What is the best weight loss fitness technique to perform at the gym?

fitmuscle86

The gym is a great place to work up a sweat and burn calories!

But when you are a beginner and new to the gym then all these machines, weights and super-fit people might be a bit overwhelming.

You need an effective workout plan that will support you in achieving your goal: losing weight!

Setting up a workout plan based on the right fitness techniques can be difficult, especially when you are new to this. That's why I will exactly explain in this post what your plan of action should be and what your workout plan should look like.

Let's start at the beginning.

There are three different goals that you can achieve in the gym:

1. Building muscle mass
2. Building muscle strength
3. Increasing muscle stamina and burn calories

Your workout plan determines which of these 3 goals you are working on.

But HOW does my workout plan determine this?

Via the 5 most important elements of your workout plan:

1. The number of exercises per muscle group
2. The amount of repetitions (reps) per set
3. The amount of sets per exercise
4. Rest time
5. Weight

The weight that you select, the amount of reps, sets and exercises and your rest time determine your goal. So when you want to lose weight you are performing a completely different routine then people that focus on developing muscle mass and strength.

f.PNG

In order to lose weight, this is how you should allign the 5 most important elements:

There are 7 different muscle groups is your body. They are divided into big and small muscle groups.

Big: legs, chest and back muscles
Small: biceps, triceps, shoulders and abs

When you focus on losing weight then you should perform at least 4 exercises for the big muscle groups and 3 exercises for the small muscle groups.

When you focus on burning fat you have to perform between 12 and 20 reps per set.

A rep is the number of times you perform a specific exercise, and a set is the number of cycles of reps that you complete.

When you focus on burning fat you have to perform 3 to 4 sets per exercise.

So let's say you perform the leg press. You start by making 12 to 20 reps. That is 1 set. And you repeat that 3 or 4 times. Then you go to the next exercise.

4. Rest time
Your rest time in between sets should not be longer than 1 minute. You want to keep your heartrate up and don't give your body too much time to recover. Keep sweating!

5. Weight
Select a weight with which you are able to make at least 12 reps. If you don't manage to perform 12 reps then decrease the weight.
On the other hand, if you are able to make 20 reps and you still have energy left then increase the weight.

There are also exercises that you perform with just your bodyweight, so without any additional weights like dumbbells or barbells.

What should a workout plan look like in terms of trainings day per week?

That depends on how often you go to the gym.

• If you go 1 day per week you should make sure that you train all 7 different muscle groups on that day.

You can do so by performing exercises that focus one more than just one muscle group. These exercises are called compound exercises.
You can start with 3 compound exercises and after that 1 focus exercise per muscle group.

An example of such a workout plan can be:

Chest press (chest and triceps)
Squat (legs, abs and lower back)
Deadlift (back, shoulders and biceps)

Lat pulldown (back)
Leg press (legs)
Fly (chest)
Dumbbell curl (biceps)
Dips (triceps)
Dumbbell press (shoulders)
Crunch (abs)

• 2 training days per week
Monday: Back, chest, biceps and shoulders
Thursday: Legs, abs and triceps

• 3 training days per week
Monday: Chest and triceps
Wednesday: Back, shoulders and biceps
Saturday: Legs and abs

• 4 training days per week
Monday: Chest and triceps
Tuesday: Back and biceps
Thursday: Shoulders and abs
Saturday: Legs

Good luck!!

@foodandfitness

Via the 5 most important elements of your workout plan:

4. Rest time
5. Weight

No, this is wrong, the most important aspect of a new training plan is to ensure you are able to train in a safe way, suited to your current fitness level, and health. Jumping straight into a cookie cutter program claiming to be "The way to train" is counter productive at best and dangerous at worst.

when you want to lose weight you are performing a completely different routine then people that focus on developing muscle mass and strength.

No, again this is incorrect there is no magic routing for fat loss, however training to build strength is the most efficient way to maintain metabolically active muscle mass while in a calorie deficit for fat loss

When you focus on losing weight then you should perform at least 4 exercises for the big muscle groups and 3 exercises for the small muscle groups.

No, this type of generic programming is likely to cause over training in a beginner, which is the primary group on this forum.

The amount of repetitions (reps) per set
When you focus on burning fat you have to perform between 12 and 20 reps per set.

This is a total waste of time for fat loss, or anything else for that matter unless you are looking for a little bit of endurance.

An example of such a workout plan can be:

Chest press (chest and triceps)
Squat (legs, abs and lower back)
Deadlift (back, shoulders and biceps)

Lat pulldown (back)
Leg press (legs)
Fly (chest)
Dumbbell curl (biceps)
Dips (triceps)
Dumbbell press (shoulders)
Crunch (abs)

This is a terrible sample routine, especially for a beginner, Overloading the Quadriceps, with 3 exercises placing major stress on that muscle group, leading a beginner towards a path of over training and injury. Squat is NOT a back exercise, If you are using your back in the squat you need to re-evaluate your form. Deadlift is NOT a bicep exercise and involved heavy use of the quadriceps. Many of these exercises have a high risk of injury if not done correctly or the person doing them has any form of mobility restriction or stability problems.

@foodandfitness

REPLY IN BOLD

No, this is wrong, the most important aspect of a new training plan is to ensure you are able to train in a safe way, suited to your current fitness level, and health. Jumping straight into a cookie cutter program claiming to be "The way to train" is counter productive at best and dangerous at worst.

Good disclaimer; training in a safe way is important. And make sure that you always feel comfortable in what you doing.

No, again this is incorrect there is no magic routing for fat loss, however training to build strength is the most efficient way to maintain metabolically active muscle mass while in a calorie deficit for fat loss

Who is talking about a magic routine? Losing weight eventually comes down to burning more calories than you consume. In a sustainable, long term approach. This routine helps to burn calories hence, the outcome is fat loss. This is not magic but just simple math.

No, this type of generic programming is likely to cause over training in a beginner, which is the primary group on this forum.

Good disclaimer; whenever your body tells you to stop or that you are going to fast just stop and consult an expert a.i.

This is a total waste of time for fat loss, or anything else for that matter unless you are looking for a little bit of endurance.

As said before: you need to start burning calories. Performing 12 reps has a primaire focus of developing muscle mass. This is an excellent way to burn fat. When performing more than 12 reps the focus shifts to building muscle endurance. Agian, your body will burn calories during this proces hence, weight loss.

Of course each of these 3 goals overlap. When you want to improve strength you will burn fat doing so. And when you aim to develop muscle mass you will get stronger, no question about it. But don't advice beginners to start with 1 or 2 reps on max weight because that will lead to injuries for sure. This technique is a very good first step.

This is a terrible sample routine, especially for a beginner, Overloading the Quadriceps, with 3 exercises placing major stress on that muscle group, leading a beginner towards a path of over training and injury. Squat is NOT a back exercise, If you are using your back in the squat you need to re-evaluate your form. Deadlift is NOT a bicep exercise and involved heavy use of the quadriceps. Many of these exercises have a high risk of injury if not done correctly or the person doing them has any form of mobility restriction or stability problems.

You are wrong. Squat is a compound exercise. More than one muscle needs to work when you perform it. Primarily it's a leg exercise. But at the same time you are training your abs and lower back because they help keep your posture right. Fysiotherapists make people that suffered from a disc hernia in their lower back and are recovering perform squats. This to increase the strength in the lower back. What you mean is that the source of power while permorming the squat should be your legs and never your back. So perform the exercise right, if you need any support ask a personal trainer to assist you the first time(s).

You are wrong. Deadlift is compound exercise. More than one muscle needs to work when you perform it. It is primarily a back exercise but at the same time you are making your arms, abs and legs work as well!

All exercises have a risk of injury when performed wrong. So if you are trying to say 'perform the exercise right, when you feel pain stop immediately and let a professional help you the first times you perform these exercises' then I agree 100%.

Yes they are compound exercises, however Erector Spinae is only a stabiliser, it is NOT a target muscle, No most physiotherapist will not force those with hernias to squat however if you are interested I can provide you with some suggested rehab exercises if you have a problem in that area.

if you need any support ask a personal trainer to assist you the first time(s).

:rotflmao:Do you realise how poorly trained most personal trainers are ? I have seen a LOT of shit being taught by under trained PTs. If you are a PT giving out this sort of advice I would suggest you need to upgrade your training. If you are seriously suggesting I need to see a personal trainer, then you have failed to read my qualifications or my profile lol :rofl:

You are wrong. Deadlift is compound exercise. More than one muscle needs to work when you perform it. It is primarily a back exercise but at the same time you are making your arms, abs and legs work as well!

Yes it is a compound movement, When you combine the quad activation portion of the deadlift with the quad heavy movement of squat and the isolated quad movement of leg press, you are seriously over training a beginner, and failing to provide a well structured program for an advanced lifter.

A PHASED REHABILITATION PROTOCOL FOR ATHLETES WITH LUMBAR INTERVERTEBRAL DISC HERNIATION

For those actually interested in the rehab process for a herniated disk, you will see in the sample exercises, there is no squatting until the final stage where the athlete is preparing for full return to sport, and that squat is a kettle-bell squat, where the bell provides a counter balance as part of developing the correct movement pattern.

Also not shown but a very good rehab exercise is the reverse hyper, the equipment for this is not common, so would be rare to find in an actual rehab program outside of powerlifting where the reverse hyper machine is more common.

A PHASED REHABILITATION PROTOCOL FOR ATHLETES WITH LUMBAR INTERVERTEBRAL DISC HERNIATION

For those actually interested in the rehab process for a herniated disk, you will see in the sample exercises, there is no squatting until the final stage where the athlete is preparing for full return to sport, and that squat is a kettle-bell squat, where the bell provides a counter balance as part of developing the correct movement pattern.

Also not shown but a very good rehab exercise is the reverse hyper, the equipment for this is not common, so would be rare to find in an actual rehab program outside of powerlifting where the reverse hyper machine is more common.

Do you have any more information about rehabbing herniated discs, Tru? I found this post of yours because I’m doing the reverse hyper now for my bulging discs (3-4 and 4-5) and stenoses. It seems like it’ll help but I don’t know how to implement this stuff. This article will help.

Do you have any more information about rehabbing herniated discs, Tru?

I don't have personal experience, and I am yet to cover this at Uni, I do know that the inventor of the reverse hyper machine used it to rehab his own back and return to competition, and I am aware of a lot of lifters have had success using it for rehab, however it has not been widely studied scientifically, I believe this study from last year is the only one.

Biomechanical Comparison of the Reverse Hyperextension... : The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research

This study from last year compares it to tradition back extensions and finds that it is "The results of this study support using the RHE as an effective exercise to activate the erector spinae muscles. The RHE also resulted in a more favorable movement profile, with less lumbar flexion and more hip flexion as compared to the HE exercise." and "The results of this study agree with anecdotal evidence that the RHE is an effective low-impact exercise to target the low back musculature."

As far as rehab goes, "Low Impact" is ideal for what your looking for in any rehab program.

@LaMaria may also have some insights into hernia rehab.

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Tru. I don't feel comfortable giving specific rehab advice to people I haven't seen/tested in person and whose exact patient history I haven't read but I can say two general things:
- Try to figure out what caused your problem in the first place and make sure the same thing doesn't happen again. Sounds redundant but most people's problems didn't start with an unavoidable, traumatic injury yet many people skip this step. Were you working out with bad form perhaps? Did you suffer long-term stress/lack of sleep followed by a minor wrong move? Long hours of immobility at work?
- if a bulging or herniated disc is your only problem your back CAN heal. A herniated disc will never be as plump again as it was before it burst but your body cleans up the goop that came out and closes up the tear. And most bulging discs retreat back into place within a year of the onset of symptoms. So don't despair.

I haven't read but I can say two general things:
I think general is all any of us can offer, It is unfortunate that the simple advice to go see a Doctor etc, is so hard for many to achieve due the medical system in some countries.

Thanks, LaMa, for the general thoughts. I’m more hopeful about this healing. It happened because I increased my running volume too quickly - 39 miles one week, 57 the next, a 40 something percent increase. 10% is the recommended increase amount.

My doctor though, who’s seen the MRI images, said I should be able to run. She even said I could push it. I was a little confused honestly because you can certainly see the bulging and stenoses on the MRI. PT guys said I could change the tissue with a ton of core and hip work and get back to it after a few weeks. That didn’t happen and they weren’t more specific.

I‘m taking it easy now though finally anyway (10 miles per week) and doing strengthening exercises. I’ve gained weight but oh well, I wasn’t exactly using the running in a healthy way to aid with weight loss. It’s forced me to have to confront the unhealthy behavior if I really want to keep losing. I’m working on it.

Anyway, thanks. I’ll keep a positive belief that the tear will be repaired and the goop will eventually clear up and the pain and discomfort will go away. I will stay vigilant and do the exercises and go slow on the running. I do not want to take meds or go through surgery.

I was a little confused honestly because you can certainly see the bulging and stenoses on the MRI.
If you take x-rays or mri images of 100 people over the age of... - I think it was 65 - you'll find degenerative changes so bad you'd expect the person to not be able to walk normally in about 5% of them. And 5% is also about the number of people in that age group that has excruciating back problems. But the two don't overlap anywhere near as much as you'd expect. Imaging sometimes confuses the issue more than it clears up and in my opinion if you're not considering surgery anyway it's sometimes better not to look inside because while it won't change your treatment options it can often leave people feeling more fragile than necessary. Which in turn often leads to inactivity and avoidant behavior - both things that are generally bad for your back.
Based on what you wrote if you're listening to your body and taking care to build up your muscles in a relatively balanced way you are most likely going to be ok.

Huh, that's interesting. Thanks, LaMa. There was the pain of course which just shutdown my running. She went on to examine me though as if it had to be something else. I tried to keep active but the pain was mostly there and I lost momentum and hope and fitness because of all the uncertainty.

That's very understandable and I'm so sorry your doctor and therapist couldn't/didn't help you more. The acute phase (first 2 weeks or so) is usually something you just have to ride out and if nobody explains things it can be very scary and make you feel fragile an vulnerable. Which makes it harder to get back on track with the things that help your body.

From my own experience (20+ years in competition judo & 25 + years teaching scuba diving ) I've found the best way to avoid back injury is the maintain strong core muscles. That said, you need to recover from injury for you can work on strengthening your core.
Alternating cold packs & ultrasound have been effective for me when recovering from back injuries.

That's very understandable and I'm so sorry your doctor and therapist couldn't/didn't help you more. The acute phase (first 2 weeks or so) is usually something you just have to ride out and if nobody explains things it can be very scary and make you feel fragile an vulnerable. Which makes it harder to get back on track with the things that help your body.

Thanks, LaMa! I just saw your reply and I appreciate your perspective.

From my own experience (20+ years in competition judo & 25 + years teaching scuba diving ) I've found the best way to avoid back injury is the maintain strong core muscles. That said, you need to recover from injury for you can work on strengthening your core.
Alternating cold packs & ultrasound have been effective for me when recovering from back injuries.

I appreciate the tips, mddolson. Re core, that's what the PT guys seem to be suggesting. Maybe you have a different idea of what that involves but they were suggesting 3 sets of 5 different core exercises and a hip exercise 4 days a week and 2 different sciatic stretches 2x a day, 6 days a week. I did that for about 2 months and it made the sciatica worse. It was starting to get to be too much and I'm pretty sure other people have been able to recover without that level of time spent on my core. They seemed rather indifferent about my experience overall and feedback so I stopped seeing them. The reverse hypers I'm doing now seem to be helping and I can do 4 sets every time I go running on the treadmill. I do core work as well.

Thanks for the tips on the cold packs and ultrasound. I can't afford the ultrasound treatment but I will try the ice packs if the pain starts flaring up again.

I see you were saying to recover before working on core to prevent the injury. Well, that's been a challenge but I think I am coming back now.

Just eat less carbs, and oily foods. Have a kitchen discipline, focus on cardio workouts and less weights-more reps. Just don't forget to get enough rest, eat well balance nutrition foods. Good luck bro!

Back