Where do I begin

I've been a member here but have not often visited the forum, mainly due to work schedules, other forums pertaining to my arachnid-keeping hobby and just plain lazyness, too. I'll be honest.

I am receovering from appendicitis, and the staples should be removed this afternoon, but I feel really good and confident I can begin working out once more.

I tend to have a problem with keeping a steady schedule, however, and don't know where to begin now. I'm pretty familiar with weightlifting but I know that isn't all that I should do. I also do the Kathy Smith Workout DVD and Billy Blanks Tae-Boe, the warm up cardio normally lasts about an hour with another 30 - 60 minutes of weightlifting on the CROSSBOW machine, I've seen results in the past, but due to surgery I have lost fat - which is good.

I don't know where to begin and I am hoping I can get some pretty good responses from fellow members here, as I am looking forward to building muscle definition and reducing my body fat even more. I currently weigh in at 128 lbs and I'm quite short at 5', and I would really love to get some advice, and help - especially because I am seriously considering getting into a healthy diet through e-Diets.com but I don't even know about nutrition in order to achieve the results I desire.

My main problem is Pepsi addiction as I feel I must have the sugar and coffee throughout the day, and I now know sugar turns into fat etc. There are just so many things I've read around through books and online research I am quite confused.

Please help.

Last edited:
It's great you want to make a positive change. You're motivated, and that's the first step.

Diet is tough. In my experience, everyone needs to find what works for them - there is no one uniform diet that can work for everyone, or even a majority of people. If you have the extra cash flow, see a professional nutritionist. They can develop a diet plan based around what you like and dislike.

Exercise is much easier. While it too needs to be customized for the individual, it's paradoxically easier. I'm not sure about a CROSSBOW machine, I don't know anything about it. My suggestion though would be to pick up some dumbbells. They're cheap, and you can just do them wherever and whenever you want. Don't let your ego get the better of you - start small. I'm male, 5'6" with a large frame, but I started with 3 pound dumbbells. I moved up until I got to 12 pound DBs, which I use now.

And remember... do not exert yourself physically until you're sure you feel better. I know it's tempting after recovering from an illness or surgery to make up for lost time, but resist the urge, for the good of your health.

Hey, thank you so much for replying to my humble request. I appreciate that. I am now down to 120 lbs. !! So I'm getting really lean, especially after being on a liquid diet at the hospital, then into a low-fat diet and now I am eating regularly, however, I have cut back on a lot of sweets and high fat foods in order to maintain my weight.

I will begin working out this evening doing some Kickboxing/Tae Bo, and then gradually move up on the weightlifting - my goal is to get lean and cut. To be able to get some nice muscle defination - I guess I may ask too much of myself but, I think I 've finally found the right diets and foods I should take in order to stay healthy and achieve my goals.

What do you think?

If you've found a diet that you can maintain a healthy weight at, stick with it. But just be aware... your body uses up a lot of energy repairing your muscles after you workout, so they can get bigger. So make sure you get enough protein!

Once you've established a good diet through trial and error (don't worry, it's easier than it sounds), you'll want to start a weight lifting program when you're ready. A personal trainer is handy, but they're expensive. If you're doing the weight lifting at home, the cheapest way is to get yourself a few dumbbells and start going at it. They're very versatile. Just make sure you have a good workout routine, and you'll be fine. If you need help with that, post another message, I'm sure myself or someone else can make one up for you (we're the ultimate combo of nerd and jock here).

Since bulking isn't a concern, you can stay away from supplements. I stay away from supplements myself, as I wonder if they would interfere with some of the prescribed medication I take, but one that I know is safe is whey protein. It's an excellent source of protein.

One last thing. On a psychological note, I find there's something that gives me a bit of a boost. Fingerless workout gloves. When I put them on, I feel like the baddest mofo who ever stood 5'6". Of course, they also have the additional advantage of a sturdier grip and preventing sweaty slippage, but I find their real value is psychological. Just something to consider.

Back