He doesn't know when to shut up. The stuff that comes out of this guy's mouth just makes you laugh, wanting to end draw games, constantly compaining about England while other countries get away with all sorts, saying women should wear skimpy outfits to increase popularity (ok, I'll let that one pass ;)). Telling rooney he needs a "good clip around the ear". Now he's compaining about how England are playing. What's it to him how a team sets out their tactics? You don't see him complaining about Italy & their dodgy affairs - not to mention equally defensive footy, or the racism hurled at the France team by the spanish crowd the other day. Yeah anyway, got a bit carried away their lol... this threads really making me rant a lot :eek:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3402519.stm

The main reason why Blatter is against England (And Scotland, N.Ireland, Wales) is because when the FIFA committee of 13 members comes together - the UK has 4 votes in those members (they are non removable according to FIFA's doctorate)

Wales, Scotland, England and N.I. always vote in unicen - ie never ever go against one another - therefore have a huge controlling say on world football - FIFA desperately want to reduce this to 1, and bring in a UK team (rather than individuals). This is precisely why FIFA so supported London2012's bid for Olympics - to try to force the FA's to merge to form a UK team for this one tournament - and then you can be sure that will be that.

In addition - the British press do not report the majority - Blatter was right to say Rooney needed a clip around the ear - but he actually said it following Euro2004 - after Rooney had dived in two feet to the Croat goalkeeper's head.

He wants rid of the drawn games to attract the American audience, thats Blatter's ultimate wish. He though is just the figurehead - the men behind him are sane enough to ensure that the majority of his ramblings do not go ahead.

:)

He wouldnt have been cheating if he went to ground and won the freekick - he was being fouled however he decided to carry on. He had to get sent off for what he did.

Cristiano Ronaldo did nothing wrong imo - if you go round stamping on individuals you're going to get his teammates telling the ref you have to get sent off.

If Rooney floors CR then Rooney will be sorted out by Man Utd - Ferguson has already made that one clear - he rates CR as a better prospect than Rooney and thus will try to keep Ronaldo before Rooney.

Cheeto said:
Did you see before the start of the match though? I know I know, Rooney should have better temperemant, but Ronaldo had the nerve to headbutt Rooney before the match even kicked off!

If that was true C. Ronaldo wouldn't have made it out on the pitch :D

I didn't particularly like the Portugal - England game, and in the end I didn't care for the outcome anymore because Portugal played at least equally bad. Ricardo is a mad man though. I don't think Portugal will get into the finals past France, not after yesterday. Zidane was absolutely unbelievable. I rooted for Brazil, but France totally deserved the victory - just as they did against Spain. Who would have thought that?
Italy for world champion :)

Wayne Rooney played straight into the hands of the Portuguese. They knew how to wind him up and they did so.

He allowed himself to get involved, he could have easily turned around and walked away.

He got himself into the situation and shoved Ronaldo - right in front of the referee, straight red, job done.

I'd keep Ronaldo before Rooney, definately. But I'm sure the Sun will launch a campaign to get him out of the country as they did with Alpay after Alpay stroked Beckhams cheek a few years back, remember?

Cheeto said:
I can't believe you'd have Ronaldo over Rooney when you were complaining earlier about Cole being a showboater! Ronaldo is the biggest culprit of this & has no end product to his game. Sure, he's got better since joining United, but still Rooney has far more class and meaning to his game. Even though he has all these skills, he isn't selfish and gets the job done far better than Ronaldo who needs to learn how to cross better once he's finished doing all his tricks.

I'd take Rooney over C.Ronaldo any day, no doubt. The problem is though, that his bad temper is also his biggest asset.. make him mellow (as if it was possible ;)) and he won't be of much use anymore.. but that's hypothetical of course.
I rate CR pretty low and I HOPE he won't join Madrid since I like the club. Him leaving United is close to certain now IMO.

I dont like players with Rooney's attitude - where he thinks he can kick seven shades of sh*t out of a defender and then complain for getting sent off for it.

Cristiano Ronaldo has improved ten fold since joining Man Utd, Rooney was superb at Everton and remains so at Man Utd, but Ronaldo could become even better - they are the best two young players on the planet without doubt - and in terms of their current ability, Rooney is the better of the two, but that fuse will cost him big time.

If the campaign to get divers out of the Premiership is so big then, perhaps the following should find new clubs, and pronto:
Drogba, Gerrard, Owen, Baros, Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy, Henry (Spain game anyone?), Crouch (saw him dive for a penalty earlier this year), Lennon (constantly hitting the deck), Savage, Boa Morte, Malbranque, Scholes, Park, Heskey (well, no longer Premiership...), Mendieta, Yakubu, etc etc.

One hell of a quality league that would be without those lads.

Diving is as much part of the English game as anywhere else, in fact, Leeds introduced it to these shores in the 70s, so dont suggest its a foreign thing.

can ronaldo play in england now ?

i dont think so

on another note ronaldo didnt play that well in the tournament he is way to predictable now he has to mix it up abit

Gerrard I've seen dive in the Premiership on many occaisons. He is a diver - just because he hasnt done it that much for England doesnt hide the fact.

Owen dives regularly for club and country - Argentina 1-0 last world cup - Owen dived. Plus dives regularly for club and country.

I've no problem with players kicking one-another - but what I do have a problem are players who can give it but cant take it.

Did you ever see Roy Keane or Vinny Jones or Julian Dicks ever complain like mad about being sent off? No, they just accept it and go.

moonbeam3 said:
Rooney is good but his attitude will get him in trouble, he's a lose cannon!

I hate to quote myself but...Rooney deserved the red card. End of Story. You can't stomp on someone's groin then shove another player in front of the ref...Brings back Bakahm memories :eek:

France really surprised me, I was rooting for Brazil but they deserved the win for sure.

Oh yeah, Damn Argentinians LOL

This WC has left me exhausted!!

The Italians having the spooky history of 1970, 1982, 1994 finals - every 12 years - so they're still on course for it, an all European final is guaranteed, and will be defensive strength vs attacking flair with either Italy/Germany v France/Portugal - hard to call at this stage as Deco and Costinha will return for Portugal so that theyre at full strength.
I think the similarities with Italys win in 1982 are odd - of course then they were in trouble for betting on their own matches, and facing huge corruption charges, but used it as a catalyst to go on to win it, which looks like what they're doing now with match fixing, and of course Pessotto's attempted suicide the other day will have hit a nerve with most of the Italian squad as he is a popular person within Italian Football.

Very tough to call now - if I were to back any combination for the final, it would be Italy v France, given the experience the players of the two sides have of international tournaments and so forth, of course a re-run of Euro2000 final where Del Piero has memories to banish.

All I have to say about yesterday's game is:

OUCH!

They were litereally 2 minutes away from PKs. Germany would have had a better chance; the first goal could not have come at a better time for the Italians...They played better-no doubt about it but, man, I felt the blow in my gut when the ball went in I just imagine what Jurgen Kilinsman felt :eek:

Yep, the Italians broke the the Germans' hearts. I think Germany can be satisfied though, they played a very good tournament and showed the world that they can play entertaining football. I wouldn't have wanted them in the finals though, I was rooting for Italy. Also Klose is still leading the race for the golden boot.

Portugal - France is on right now but it's not as exciting as yesterday's game. I somehow sense that it will stay 0-1, both teams neutralize each other so far and if it wasn't for the penalty... err on the other hand Henry nearly scored just yet so I'll stop now.

One last thing - do you have candidates for the player of the tournament already? I think for me it's Cannavaro so far... he was impeccable in every game.

From what I heard Portugal dominated the game! I didn't get to see it but I was hoping they would win.

Having said that I am now rooting for Italy...My thoughts on the player of the tournament...I don't know there have been a few stand outs: Maniche, Klose, you mentioned Cannavaro...we'll see. Even some of the old timers like Zidane shone in the end (err, is that right shone or shined LOL-you know what I mean)

It was a good tournament overall! (not over yet though :))

They did have lots of posession but just couldn't score. France did absolutely nothing except for defending after scoring that penalty, not even counter attacks (how annoying). I wanted Portugal to win too.

1. Italy
2. France
3. Germany
4. Portugal

... is what I think. The Golden Ball winner will play the final and it'll depend on the outcome who it will be.
The worldcup was awesome so far.. the next one will take place in South Africa and I want to go there. :D

Me too mr_afk...I need to start saving now though lol. That is annoying! That just means they (France) knew Portugal was playing better and they didn't want to chance it, argh!

I agree with your predictions. I always get kind of sad when it's over :(, it just started the other day, honestly!

Player of the tournament for me is Cannavaro too - Zidane a contender with a big performance in the Final, because he has been brilliant in the knock out stages.

Of course France wont want to chance it - World Cup Semi Final - you don't go out there to entertain!!

chrissmith921 said:
Player of the tournament for me is Cannavaro too - Zidane a contender with a big performance in the Final, because he has been brilliant in the knock out stages.

Of course France wont want to chance it - World Cup Semi Final - you don't go out there to entertain!!

LOl, as long as it's not Barthez, I can't stand that guy lol!!

Back