when and how to do HIIT

i've heard some suggestions saying to do it in the morning on an empty stomach. i've also read that doing it on an empty stomach will result in muscle loss. what's the truth?

also, is it necessary to have the time intervals and exertion levels be consistent? for instance, could i perhaps walk for 1 minute, jog for 2 minutes, sprint for 1 minute, walk for 1 minute, jog for 2.5 minutes, sprint for 1 minute, jog for 3 minutes, etc. etc.? or does it have to be sprint 1 min/jog 1 min/sprint 1 min/jog 1 min?

thanks.

I believe that the idea behind doing it on an empty stomach is that your body will rely primarily on body fat for energy rather than carbohydrates AND fat.

However, since body fat is very slow to liberate, it's possible that the body will attempt to get additional energy from muscle proteins.

The ratios affect which energy system in the body is being targetted. For body fat you want a 1:1 - 1:3 rest-to-activity ratio. The closer you are to 1:1, however, the more you target your oxidative (fat burning) system.

so, i tried doing interval training for the first time today. will this be effective?

on a treadmill, lowest incline:

5 min warm up at about 2 mph
1 min fast at about 6.5 mph
1 min slow at about 3 mph
(8 times)
5 min cool down at about 2 mph

i'm planning on doing this first thing in the morning, M-F.

Will this combined with a better diet be enough for visable fat loss?

thanks.

Back