What is impeding my weight loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endless_Effort

Hi so I started my weight loss journey on February 19, 2020, weighing at 200lbs and today April 1st I'm at 187.2lbs.
I'm 34 year old female. Height is 5'4.75"
I eat about 1000-1200 calories a day. I give myself one cheat day a week to eat upto 2000 calories. At first I was consistently losing 2lbs a week sometimes more, but since last week I have only been losing 1lb a week. If that. What could be the reason?
I try to exercise 2-3 times a week burning an average of 200 calories. I eat veggies, lots of cucumbers, grains, and meat. Limiting junk food. Although I lost about 13 lbs so far I have not lost any inches around my belly. Please help.

Hi, Looks like you're doing great actually. 13 lbs in 6 weeks is awesome. It can be helpful to shift how you're thinking about it. It will take a lot of time and the numbers won't be consistent. Don't let that sway you or cause you to lose hope. Try to develop a more long-term mindset and it'll keep coming. You might need to develop some ways to cope mentally. Like posting here for support, motivating music, distracting with movies or activities, someone to talk to, etc. Good luck!

It sounds to me like you are doing really well. Keep doing what you're doing as it's working.

Hi, Looks like you're doing great actually. 13 lbs in 6 weeks is awesome. It can be helpful to shift how you're thinking about it. It will take a lot of time and the numbers won't be consistent. Don't let that sway you or cause you to lose hope. Try to develop a more long-term mindset and it'll keep coming. You might need to develop some ways to cope mentally. Like posting here for support, motivating music, distracting with movies or activities, someone to talk to, etc. Good luck!

Thanks for your comment. I'm getting really discouraged because I don't understand why suddenly I'm not dropping the full 2 lbs anymore. I cannot cut my calories any lower.

Weight-loss almost always slows down after a while as initially, you lose a lot of water weight.

Weight-loss almost always slows down after a while as initially, you lose a lot of water weight.

Thank you. I always heard stories about people losing 10-15lbs in their first few weeks and I thought because I wasn't losing so much I was probably going to lose about 2lbs a week throughout my weight-loss journey. Do you know of any good weight-loss programs? Should I consult a dietitian and get a personal trainer once the lock down is over of-course.

I think finding something that works for you personally, that is sustainable long-term, is the best idea. If you don't know what a healthy diet consists of then maybe a dietician and/or a personal trainer later on if you want to. Neither is probably necessary. Map out a personal plan & then stick to it. No gimmicks or pills needed, just fresh vegetables, fruit, lean protein, fresh air & exercise you enjoy.

I think finding something that works for you personally, that is sustainable long-term, is the best idea. If you don't know what a healthy diet consists of then maybe a dietician and/or a personal trainer later on if you want to. Neither is probably necessary. Map out a personal plan & then stick to it. No gimmicks or pills needed, just fresh vegetables, fruit, lean protein, fresh air & exercise you enjoy.
I really appreciate all your help, thanks again. I think I will stick to my plan for while longer and see how it goes. If I'm not happy with the results then I might look into joining a weight loss program for a short while.

:iagree: with everything Cate said. Important part is to stick to it through the difficult or seemingly slow parts. I get a sense of the eagerness in your posts but it'll work in time. I would not cut anymore calories or try any drastic changes. That's when people typically fail. Stay the course, as long as it's healthy, and play the long game. Keep it sensible and consistent. Don't worry about the 2 pounds per week number. It'll come especially if you're sticking to 1000-1200 with only one cheat day up to 2000 and exercising. It sounds good and hopefully it's very nourishing food.

your last question is the easiest... typically weight comes off in the same order you put it on. with women, the last problem area is usually the hips/ thighs... with men it is the belly. i am down to a BMI of about 24 and i still am trying to get rid of the last bit of gut fat. on top of that, the last few lbs are the hardest to lose.

i calculate your BMI as above 30. you should not be at a point where your weight loss slows. i have been there and i can say that from experience. but you are following an "eat less, move more" diet if i read correctly. that might be your problem. Google "why eat less move more diets <fill in>" ... fail... don't work. etc. my suggestion is always to get smarter about nutrition. do you know the part insulin plays in digestion? do you know the difference between carbohydrate, protein & fat calories? do you know the benefit of maintaining a low(er) insulin to glucagon ratio most of the day?

a good place to start...
Dr. Jason Fung - 'Therapeutic Fasting - Solving the Two-Compartment Problem'

When you live with anxiety, stress, or grief, your body can produce chemical substances like the hormone cortisol that make your body more likely to store fat, especially around the waist. Or you might have not followed the routine to lose weight. Losing weight is tough I know and it next to impossible without daunting task and exercise. I do have a bad weight loss journey and just stop having a daunting task. I do have a program called name removed to lose weight. An intense yoga as per research lets you lose weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back