Why am I not losing fat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

henev

I am 17 years old, 193 pounds, 5 foot 7 with body fat % of 23.1 and muscle % of 41.1. About two weeks ago I started on this diet that had me loosing weight really quickly (about 8 pounds in 5 days), but then this week it slowed drastically. I think my problem comes from having too much sodium, which would make sense to me because my actual weight isn't dropping, but shouldn't my body fat be decreasing even if I am intaking too much sodium? My diet is really strict, for example, today I had 4 eggs and half an avocado for breakfast, a chicken breast for lunch, and about 4 oz of ground turkey (maybe another half an avocado) for dinner. I am eating right around 1100-1300 calories a day, but I don't get that hungry anymore. I don't eat carbs during the week, but I do add salt and seasonings to all of my meals. Also, the weekends are considered cheats where I am just maintaining my weight by eating around 1900 calories a day. I also do cardio stuff for an hour 3-4 times a week. The past couple days everything is stagnating and I don't know what I am doing wrong. I am also not thirsty very often.

The first weeks loss is water weight, not all fat loss.

during fat loss weight can fluctuate up and down multiple time per week and even multiple times per day. don't weigh every day, pick a time and day of the week to weigh in.

eating keto works best if you don't cheat, adapting to very low carb takes time and each time you cheat with high carbs you have to adapt again.

I have heard tips about carb-waves, where you periodically increase and decrease carbohydrates intake. I have tried to vary GI in some days and it works for me so far. In my first month I am 5 kilos down and I keep on firmly. Intermittent fastening is also working for me.
I have completely shut down salt, it is added in much food. I use salt, only when I drink higher amounts.

Try drinking a pint of water before or after meals, regardless of whether or not you are thirsty. 8 pounds in 5 days is a lot, your body will not be able to keep up that pace, so it naturally will slow down to about 3 pounds a week, then perhaps even less. This is perfectly healthy and fine, losing weight too quickly can do more harm than good. To lose 1 pound you need to burn 500 extra calories a day for the whole week. To lose more than 1, you need to burn twice, or three times as much. Four times as much is borderline dangerous.

Well in the first week you loose weight a bit quickly because your body is doing some thing for which it is not adaptive and as you go your loss get minimum and all that depends on the dieting pattern. There are people who have slow metabolism and that leads to less losses. To triger you can take 2-3 times green tea will will increase your metabolism and oxidate your body fat. Keep in mind that with the dieting you should also concentrate on exercise this will definitely help you.

Green tea is not a silver bullet, studies into green tea have been mixed and most are small or poorly designed, with no control on other metabolic factors (specifically diet) and in the positive studies participants were consuming 4 cups per day, any less and it had zero effect even in the supportive studies. Drink green tea if you like green tea but it is not going to suddenly make you loose weight.

There are some medical conditions that can drive weight gain and make it much harder to lose weight. These include hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and sleep apnea. Certain medications can also make weight loss harder, or even cause weight gain

It is incredibly common for the scale not to budge for a few days (or weeks) at a time. This does NOT mean that you are not losing fat.

Body weight tends to fluctuate by a few pounds. It depends on the foods you are eating, and hormones can also have a major effect on how much water your body holds on to (especially in women).

Also, it is possible to gain muscle at the same time as you lose fat. This is particularly common if you just recently started exercising.

Also, how well your clothes fit and how you look in the mirror can be very telling.

Unless your weight has been stuck at the same point for at least 1-2 weeks, then you probably don't need to worry about anything

Don't cheat on the weekends at the start. All the progress you make in the week is negated by the weekend. After you reach your goals then you can "cheat" more. Do some weight lifting or bodyweight exercises. Not sure what cardio you are doing but don't do steady state- do HIIT

Yes, I feel for OP. I am bit of a yoyo Dieter. When I was 30 I dropped 60lb in no time through exercise and diet. When I was 42, did it again, 265 to 199lb. Same approach.

Now I'm 48, and found myself up again. 245lb as of today. For 6 weeks, I've completely changed my diet to high protien low carbs. This coinciding with 5 days a week of exercise which includes 30 min of free weights, air squats, pushups, jumprope, situps. Then straight to a 3.5mile power walk.
I feel better. I'm sleeping great. My attitude is right but I sense this time something is different then before. In 6 straight weeks I thought I'd loose 10-15lb. But I have actually gained 2 lbs since the start. My waist is the same even though the diet change. Which includes zero alcohol.

I'm in Florida too where it's been 90f plus. I've been sweating and burning up during the pre workout and the 3.5mile.

Why so you think I'm stuck? Any words of encouragement appreciated.

Yes, I feel for OP. I am bit of a yoyo Dieter. When I was 30 I dropped 60lb in no time through exercise and diet. When I was 42, did it again, 265 to 199lb. Same approach.

Now I'm 48, and found myself up again. 245lb as of today. For 6 weeks, I've completely changed my diet to high protien low carbs. This coinciding with 5 days a week of exercise which includes 30 min of free weights, air squats, pushups, jumprope, situps. Then straight to a 3.5mile power walk.
I feel better. I'm sleeping great. My attitude is right but I sense this time something is different then before. In 6 straight weeks I thought I'd loose 10-15lb. But I have actually gained 2 lbs since the start. My waist is the same even though the diet change. Which includes zero alcohol.

I'm in Florida too where it's been 90f plus. I've been sweating and burning up during the pre workout and the 3.5mile.

Why so you think I'm stuck? Any words of encouragement appreciated.
https://weight-loss.fitness.com/threads/information-needed-when-asking-for-help.89399/

without adequate info it is difficult to tell exactly what is happening. what have your changes to bodyfat % been ? measurement changes, not just belly ? calorie intake ? low carb is great for building lean mass. etc

Well said, you’re obviously a life coach, have to had some experience on this topic? If so I’d be interested to know you’re thoughts on why people gain weight back?

Well said, you’re obviously a life coach, have to had some experience on this topic? If so I’d be interested to know you’re thoughts on why people gain weight back?
The first thing I ask of you is to acknowledge that the female body is unique. You gain weight differently, store fat differently, use energy differently… your whole body is structured differently.

This is why it completely baffles me why women would ever try a ‘generic’ weight loss solution.

When someone asks me why I think they’re not losing weight despite all the ‘calorie counting’ and ‘gym hour killing’… I always ask them first if they’re sure the ‘diet’ they’re following takes their body structure, hormones, etc. into consideration. (I normally get a blank stare when I ask this question.)

Let me put this into perspective… you wouldn’t put petrol in a diesel car, right? The fit is just not right.

If you want to lose weight fast and for good, you should follow a program designed specifically for your body.

The reason most people gain the weight back in my opinion is " The fear of gaining the weight Back" Let me put this way lets say you want to have one million dollars and in a short time you achieve your goal what happens next is going to blow your mind because now that you have a million dollars fear of losing it invades your mind and "guess what"? you end up losing the million dollars. I hope that makes sense.

Change your eating habits. Make sure you're eating the right foods. Don't exercise to much. Add herbs and spices to your foods. Stay away from fast food. Cook your own meals. There is many many things people can do to dramatically change the way weight is lost. It's not always exercise exercise exercise. Although a little bit of exercise is needed. Good luck to you.

Stay the course. I'm 64. A year ago I was 50 lbs heavier than I am now. I started at the gym + diet & lost 8 lbs in the first month.
Next month: nothing. Zero change. But I kept at it & the weight started to come off again, at an average of 1 lb per week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back