Vegetable Gardening Club

Your plans sound exciting!
And @LaMaria, your parents place sounds like a piece of paradise!!
It is. It really is. Also: I forgot to mention beetroot, arugula, spinach, lettuce, mini mandarin oranges, and lemons.

Are the worms you got red wrigglers or just regular earth worms?

The box of worms contained a mix of composting worms (Red Wiggler, Indian Blue, Tiger and Night-crawler).

I put up a post on a gardening group and have been able to source some comfrey and I am on a waiting list to get nutmeg, cinnamon trees and the pepper vine.

You have all inspired me to get out into the garden again, even though it has been freezing. I have decided to try starting off seedlings inside the house. I planted some cos lettuce seedlings into a rectangular pot for inside & some perpetual spinach into a raised bed outside & also bought a Kaffir lime tree, which I am going to try to keep inside at least half the time. I'll keep it pruned so it doesn't grow too big. Plants love our house so it's worth a try.

I like the looks of the kids better than the worms!

I used to live near Sopchoppy, Florida self-proclaimed earthworm capital, of the universe apparently. Most are gathered in the woods, through a process called worm grunting

This afternoon I was double checking the germination condition for my comfrey seeds, (4-6 weeks in the fridge in wet sand before I can plant them) but I found this little comment on a permaculture site under the topic of companion planting for comfrey

A prime example of maximizing comfrey as a companion in the garden can be found when utilizing it to enhance your organic cannabis crops.
It is illegal to grow in Queensland but some members here live in locations where it is legal lol

sort of ironic... just the opposite here.
just posting this FYI... i have no idea what this is or what it's good for.

The US Food and Drug Administration on Friday asked makers of dietary supplements containing the herb comfrey to withdraw their products due to the danger of liver damage and its possible role as a cancer-causing agent.

as to the germination.... interesting. i have heard of a few seed types that need to experience freezing temps before they will germinate (blueberries for one)... same thing?

these were advertised as simply "orange peppers". the closest match i found seems to be called "lunchbox orange peppers".

orange peppers.jpg

my biggest pepper from seeds plant.... flowering now so won't be long before i can confirm what i planted....

IMG_1454.jpg

i counted them up this morning... of the 39 potted plants on my patio(s), 28 came from seeds. if i were around before science had the answers, i have no doubt i would have thought some divine hand was responsible. even so, seeds still seem within the realm of a miracle.

just posting this FYI... i have no idea what this is or what it's good for.

It was once a traditional herbal remedy, but it is usually grown for green cover, the leaves are great for the soil and help compost break down quicker. Gardeners also make comfrey tea, which is a fertilizer not for drinking. It is also a great fodder plant for animals including chickens. Most permaculture site advise against eating it.

as to the germination.... interesting. i have heard of a few seed types that need to experience freezing temps before they will germinate (blueberries for one)... same thing?

A lot of Australian natives require smoke and heat for the seeds to germinate.

I had some of the seeds I ordered arrive in the post today, I have pigeon pea and coriander seeds soaking in water overnight and tomorrow I will be able to plant pigeon pea and buckwheat in the chook yard and the coriander into a large pot on the verandah. on the weekend I will be able to get some more fuel for the rotary hoe to start digging the beds around the outside of the chook yard for planting passion fruit to grow on the fence. I also still need to clear away the old hen house and fix the gate before the chooks can be confined back in their yard.

I am determines to have a productive garden this year.

Hey Amy, I think that qualifies you as a member of this club!

All this gardening talk motivated me to put in a new pot, its a big one, 8 ft long by 3 ft wide and 2 ft deep. Gravel in the bottom for drainage and a kind of super soil mix for planting. I have a small local nursery just a 5 minute tractor drive from the house, they give me a deal on the bulk soil mix and I just drive the tractor over and fill the front end loader. An easy way to do it. Its too late to plant anything this year, but the pot will be ready for garden expansion next.
E25021A2-764C-4351-9915-977B7BB0508E-1 (002).jpgFD834266-5FA3-44A3-ABAC-8682D85900C0-1 (002).jpg

Our silverbeet in ground-level pots was done over by rabbits. (boo!) The pots are now gracefully swinging from tree-branches, and the silverbeet is recovering. (hooray!) :)

No rabbit problems here Amy, we have only jackrabbits and they don't seem to come close to human habitation. Actually we have a few cottontails but they are rare. We do have deer problems occasionally, more in the orchard than the garden though.

LaMa, that pot is a whole lot bigger than any bathtub, more of a small pool. Flyer, thanks for the picture, Tarter Metalworks is just down the road from us, here is one we were able to get from them as a second, a bargain. A good source of cheaper pots. It's just the manufacturing operation, not open to the public, but sometimes if you see one in their waste pile you can get them to sell it to you at scrap value. Leaking cattle watering tanks are not very useful, no problem in the garden. This pictured pot is much smaller than the new one, and was home to the now past green beans.
IMG_1728 (002).jpg

What´s the little black thing with the green pea pod picture on the lower end of the picture?

... a new pot, its a big one, 8 ft long by 3 ft wide and 2 ft deep. ...

thanks for showing the product name... it was hidden too much in the pictures i took. i guess these are sold as livestock water troughs. man, i wish i had the room for a couple...! do they have drain... or did you drill any drainage holes? quite pricey, but probably well built if they need to hold water... a lot heavier than dirt.

What´s the little black thing with the green pea pod picture on the lower end of the picture?
A rock with a painting of a pea pod on it, not sure who did it, its just there.
do they have drain... or did you drill any drainage holes? quite pricey
They have a drain plug, I pull it out. They can be pricey, that's why I try to find leaky ones at the manufacturer. However if you figure the cost on a unit volume basis they really are no more expensive than any other kind of pot, just a lot bigger.

A rock with a painting of a pea pod on it, not sure who did it, its just there.
Just a nice way to mark your plants in spring when they´re small perhaps.

Back