Sport What to eat after a run?

Sport Fitness
What is the optimal meal after a run? I'm looking to lose a few pounds and feel/look my best. I don't want to not eat, but I would like to be smart about my food choices, particularly after a hard workout. Thanks!

A small amount of simple carbs, like a granola bar, is good to have after working out to refill your energy stores, followed by a good protein source to allow for proper muscle recovery. This is why chocolate milk is popular, as it covers both of those.

Simple small balanced meal. Sort of thing you would normally eat but at a size your stomach won't reject after intense activity.
I tend to go for oats, milk and nuts (muesli for the cheapskate) or rice, eggs and oil, light egg fried rice if wasn't cold and less oil. Both hit the spot nicely, got treated to shortbread last week, that was very good.

Everyday I run 30 minutes only and the rest of the 30 minutes I used to walk. Soon after I finished my exercises I have a small rest by sitting outside and I eat small amount of soft cereals and eat a yogurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually eat a banana after workout. Small meals are the best after workout. Fresh fruits are also good for post workout meal. You can also drink or make fruit smoothie after workout it will help you to replenish your energy plus this drink is very refreshing too.

Fruit and nuts are my post-run snack. Yoghurt can be good too, or sometimes if I'm really hungry I'll do a flatbread topped with some nice veg and a sauce.

After Run

You need to get a combo of protein and carbs. good carbs to reload since you've just used a ton of them on a long run, and protein to immediately begin the rebuliding of your muscles.

If you want to lose the weight then it is better to take home-made food with the sufficient amount of water. You may take some energy boost drink for getting energy after running.

You want something to spike your insulin levels and dump nutrients into your depleted body for recovery. Chocolate milk gets referenced for this reason - it has vitamins added alongside some protein and simple sugars.

But I don't like dairy. It's acidic and generally not fun to digest. Try some eggs and fruit, or a protein smoothie with orange juice, vanilla protein powder (hemp if possible), almond milk, and fruit/veggies.

I've actually been having a LOT of success with premade juices from either Whole Foods or Glow Bio. Both are a little pricier but its worth it for the organic "seal of approval." I've been noticing energy spikes, better digestion (and movements!), and also - anecdotally, mostly - some better nail growth!

Agreed that hydration is important... but that's not exactly reinventing the wheel. Get those simpler carbs and proteins into you STAT!

What to eat after a run

what kind of food do you guys eat before a ride?

I am tired of eating nuts, berry bars. it doesnt have enough energy for me.

I become exhausted, and tired after a ride due to hunger

Back