Workout for functional strength

Hi, first off I'd like to say that I'm 16 (in a few days at least) and have been doing Karate for over 10 years including competing at national competitions so I'm quite strong and very fit already.

I've always been fascinated by impressive calisthenics/bodyweight exercises such as handstands, the human flag, planche press ups etc. and would love to be able to do them. So I've researched that bodyweight exercise is much better for these types of gymnastic style exercises, however I don't really know where to start and what sort of workout to be doing.

So I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of workout programmes or the type of things I should be doing to achieve these goals. I don't really want to spend much money however I would be willing to spend a bit if something looks promising.

Thanks to anyone who offers any help and if you want me to give any more info just ask.

Huww,

I'm similar to you in that I love bodyweight moves - it's important to be able to master these movements to reach your full athletic potential. Maybe you could tell us what kind of bodyweight moves you're currently doing?

Search google for the exercises you're interested in with the word 'progressions' next to it - this will till you how to advance. Brooks Kubik's book 'Dinosaur Bodyweight Training' is also fantastic for this stuff, buy it!

Here are a couple things that should help get you started.

This is a site with lots of awesome tutorials on all levels of bodyweight exercises: Beastskills.com

And here are a few of the different exercises I have been working on to improve strength and power:

Hope that helps.

I don't want to link to my site as a new user on here (in case it is consider spamming), but the program sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Just google 'Start Bodyweight'

Body weight squat. One of the best strength exercises for building all-around functional lower body strength is the mighty squat. Squats work nearly every muscle in your legs, while also building the necessary core strength to help you with day-to-day movements involving pushing, pulling and lifting. (INDIAN WORKOUTS)

Back