What do you do, to keep healthy?

Yeah, we all workout, and we *try* to eat right....lol ;)

But what else do you do? The military has "wellness" visits for women (none of which I have ever gone to- not a big fan... But they continue to call me and set an apt every year that I continue to not go to. lol)

Not that I don't appreciate someone wanting to look after my health, but they are not the people who are going to do a job worth making the apt for.

However, it got me thinking about what other factors we need to look at when we think about "being healthy"....

We have our physical health, mental health, and what we can do to keep ourselves at our best.

So what do you do? What keeps you balanced?

A beer with your mates, the occasional pub quiz and regular sex keeps me happy and centred

Playing with the kids is what really makes me happy though, sitting down on the sofa on a Saturday night with my daughter once our little boy is in bed to watch a movie and eat popcorn is as good as life gets

A beer with your mates, the occasional pub quiz and regular sex keeps me happy and centred

Playing with the kids is what really makes me happy though, sitting down on the sofa on a Saturday night with my daughter once our little boy is in bed to watch a movie and eat popcorn is as good as life gets

yeah, that sort of relaxing, enjoyment is SO important! Nothing like a good cuddle with the kids during family time.

I also like to relax in the garden sometimes. Though mine has A LOT of work that needs to be done to it, it is nice once in a while to get out there, and clean up, enjoy the fresh air, and nature......

As Typhoon said, playing with kids. I can have had the worst day of my life, but my son laughs or does something and it washes all the stress away. No worries after that.

As for physical health, I see my PCP twice a year. Once for a physical and once to "check-in" and re-up my prescriptions. It is nice to know a dr is checking me twice a year.

As Typhoon said, playing with kids. I can have had the worst day of my life, but my son laughs or does something and it washes all the stress away. No worries after that.

As for physical health, I see my PCP twice a year. Once for a physical and once to "check-in" and re-up my prescriptions. It is nice to know a dr is checking me twice a year.

I sooo need to be on the ball more with that....I lack in this area....

I had a snowball fight with my son and his freind Yesterday

That is just very cool :cool3:

Exercise daily, maintain a healthy weight, don't smoke, eat lots of vegetables and fruit, don't drink more that a drink or two a day of alcohol, meditate.

I sleep mostly only on tuesdays, wednesdays, and weekends.

I smoke weed whenever I don't have any school work to do.

I eat maybe two meals a day.

I neglect my programming for lifting.

I never go outside save for walking to class.

I sit on my ass all day and study and/or surf the internets.

I'm a student and I have been living this life for approx one month-- I've been sick twice since then.

I think it's important to give oneself permission to "waste" time in order to have real balance. We have such busy lives and often end up in a loop where we spend every minute either "doing" or worrying about we should have done/should be doing. And it often becomes impossible to really enjoy pleasant activities. I almost don't think it matters what you do to have balance, as long as you give yourself permission to take some mental time off from the "business" of life while you're doing it.

I think it's important to give oneself permission to "waste" time in order to have real balance. We have such busy lives and often end up in a loop where we spend every minute either "doing" or worrying about we should have done/should be doing. And it often becomes impossible to really enjoy pleasant activities. I almost don't think it matters what you do to have balance, as long as you give yourself permission to take some mental time off from the "business" of life while you're doing it.

I couldn't agree more. The world has become so intolerant of time. Everything should have been done *tomorrow*, every one wants everything *instantly*

People don't stop and smell the flowers anymore........and people are missing everything......

I sleep mostly only on tuesdays, wednesdays, and weekends.

I smoke weed whenever I don't have any school work to do.

I eat maybe two meals a day.

I neglect my programming for lifting.

I never go outside save for walking to class.

I sit on my ass all day and study and/or surf the internets.

I'm a student and I have been living this life for approx one month-- I've been sick twice since then.

hahahaha the truth will set you free!

lol

How do I stay healthy?

Make sure I watch what I eat and stay up on my exercise, that's pretty much all you need to do IMO :)

I always make sure my blood tests are where I want them to be also, but don't go very frequently.

For overall wellbeing, i train kettlebells daily, and lift heavy 3 times a week. As for my diet, I eat no sugar(except some fruit and veggies), no refined carbs or sumple carbs(flour, pasta, etc), keep my protein high and carbs relatively low, consume lots of good fats, and try to eat as natural and as organic as possible. I feel healthier than I have ever been, I am more energetic, down to 6% bodyfat, and my overall mood is just great from day to day. I used to be fat and eat junk food and never work out, so it really does pay off to just put in some hard work and dedication, my quality of life is so much better than it ever has been before.

Well, I can't say I am the most healthy person in the world, but living in 24-hour London where everyone is always too busy on their crackberry to attend more then a monthly yoga class to get their health boost (plus the hundred dozen smoothies and cereal bars inbetween) I'd say I tend to be healtheir then most I come across.

I workout, cardio for 8-10 hours a week every week (even Christmas) I use my heart rate monitor to guide what I do, I know its all false calories but I use 700-1000kcals per gym session (5 a week totalling 4500-5000kcals a week) to go by. This way I tend to want to cut my time and work harder. I never go before I've done an hour and 20 mins though so if I end early I do dumbell type things. Then I stretch, 1 min per pose about 15 mins in total, then if I have time, 10-15 mins on the power plate to stretch that little bit further (it really makes a difference to the degree of stretch I can hold and this makes me feel better for some reason).

Foodwise...could be better. I used to be anorexic, just eat fresh fruit and steamed veg all day/nght, had a BMI of somewhere around 16 and manaed that for a few years. Then I got ill with bulimia (psychological reasons- I was being bullied by my boss and it kick started something) I went down too low and managed to skive hopsital by stopping the bulimia which took over a year, but left me very confused about food. I still see a dietition from time to time now so am aware of how imperfect my food was. See the thing is, you can't just go back to eating steamed veg and fresh fruit after a relaspe of bulimia, you have to learn to manage things and eat proper food like protein and stay away from junk which makes you overly hungry like black coffee with tonnes of sugar and sweetener in.
So now I eat enough protein every day, just about. But I do this via protein bars (v.unhealthy I know) they just feel easier to deal with then the mindfield of meat and are easier to eat on the go then a packet of ham or tuna steak (think London Underground and being in a cage full of people for 3-6 hours of your free time every day, fish would not go down well! Go to a gym and eat but its often too close to a workout or the gym is closing or you get people come staring at what your eating. A protein bar or after a workout a plain yogurt and fresh fruit is do-able!
Breakfast is plain porridge (made with water) and tea (added skimmed milk), dinner is steamed veg and quorn, fish or if I can afford it, a chicken or turkey breast. Multiple helpings of fresh fruit following.

I sleep haphazard- some nights I get 2 or 3 hours if I am lucky (I have insomnia and stress and depression) some days I sleep in till 1pm! (weekend days!) I want to regulate this but its been an impossible battle for the past 15 years. I guess thats my falling grace...

Lifestyle wise I try to reduce stress, I see a therapist for my moods which helps massivly but I seem to re-create my own stress! I see things in a different way to everyone else, everything is much more intense and I get to the end of the day and it all comes back at me- not good and not easy to sleep through! Its a head problem, pills and meditation don't do it for me but talking helps, so I try to do that (with my therapist) and trying to understand it so it feels less of something which is trying to control me, its a never ending battle I guess but as far as healthy goes, its something I am doing to try to get myself healthier.

One day at a time!

Diet - mostly fish, veggies and fruit. Six meals per day, moderate portions.

Exercise - two workouts per week, one or both being 4-6 mile runs.

Family - time with kids (homework, goofing off around the house, vacations), time with spouse (talking, dinners out, vacations).

Other - playing piano, working (I like what I do most of the time), attending church regularly (often more than once per week).

Oh, and as a much wiser person than me once said, chase negative thoughts out of your mind: learn to control your thoughts via meditation.

I think sex is a most important reason of Healthy :valintines:

Back