Weight drop but body fat increases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhi67540

So I am using the same weight loss regime I successfully used 5 years ago to try to lose 15kg. Its only been 2 weeks but I have lose almost 3kg but my body fat has gone from 24.9 to 25.3 (the wrong way). I have not significantly changed what I eat, just how much I eat. In my successful weight loss 5 years ago my body fat decreased progressively with my weight but I am 5 years older now (and approaching 60). My weight loss program is walking and jogging with the aim to get back to comfortably jogging 5k in under 30 minutes 3-4 days a week.

You need to be including strength training to maintain muscle mass. This is even more important as you age.

Excessive cardio on a high calorie deficit will accelerate the muscle loss.

Also bear in mind the method you are using to track your bodyfat %. The most common method (Bio-electric Impedance) in not very accurate and should be used to track trends over time, If this is the method you are using the change you are seeing is probably not significant.

Bodyweight increases because of fat and muscle if a person is overweight means he has a lot of fat if weight decreases mean the fat percentage will also decrease this is a universal truth.

if weight decreases mean the fat percentage will also decrease this is a universal truth.

No, this is wrong, A loss of weight that includes loss of muscle can and often does keep the bodyfat % at much the same levels.

There are a lot of people out there who, due to various crash diets and Yo-Yo dieting have lost lean mass and have an increased bodyfat % Often they will be of "Normal" weight but be carrying a high fat %

Just because somebody may register as "Overweight" on the scales does not mean they are fat, Athletes and bodybuilders are prime examples of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back