What is HIIT and what is it good for?

I've noticed a lot of posts that mention HIIT and since I am not really a fitness buff or expert (by any means) I was curious about what HIIT is and how it fits into a fitness program.

Since it seemed to be a fairly hot topic I decided to open up a new forum dedicated to HIIT, not only to get some answers to my own questions, but to generate some discussion that might benefit others who are interested.

So let's fly at it. Here's my first question: What is HIIT?

Have fun everyone :D

Thanks abear, I've copied the whole thread into the forum. I hope it will help add to this forum by giving another thread that has some answers already in it.

Hey, thanks Nolan for starting a forum about this. I had quite a few questions about HIIT and the various posts in here have answered my questions. Thanks everyone! :)

Hi, I have a question about something that was in that link to the other thread:

what is "level 5 intensity"? how do you know when you are at a certain level? what does it mean? :confused:

Also, I've been thinking of doing a workout like this:

Day 1: 45-60 minutes lower intensity cardio (heart rate around 130)
Day 2: 20-30 minutes higher intensity cardio (heart rate around 155)

and just alternate those each day. is that a form of HIIT?

Level 5 is exertion level.

Try to think of it as how hard your exercising.

1 is sitting on a couch
5 is mid range intensity
10 is all out exertion

HIIT is usually performed with varying heartrates in the same workout.

A good starting workout (assuming you can't run for very long distances) is 5 minute warm up, then run for a minute, walk for a minute, repeat 10 times, then cool down for 5 minutes.

I normally peak around 175 bpm at the top range of my heart rate and 130 at the low range.

I've read the articles, listened to recommendations of HIIT, the question I have has anyone really seen any results over the long term with this type of workout. Granted who wouldnt want the fat/calorie burn of a hr cardio session in a 10-20 minute period span. But some haunting ghost in the back of my mind is telling me this is too good to be true. LIke the informercials where they say "Get fit! Only 15 minutes a day!'.

I have been doing interval training in my 60 minute cardio workout limited. I will do my jog on the treadmill 4.6-4.8 mph, then I will do 5 minute spans where I will go from 5.3-6.0. But Im still doing a 60 minute workout. If I was to only do 20 minutes, I think Id feel guilty.

i do HIIT when i'm cutting. i say cutting when i'm actually trying to "lose bodyfat while trying to maintain as much lean bodyweight and strength as possible." its easier to say cutting that to have to type that out each time. :D

my results are in my signature below. dont forgo low intensity cardio completely, its still has a place. ;)

Back