Weight Loss with Kienbock’s Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleMinx

Hi everyone!

I’ve recently recharged my weight loss efforts, and in particular am finding I have a lot of motivation for exercise lately. I’m 30, and this is probably the first time since...ever...that I’ve felt this motivated to start an exercise challenge and stick with it.

I know that exercise is only part of the battle, and realistically diet is going to be the bigger concern when it comes to lowering my weight. But I’m proud of myself for even just getting going with the exercise.

Trouble is, I also have a condition called Kienbock’s disease. Briefly, the lunate bone in my wrist has lost its blood supply, has died as a result, and is crumbling. It’s painful, and will need to be addressed with surgery (which I’m on a wait list for).

I’m trying to hard with the exercises. I’m so motivated and proud of myself right now. But the Kienbock’s is really dragging me down. There are days I can’t even chop vegetables without massive pain, so any exercises using my hands and wrist is out of the question.

I’ve been modifying exercises in my program that I can’t do with the wrist, and that’s been going ok. It’s just frustrating, you know? I’ve finally, for the first time in my life, got all this desire to get in shape and do all this fitness stuff. And my wrist is holding me back.

Not looking for any specific advice I get. Just...it gets frustrating. It can be very demoralizing

That does sound frustrating and if you're just venting feel free to ignore the following, but... If you're looking at exercise to help you lose weight things as simple as walking and running can help a good bit. Then there's squats, lunges, ab and back ecercises... really only your shoulders/arms/chest are going to have to wait a bit to get going properly. Could you use weighted cuffs on your arms instead of barbells?

I'm sorry to hear about your wrist. One of my friends had problems with her wrists and was given special support cuffs to wear around her palm and wrist. I hope that you have something to ease the pain as it sounds horrible.

Dance is a brilliant form of exercise and it is fun and can be sociable too...

Whilst partnered dance would not work too well for you right now (although I can say that there are tons of lead-follow moves that you can do with one arm) it is probably best to think about solo dancing... Any suggested arm movements with that can always be modified by the individual.

We made tons of friends through going to zumba. That certainly has loads of cardio and no need for specific arm movements... If you can find a form of exercise which you enjoy and is sociable - it can mean that it is something that you look forward to - even if the desire to lose weight has waned a bit.

I am certainly looking forward to seeing some friends at zumba tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back