yoga: how do you get started?

i have been very interested in getting into yoga. where do i start?? i want to do classes, i don't care for videos much...i live in Puyallup, Washington. anyone else from around here? do you know of any good studios/gyms that offer good classes? there is a "Hot Yoga" studio right by my house, but i don't know that i want to start off with hot yoga.

Yoga is really popular these days, so you should have no problem with finding a gym or rece center that is offering it. Just check around at some other places close to you. Chances are that you'll find something pretty quickly.

And yeah, I wouldn't start with hot yoga right away. A lot of people find it much too intense. You should start with traditional styles first. (Ashtanga, Ivengar, Kundalini)

read the book Yoga for Dummies. It exposes you to all the facets of yoga but lets you make up your own mind. It explains all the basic asanas really well also gets into the breathing concept which is the most important.

Good luck, its addicting.

As for my opinion, to get started with yoga, all you need is a quiet room, (it can be inside your house, so you need not to look for gym or yoga centers) , clean and well-ventilated. There are no special equipments used, so its very easy to get started. If you want more information with regards to the yoga basics, then it is best to read some yoga books or watch some videos. Hope these help..

Back