What happened from then to now??

Body building has been around for generations. Ever since man figured out that you could pick up heavy things to gain muscle mass and impress women. What kills me is that 30/40 years ago during the days of the Arnold's, Lou's and Zane's, and even before that, it seemed much simpler to lift weights and gain muscle. The crazy diets and terms like "Adkins", "macro's" and "caloric" weren't thrown around nearly as much as they are today. The guys in the early 1900's weren't sitting around counting their macros and making sure they were only eating at 500 above maintenance. It seems that with the invention of fast food and "quick" meals, calories and carbs needed to be put under a microscope because a lot of the stuff we eat now is empty and worthless. Terms like "hard gainer" have come about, which is really just a nice way of saying "I'm not doing something right". If we could be living back when the only food you got was meat from a butcher, milk left on your front step and veggies from you local farmers market, we wouldn't be having such a hard time seeing gains and size. Everybody wants a magical supplement now or the newest whey shake. Let me tell you, new isn't always better. If I could have eggs and bacon for breakfast, and meat and potatoes for the next two meals every day, you would never see me complain about my size or gains. It's a sad lifting world when the term "dirty bulking" has to come about because some guys just want an excuse to eat McDonalds and pizza every day. Has science just figured out more, or have we gone so far back in nutrition that it's making things that much harder on us?

We have completely lost touch with real food and our bodies are paying the price. The focus on cheap food has not served us well, nor the focus on grains as a cheap source of calories. Even the meat that is commonly available and used in all fast food is reduced in quality because the animals are fed so much grain.

Hard to build a fit and strong body on junk, instead we get fat, get high (bad) cholesterol, high blood pressure, type II diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and eventually, dementia.

Forget the supplements, just eat real, unprocessed food, and do something (movement) with the body every day.

The bad part about that is that "real" unprocessed foods are more expensive. For what reason is beyond me, because you actually don't have to worry about the cost of all the chemicals and preservatives pumped into meat and vegetables. "Real" food is the gourmet way now, and you have to pay the price.

I think at the beginning of every week I'm just going to cook a bunch of chicken, roasted potatoes and peas or corn and throw it in a put container and eat that for breakfast and lunch all week.

Better if you substituted some greens like kale or chard, and added some broccoli or cauliflower, for the peas and corn, but I don't see anything wrong with that plan! I'm a huge fan of quality leftovers!

ah - kale/chard... even collards are all fairly interchangeable IMO. Where you are sort of close to the south you may be used to treating collards as a massive undertaking - we just use them as we would any other green - chop or slice and add to eggs, soup, or steam with other veggies. Actually, in a pinch I consider bagged (organic by my preference) washed spinach to be fast food - super easy to use in anything and everything and the flavor isn't as strong as kale, although neither is the nutritional bang.

There are definitely some totally valid criticisms of that recent study about animal protein vs veggie proteins, but I don't see the harm in boosting the veggie proteins either, so when it works flavor-wise, I love to add some cooked beans (pick a color, any color) to that pile of meat and veggies.

Diet hasn't been simple in a long time. Animals have been bred for fatter stock, turkeys have needed human assistance to breed for centuries. Vegetation food is so far from nature, it's absurd, people stress over GM like we haven't been doing it for millennia.
I eat pretty simply, basic ingredients etc. But ingredients aren't as basic as they once were.
Monitor diet at high level, not macro, the body was designed for variance, so if you are roughly right daily and right overall it works.

I'm fairly well with my diet overall. I will admit that I may have one too many snacks at night, and I have graduated to about three to four cups of coffee in the morning.

I'm fairly well with my diet overall. I will admit that I may have one too many snacks at night, and I have graduated to about three to four cups of coffee in the morning.

I consider coffee an essential nutrient! My body and/or life does not function without it...

Sure is typical for IT. If you need to cripple an IT department covertly you need only switch them to decaf without announcing it. I am considered a freak for many reasons but one is my desire to have my coffee, cold, no milk, no sugar, no coffee, aka plain water.

Sure is typical for IT. If you need to cripple an IT department covertly you need only switch them to decaf without announcing it. I am considered a freak for many reasons but one is my desire to have my coffee, cold, no milk, no sugar, no coffee, aka plain water.

I don't normally like coffee, but I have found 3 ways in which I can enjoy it.

The first is coffee beans coated in chocolate.

The second is milk coffee, by which I don't mean make coffee with boiled water and add milk; I mean boil milk and add coffee.

The third is like the first and second, but keep the milk and chocolate, and remove the coffee. Actually, I like this one a lot.

Chocolate covered coffee beans. Remember having those and assuming stupidly that they where a form of coffee flavoured malteasers rather than actual coffee beans coated in chocolate.
As someone with a daily caffeine intake of little to none that was interesting. I couldn't sleep that night even though my body was telling me I really needed it.
I enjoyed the taste, in fact I enjoy the taste of most coffee things, ice cream etc. but not coffee itself. Same with tea. It seems to be the watery nature of the drink I don't like. I like the smell of a number of good teas etc. but the watery texture just isn't what my mind expects from the rich smell.
Proper chocolate milk is lovely. An old friend introduced me to the idea of using cheap dark chocolate to hot milk. The quality makes such a small difference to taste when in milk it was considered a waste of good chocolate to use it in such a way. Really nice, not done it in years though. Like ovaltine too and that is less tempting to simply eat rather than add to milk.

I'm like that with pumpkin. I like pumpkin soup. I like pumpkin and spinach pizza. But just give me pumpkin and I'll vomit before I successfully swallow it.

I've never had chocolate covered coffee beans. That sounds like something I need to look into. I've never had a problem with my coffee consumption seeing as I don't put anything in it but one spoon of sugar. Besides that, it's hot water run over beans, and I've never been particularly worried about it stunting my growth. If anything, I would drink it to keep from getting taller, but at 30 that's not something I need to worry about anyway.

While I don't actually make it with milk (per Ryan's recipe), my coffees could be mistaken for a chocolate shake - lots of cream but I don't care much about sugar, 3 cups a day and I am happy! Unfortunately, most of my guys (IT - programmers and network gurus) are far more inclined toward huge soft drinks. I am sure they would be better off with coffee as far as calorie and sugar loads.

The time for chocolate covered coffee beans is when one must a long, nasty task - major house cleaning or Christmas shopping for instance. Energizing decadence.

Workout bringing your daily calorie usage to 3,000 calories a day + Nutrition creating an intake of 3,500 calories a day = Weight Loss?

Struggling with this one. Anyone help me out here?

Back