Where to start in this journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
What type would this kind of person be in?

"This person wants to lose weight. They're tired of being unhealthy, and cannot wait for the journey to start. They try hard, but can't get going with it. They know what to do. They know how to do it. And, they aren't over obsessive about every little thing. Basically, the only problem they have is getting started, because they know once they're started, they can keep on with it for the rest of their lives."

Yes, that is me. I try and try to get started..but I don't last for more then 3 days?

blah.

Steve- I really wanted to thank you for this post.

I know I'm going against quite a few 'rules' for weight loss but it's working so far. I really decided I need to make changes I can stick with for the rest of my life, and not just for the time being. In the past I kept thinking there is only one way to do this, and that's eat crap I don't enjoy, and work out to the point I'm exhausted. That's not necessarily the case.

The journey is the desitination

In response to the original article, I totally agree, not all, but many of us get focused on the result and forget the steps to get there. Like anything you work for, once you achieve it, you have short term satisfaction, perhaps even happiness from achieving it, but quickly you move onto the next goal or challenge. So, if you are going to work your back side off to lose 50lbs or even more, you may as well enjoy each little victory, each little and big step along the way. Remember, you are a species that requires mountains to climb, growth to be had and that growth comes in many faces; don't get caught up in the result, be conscious of each passing second.

Below is a short article I wrote on this topic. Enjoy.

The Journey is the Destination

Are you going be happy when you get to your ideal weight?

Today, I want to question the idea that so many people think that once they reach their ideal weight that they will be happy. I have heard it over and over again over this year about how “once I lose 20 lbs I will be happy. When I get rid of my bingo wings I will have more confidence and I can do _______ you fill the blank.”

However, this is precisely what is preventing so many of us achieving that exact goal we set out to achieve. We get focused on the destination and get depressed each day that we wake up and we have not GOT THERE “wherever there is?” yet.

I guarantee that if you are not happy now about who you are then you will not be happy when you reach the DESTINATION of weight loss.

It is true, it almost like we wait for that THING to happen so we then actually have permission to feel good about ourselves.

Give yourself permission to FEEL GOOD right now, in this moment, that is why right now is called THE PRESENT.

Have a go, TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION and see what happens, even if just for a while.

Health and light.

Pete

Well that's good to know. I think we all need a slap across the face at times. I know I do.

i suppose u r very right..

not in the literal sense, but yeah some ups and downs help learn a great deal...
so once a while a lesson is good for the progress...

thanks for the enlightening post..!!...

I know, thread necro (but it is a sticky so I thought that I might be forgiven this one sin) but I simply had to do a shoutout to all you type 3's out there, I feel your pain :)

1. Stop sitting on my ass after work and go for a daily walk.
2. Stop drinking soda, they are worthless calories..

This is what I used to do 5 years back......though currently i look my best and have a lean body. Working the entire day hard and to keep me energized endless cups of coffee, food, chips and soda. I became huge like a mountain. So I know these stuff go know-where but your ass and stomach. Stopping these is the only option to loose weight and stay lean. It's been 4 years now, that i have touched a soda can or a chips packet (well chips packet sometimes). I know the disadvantages of being fat and the advantages of staying lean and trust me the later part is soooo much better.

Hi Chris, and welcome! Glad you enjoy our little corner of the internet. Do you have any health, weight, or fitness goals?

Closing this thread as it attracts a crazy amount of spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back