Workout on training day

Can not get around the fact that I have to go to the gym on the same day as 2 of my rugby training days due to a busy schedule. I don't want to be tired or aching when participating in rugby training sessions so was looking for suggestions on what kind of workouts I could do in the gym on the same day including weights?

It's not necessarily a problem to double up workouts. You will probably be less fatigued for your rugby practices if you limit your resistance training. Rugby is a leg-driven sport, so going a bit light or not doing legs at all on these double days might be a good idea. Getting in some cardio is actually beneficia, but it would be a good idea to stay away from High Intensity Interval Training on those days, as HIIT demands legitimate recovery time.

Above all, you need to pay acute attention to how your body responds. If you find yourself overly fatigued, then you might want to cut back or cut out the two-a-days altogether. It's likely though that you'll be able to find a workable balance.

Back