WLF Member Recipes (Healthy, Unhealthy, Whatever)...

ChefChiTown

I've been in a really big "recipe sharing" mood lately for some reason, so I thought I would start a thread where we could all share some recipes with each other. I know that we have the "Recipes" subsection on the forum already, but that's all healthy crap. And, who wants that? Right? Pssh...you know?

Anyway, this is a thread that can be used to share our favorite recipes, whether they are good for us or not. Share your favorite recipes, whether you found them in a cookbook, learned it from your grandmother or created it all on your own. We'd love to hear about your favorite things to make at home, so feel free to share.

So, I'll start it off. I've been wanting chili really bad today for some reason, so I'll share my own personal recipe for chili.

Chili

Ingredients

Ground Beef, 2 lb
Bacon, 1/2 lb (1” inch strips)
Ham Hock, 1 each
White Wine, ½ C
Beef Stock, 1 C
Tomato Puree, 32 oz
Onion, 1 C (small dice)
Green Pepper, 1 C (small dice)
Garlic, 2 tsp (creamed)
Thyme, 1 tsp (fresh, leaves only)
Sage, ½ tsp (fresh, minced)
Kidney Beans, 3 C (drained)
Chile Powder, 5 TBL (I use 3 TBL of ancho powder and 2 TBL of guajillo powder, but you can use whatever you like)
Cumin, 2 TBL
Dried Mustard, 1 tsp
Cayenne, ½ tsp
Salt
Pepper

Directions

- In a large stock pot, render the bacon fat over medium heat. Cook until the bacon is crisp. Remove the bacon and drain on a paper towel. Leave the fat in the pot.
- Add the onion, green pepper, garlic, thyme, sage and dried mustard along with a pinch of salt. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onions begin to soften.
- Turn the heat to high and add the white wine. Let the white wine come to a boil and reduce it until it is au sec (almost gone).
- Add the ground beef, chile powder, cumin and cayenne along with a pinch of salt. Cook until the ground beef is cooked all the way through.
- Add the tomato puree, beef stock and kidney beans.
- Place the ham hock into the pot and wiggle it down so it is as close to the bottom of the pot as you can get it.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and then drop it to a simmer (no bubbles, just steam).
- Cover the pot and simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
- Remove the ham hock.
- Add the reserved bacon into the chili.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- Serve in a bowl with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and sour cream (optional).

Taco Seasoning

Ingredients

Chile Powder, 4 TBL
Cumin, 2 TBL
Dried Oregano, 1 TBL
Paprikia, 1 TBL
Onion Powder, 2 tsp
Garlic Powder, 2 tsp
Salt, 2 tsp
Pepper, 2 tsp
Ground Mustard, 1 tsp
Sugar, 1 tsp
Thyme, 1 tsp (dried)

Directions

- Add all ingredients to a small plastic container
- Place the lid on the container
- Shake the container to mix the ingredients
- Store in the plastic container until you are ready to use it

Chef, thanks for posting that Taco Seasoning recipe! So much better than buying the pre-packaged stuff from the store! This has much less salt and no weird preservatives :)

Chef, thanks for posting that Taco Seasoning recipe! So much better than buying the pre-packaged stuff from the store! This has much less salt and no weird preservatives :)

You're welcome. I just hope you enjoy the taste, HAHAHA. Anyway, glad I could be of service. If you like spicier tacos, add more cayenne or try using a spicier blend of chile powder. Every blend of chile powder is different, so play around, you know?

Back