What is the difference between Interval Training and HIIT?

Hey,

I was just wondering if there is a difference between Interval Training and HIIT?
If so, how are they different?

This is my Interval Training (or HIIT, not sure) routine on a Rowing Machine......

- warm up/stretch.
- 2mins rowing, briskly.
- 45sec High Intensity (level 8, the max level on the rowing machine).
- 50sec Low Intensity (rest. level 4 on the rowing machine).
- Repeat that 8-10 times.
- End with 2mins brisk rowing.

Is this any good?
And is this Interval Training or HIIT?

Thank you.

The high intensity stuff- if you find you cannot possibly do another second without feeling as if you'll land on the floor, its HIIT. Its hard to tell from what you have written here.

Alternativly wear a HRM and aim for your heart rate to go as high as possible, I don't know the recommended HIIT heart rates but I'd assume they were somewhere around 90/95%. You may find you hit this on your low intensity times as most of us have a heart rate lag. Mine is 10 seconds (if I stop the high section of interval training and then move onto the low interval section, I don't find my heart rate falls until 10 seconds into this lower intensity section).

See how it works for you. I don't think its the timings that make it HIIT, its the intesity. Its not really possible to judge as one persons 'intense' is different from another persons 'intense'. The point is that it is as intense as you can make it and that your heart rate or however else you measure this is constantly looked at as you will improve your fitness as you carry on and will constantly need to review and add to what you do as time goes on.

Back