Yoga after workout?

I'm just wondering is it bad for any reason to go do like 30 minutes of cardio before a 1 hr yoga class? Wouldnt that increase the number of calories burnt during the class? Also any idea on how many calories are burnt during a 1hr yoga class? Thanks :)

Why not? Yoga has a lot of stretching exercises in it. I often do it after a weights workout.

I wouldn't be too sure. If you work out hard, a lot of heavy stretching is not going to benifit you as much as it puts you at risk for injury. Light stretching is probably the better alternative. If you want some kind of combonation, yoga before working out sounds better.

30 mins of cardio is nothing. Unless you are sprinting or something.... Resistance training before yoga is not a great idea, but cardio in moderation will do you nothing but good.

This also depends of the type of yoga. Personally, I wouldn't want to get all heated up before a bikram yoga class.

At our gym, there is a 30 minute cardio class before the Pilates class. They found that most people wanted that "sweat" factor, and were going down to the machines after the class, so they decided to incorporate it before.

Crazylegs said:
30 mins of cardio is nothing. Unless you are sprinting or something.... Resistance training before yoga is not a great idea, but cardio in moderation will do you nothing but good.

This also depends of the type of yoga. Personally, I wouldn't want to get all heated up before a bikram yoga class.

Oh whoops, I must have read the first post and the second and thought we were talking about weight lifting. Lawl. Cardio and then yoga is fine.

It depends on the yoga class. If it is a really difficult, "power" yoga class, I wouldn't do much but walk before it. If it's more of a relaxation/stretching class, it should be fine. I say this because a lot of people who don't do yoga correctly or on a regular basis don't realize how hard it actually is, if you intensify the poses.

Bikram yoga is by far the hardest on your body. If you do this, I advise you have plenty of yoga experience and bring a lot of water. You can burn a lot of calories doing this, and I wouldn't exercise before.

Most yoga classes burn anywhere from 150-250 calories, depending on your body size. I use them mostly for shaping, toning, body-weight muscle building, and flexibility work. They are harder if you mix them in with other workouts (your body doesn't know what to expect). However, unless you plan on doing yoga on a very regular basis (every day, at least), I wouldn't rely on this as your main mode of exercise.

The meditative benefits on body stress, however, are fantastic.

In a strict and pure sense of yoga it is against the principles

yoga is about relaxation and calming down the bodily system

however, much depends on what exercises you select
limit yourself to stretching exercises after a cardio
also it would be advisable to catch up on your breathe

after a weight training session avoid the strenous exercises
stretching exercises and deep breathing exercises could help a lot with recovery
i 'd just heard deep breathing stimulates growth hormones

I find that I am more flexiable in yoga if I have done moderate cardio before hand. But I don't do weight lifting before yoga, it is too hard on my muscles (esp. if it is upper body strength training--just try doing down ward facing dog after that). So if I want to do both yoga and weight lifting in one day (which is often b/c I do yoga almost everyday for the past 7 years) I do yoga first.

if you think yoga is all about stretching it is as good to say
****stretching after a workout is fine****

yoga isnt all about stretching the muscles; all of the exercises you call stretching are designed to nourish the various body parts and their efficient functioning

keep the two seperate from each other

do the normal stretches for every bodypart will very well serve your purpose:)

I have the reverse situation - the yoga class I take is right before the spinning class I also take. I've found the former helps the latter in terms of flexibility and overall muscle readiness for training.

Is this good? I have softball practice from 2-5pm tuesday/thursdays at my college and I added yoga class in from 6pm-7:15pm. I have gone to 2 yoga class sessions so far and I added the class on tuesday and I really like it. I am taking it because I want to sleep better, get real flexible for softball and in general, balance, and better breathing, etc.

"30 minutesof cardio is nothing"

it is NOT nothing. it's maybe not a good hour long job but it benefits me plenty! I also walk in 15 or 30 minute chunks of time; whatever I have.

Yoga Before Workout

My work out regimen was cardio (spin/group/other machines) 5 days and weight training 3 days. My gym also has Bikram Yoga(BY) but never dared to think about it. Somehow I was persuaded by bunch of friends and now I have incorporated 4 times BY into my existing program. Initially I was also confused whether to do BY first or last, then was told by BY instructors that body tends to work at its best if BY is done first because it opens up the joints and muscles are expanded ready for more intense workout. It was a double edged sword because both BY and other takes a lot of energy so which one will be first.

I know it's a drag to think of another workout after finishing sweaty workout, and I had to really push this regimen to see where it takes me at last. My body seems to be responding extremely well by combing all of the above in 5-6 days/week plan. You can alternate your program as well if you have time.

Only suggestion would be BY is very intense, all the more due to 105degree temperature + humidity and may make you breathless but the good news it's doable. Just keep "I can do" attitude and try for 2 weeks. Drink lots and lots of liquid all day, fresh veg and moderate quantity of fruit juice with other nutritional diet you should see major difference and improvement in energy, flexibility, skin, nails, less joint pains and improved concentration and trimmer waistline.

Give it a try.
Cheers

Hi there, I think Yoga after Cardio or strength training is a great idea. It helps to lengthen out your muscles, which are typically shortened after cardio exercise. Doing 1.5 hours of any exercise, however, may be too much in one go. You might want to cut it down to 30 mins cardio and 30 mins yoga. If you over train without the right nutrition you can actually start wasting muscle tissue, which is never a good idea cause it lowers your metabolism.
The amount of calories burned in a 1hr yoga class can vary depending on the level and intensity of the class as well as your height, weight and age. There are many calorie counters online which would allow you to enter in your details to see how many calories you would personally consume during different exercises.
Hope that helps:)

well i have been doing yoga and here are few of the things i have been following with my friend circle in gym ..mountain pose, revolved triangle prep, low pushup, mountain pose repeat on other side, plank.

KB, it really depends on the type of yoga you are doing. If you are doing something like Power yoga or Bikram it could work since you are building your heart rate. But if you are doing more of a slower type of yoga, then I would not suggest it since the idea behind yoga is to build your energy (or "prana") slowly through the class. That being said, a "good" yoga class should really get you to break a sweat and raise your heart beat. If you are not getting that from your yoga class, try another style like Power or Bikram.

Good luck!

Back