Weight-ing it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

LessOfJess

Hello!

I'm a not-quite new mum of a beautiful 19 week old. And I've just realised that I'm actually overweight!

I'm 5"10 and I was 145lbs pre-pregnancy. It was a good size for me - I had very little body fat and quite a lot of muscle definition. I also fit comfortably into a UK size 8.

During my pregnancy I put on quite a lot of weight eventually reaching it's peak at 175lbs. I lost very little immediately after the birth - only 2lbs, and my baby was quite big!

Over time I gradually lost some just as a matter of course. I got down to 156lbs by doing pretty much nothing.

However, like most people in a happy relationship with a newborn I got far too comfortable and lazy. We ordered takeouts, bought junk food and sat and snacked whilst we watched movies together. It didn't help my willpower that my partner was underweight and actively trying to gain.

I'm now 165lbs, a UK size 16 and officially in the overweight category for my height. I'm relatively active - I walk a lot and stand up rather than sitting down all day. But my eating habits are atrocious. I will eat healthily and drink plenty of water then eat junk on top of it. I constantly feel hungry - actual hunger, not just an urge to eat. I've been coasting by on the fact that my waist is much smaller than my hips but my arms have gotten bigger and bigger and I now have the beginnings of a double chin. The breastfeeding is tapering off now so I'm not quite as worried about low milk supply, as my baby has developed a preference for formula and solids.

It hit me yesterday that I need to make a change. We were going for a walk around the park - it's very hot where I live right now. I couldn't find any clothes that were cool enough and fit me. The outfit I did settle on made me look like a fat old grandma. I could practically see the sympathy and disdain in peoples eyes as we walked past them. I'm a photographer, so I took some nice shots of my partner and baby for father's day, and he took some photos of me. I look happy in them but incredibly big and bulky.

To kick start my weightloss I'll be using the Slimfast shakes. Whilst I know that they're not healthy I've been failing to stick to a healthy eating regimen and I know that the Slimfast system has worked for me in the past when I was doing cuts (I used to be a gym rat, weight training and all). Once I've lost a reasonable amount I'l then be swapping over to paleo.

Here's to losing the weight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back