Where to start, What to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wishes

Coffee Addict
Welcome to the WLF and good for you for taking these first steps in getting fit and healthy :D

I'd start by taking small steps, drink a bit more water, cut your portions a bit, skip the fast food or sodas. Look at whatever it is in your diet and try to improve some small, easy to manage aspects.

Work out your 'triggers' if you have any and find a way to avoid them (tiredness, emotional eating etc)

As you start seeing results, it's easier to continue.

Get out and move a little more - go for a 45 minute brisk walk a couple of times a week if you can, swimming or cycling are also lower impact easy exercises.

A lot of people find counting calories works, if you eat less than you use you will loose weight (dont go below 1200 a day for girls and about 1800 for guys).

Start a journal here in the diary section and we can get to know you and offer support while you reach your goal.
If you feel like some motivation then jump on in to the Challenges threads.

Remember, you CAN do this - it's one day, one meal and one pound at a time

Thanks M2M for contributing to a good portion of this post :)

=====
Image added by AllCdnBoy
=====

Last edited:
some good advice there, thank you for the ideas! :)

yeah, really good tips. what i have been doing other than exercise, lots of water, etc, is making new low cal dinners that i find on the internet. it's fun, and then i always have new things to eat so i don't get bored. my son is eating much healthier now too. btw, you're a cutie, super geek!

Thanks

I joined over the weekend. I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their stories - successes and challenges.

I'm commited to increase my aerobic activities and at least 3 times a week work out for 30 minutes at my target heart rate. I found some one at my gym who is an expert in aerobic exercise and in building stamina.

He found the initial heart rate range I should work at. I haven't been doing it long but I'm finding that toward the end of the session I need to work less to keep the heart rate in the right range. I think this is how you build stamina.

I'm still at my first target range but hope to meet with him each month to get his input.

Everyone on this website - no matter which forum is very open and supportives. The Universe is good and I feel fortunate that I found all of you at this point in my journey. Thanks.

aww im loving this site...ohh btw..im a bit of a computer illiterate...so how the heck do i post my ruler thingy ine here??..lol...apreciate some answer..

Chica, click on one of the tickers and go to the ticker site. It gives you directions there. Place the code for the php boards in your signature. You can find that in your User CP up at the top left. I think there is a thread on the forums about it to.

Sorry for being off topic.

help please

:confused: Hi my name is lora jean and i am a new member but do not understand what to do. well anyway i am a 30 years old female and i am married to a great man but he does not understand what it is like to be over weight and know it is way out of hand and i need all the help i can get. i want to lose the weight because the doc. said that if i would lose the weight then i could have children. so i will be willing to do what ever it takes. will anyone help me???? thanks lj:newangel:

hmm well...do you want to partake in exercise or just improve your eating habits...or do you want to workout AND maintain a balanced and healthy diet. The first thing I did was try working out at a gym..I found it wasn't for me (it's also kind of expensive) so I bought a couple of workout dvds. It's been working fine for me, I even bought a stability balls, dumb bells and a chi ball...so I've got a mini gym in my basement :)

I also find gathering information on different exercises as well as eating healthy is very insightful. I have gained a better understanding about my metabolism and how to eat healthy while on a budget and time crunch.

GOOD LUCK.

Hi all

What a fantastic forum for all kinds of support. Since my first pregnancy, 28 years ago, I have always been interested in and looking for as many weight loss and management tips as possible. I did manage to get my weight back down after every pregnancy (4) using all I learned, and what worked for me. Now I face another challenge---middle age :confused: Yikes! I will be 49 this month, although I don't feel it, but have really noticed changes in my weight. I tend to gain weight during the winter so I am now trying to shed that 'hibernation' weight. I tend not to use a scale; I use my clothes--the ones that I was happiest with my weight when I fit them--as a guide. My guess would be that I have around 15 - 20 lbs to go.
Thanks for taking the time to read my message!

You may want to check out The Harsh Truth thread for some fantastic tips and tricks and truths :)

I am married to a great man but he does not understand what it is like to be over weight “

It might not be that he does not understand it might be that he just does not know how to talk to you about your weight gain. Many guys have a real fear of upsetting their partners feelings, so rather than saying something, they say nothing.

To some men weight is not an issue “they love you just the way you are“.

It might mean you have to sit down with him and explain exactly how being over-weight makes you feel and offer him some benefits “ wouldn’t you like to see me in a tighter skirt, Would'nt you like to see me a few lbs lighter” etc. .

I think that once he feels that your cool about talking about it he will open up as well.

However remind him that you need positive encouragement on a regular basis and not criticism especially when you get days that you just don’t stick to your plan. Once you get him on board I am sure you'll get lots of support

Hope that helps from a male perspective. :)

Hi there

I am new here, so I am not sure if I am doing this right..lol....duh I know! Anyways, I have started exercising and cutting portions just yesterday, so I Have a LONG way to go. I am hoping to find new friends here and some support when I need it or support that I can give! That would be great!

Hi from Canada! I began this journey at the beginning of July after being diagnosed with PCOS. I weighed in at 211 (I am 5'4") and as of Sep. 14 have lost 23 pounds. I still have a good 30 or so to go. Good luck, all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back