Why do some people binge eat?

Maybe some binging for people is just being so hungry after a diet.
And I've read that after weight loss our body fights back causing more hunger so then we end up regaining.
Maybe, certainly some truth in the wanting to eat more after dieting. I certainly have that problem.

However for me its more than that, I was obese because I binged, and I could binge at any weight, not just after losing.

Were you a binge eater before you went on the diet?

Maybe, certainly some truth in the wanting to eat more after dieting. I certainly have that problem.

However for me its more than that, I was obese because I binged, and I could binge at any weight, not just after losing.

Were you a binge eater before you went on the diet?
If I'm remembering back right I think I didn't binge before dieting.
I overate alot but didn't binge.

Today I took 3 chocolates from the bowl at physical therapy... I should have known better. On my way home I found myself planning a binge... it would have been so easy. Not sure how I resisted, but I did, so far anyway. Not too many calories in those treats, but what they did to my brain was a problem.
If I'm remembering back right I think I didn't binge before dieting.
I overate alot but didn't binge.
That is interesting, so for a long time you were a big eater, but not a binger? Have you had any success in stopping the bingeing?

Today I took 3 chocolates from the bowl at physical therapy... I should have known better. On my way home I found myself planning a binge... it would have been so easy. Not sure how I resisted, but I did, so far anyway. Not too many calories in those treats, but what they did to my brain was a problem.

That is interesting, so for a long time you were a big eater, but not a binger? Have you had any success in stopping the bingeing?
No. I still binge.

Yesterday I really wanted to binge, lots of rationales for it streaming through my head. None rational of course. Not sure how I avoided it, but I did. Came here and read diaries and posts for a while, that helped.
I used to throw away my food or give it to family to hold onto.
Those aren't options anymore. So I just put up with the consequences.
Throwing food away is better than bingeing or overeating. Not great, but better.

Yesterday I really wanted to binge, lots of rationales for it streaming through my head. None rational of course. Not sure how I avoided it, but I did. Came here and read diaries and posts for a while, that helped.

Throwing food away is better than bingeing or overeating. Not great, but better.
Yes I would never throw it away now.
Another thing I tried to do when my circumstances were better for me to do so was just not bringing in food but tiny bits for hypos.(low blood sugar) treatments and then just eat out every day. Not the healthiest but neither was eating a week's worth of food at one time. I thought my tummy would explode!
And then even sometimes I'd eat the hypo foods.
I'm down to a complete bag of chips now 200+ grams each or 6 large chocolate bars ( 100 grams each). Instead of meals sometimes.

Why do you think you binge?
A really important question in my life... and one I fear may go unanswered, or not well answered anyway. I can think of lots of reasons, but none prove consistent, or particularly helpful anyway. Yesterday maybe it was because of returning from a vacation?? Who knows...

Well I just ended (hope its ended anyway) 10 days or so of bingeing. I've not binged like that in years, ate like a 400 lb man, which I will be if it keeps up.

Not sure why, it did begin after getting some baddish medical news. Not life threatening, just not as good as I would like. Not really sure that started it, but it began the same day. And continued through the holidays. Lots of excuses, but no good explanation. I knew what I was doing, and something inside me wanted to stop. Unfortunately I did not...

No answers, just observations, best I can do...

:grouphug: I binged today, after 10 days of doing really well for the holidays and being on vacation. I think it was partly because I couldn't believe I'd done so well and it hadn't felt that hard at all. And partly because I was finally alone again so there was nobody to judge what I was having. I want to do better for the rest of the week so tomorrow morning I'll go shopping for easy fruit, veg, and protein.

Back