Why We Eat (Too Much) - Dr Andrew Jenkinson - Anybody have experience with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CVB

I've been doing this a month. I sincerely believe he has "cracked" this thing (so that is exciting) but also frustrating as I have done it for a month and haven't lost any weight. So, I am thinking I maybe need to "add something" to it or change what I am doing a bit. Hoping to find someone who is also doing it. There seem to be no forum on the internet specifically for this "diet" (really a "way of eating"). FYI, if you don't know this diet, it is very new. Written by UK bariatric surgeon. Rules are fairly simple - drastically reduce Omega 6 (no veg oil, no nuts, choose meats carefully) plus no sugar and no wheat. Eat as much as you want. Conventional dieting = bad idea = higher weight over the long term. Thanks.

The rules of this diet sound arbitrary but if it helps you choose more fresh foods it could very well help you get healthier. And if you normally gain weight from month to month not doing so may be a good start all in itself.

I agree with LaMa, the rules do sound a bit odd. The truth is any diet that results in you eating fewer calories than you burn will work for weight loss. If this one does that for you more comfortably than others then its great. There are more diets and diet schemes out there than you can imagine, most you have never heard of and never will.

Best of luck with it, keep us informed as to your progress!

Obviously I am not going to go out and buy his book however he is a surgeon not a dietitian. It sounds like he is promoting some good basic nutritional guideline that have been shown to work, mixed with some outlandish claims and diet rules to generate controversy and attention to sell his book, It looks like the diet is more about making money for the surgeon rather than being a quality diet book.

Hmmm. Interesting replies. I guess I think in 10 years Jenkinson will be proven right. I have not explained what he is saying very well. He is really talking a great deal about people having a weight "set point" and that omega 6 mucks up the hormonal mechanism causing the set point to rachet up. Furthermore, he argues that conventional dieting (calorie restriction) is counter productive (over the long term) as it results in more "rachet up". I am quite convinced he has the science right. I'm just looking for some "community" and then some ideas on "pushing it" a little bit (as I would actually like to lose weight). Jenkinson did make a bit of splash back in January on some TV shows and things but really it is obvious he hasn't got much traction yet (as there is no forum or anything and as all of you are unaware). Quite interesting. I think Jenkinson does a great job on the science but really there is a whole separate subject "how does one actually do this" and that he is not addressing in detail. Anyway. There are obviously zillions of books but really that is not true. Books basically break into "low calorie", "low carb / insulin" and "fad" (cabbage soup diet or whatever). The book breaks new ground as he is saying the gross excess of Omega 6 in the "modern food system' is the KEY thing. Many people have talked about Omega 3 vs Omega 6 balance for a long time (15 years?) but nobody has before has said "this is the most important thing". Anyway. THANKS for the replies and have a great day.

we eat too much. something i have said now for years. for thousands of years humans had no ready access to food. it was seasonal... it was scarce. today there is food everywhere. it's not that hard to see the problem.

Anything with includes
Eat as much as you want.
giving
I have done it for a month and haven't lost any weight

is not a huge surprise...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back