Vegetable dish cooking club

Don't forget to tell us what you instead instead of mushrooms. I'd probably go with red capsicum/pepper.

I looked for wild rice in my supermarket today. I know i've seen it around somewhere recently but it wasn't in this supermarket, i guess. Is wild rice like dark grains? I am not even sure if i've eaten it. I've had black rice and that is super delicious. They eat it in indonesia.

What does your motto mean? My latin is non-existent.

I bought some taties today so I hope i feel like cooking up my recipe tonight. I've been eating ratatouille for days now and should eat something else. Although i think i could eat it for weeks without getting too tired of it. But I am like that. When i like something a lot, i can eat it every day.

Oh no, i've just realised I didn't buy enough potatos. I bought only half a kilogram - one pound abouts. Sillly me.

Well maybe its a good thing. I have a lot of food to eat up from my fridge before next Friday. I don't to leave too many leftovers in there.

Greek Potato and Beans - Version #2

Here's what i did. Its a bit different but essentially the same recipe. The ratio of beans to potatoes is greater which is probably not a bad thing given we're into weightloss.

My verdict is that this would be good served with meat of some sort. (meat in the broadest sense). I liked it but it wants to go with something else. I had a two course meal and had chicken soup after. This is not ideal but it was still good.

1/2 kilo/1 pound potatoes, peeled and diced
3/4 kilo/ bit over 1 pound green beans, topped and tailed and cut into 1 inch pieces approx.
3 cloves garlic
1/2 onion
3 tsp olive oil
1 400g can of diced tomatoes. I couldn’t really imagine cooking this with tomato paste and 6 ounces of tomato paste seems like a huge amount. We might have terminology issues on this one.
3/4 cup chopped parsley
pinch salt

Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until almost transparent. Mix all ingredients together. Place in a baking dish and cook on a moderate heat in the oven for 45 or until the vegetables are done, stirring every 10-15 minutes.

At one point, i walked away from the kitchen and got a strong whiff of nutment. (One of the orchids must be in flower) and then i realised that nutmeg would be a lovely spice for this dish, but not with the garlic, I think.

At one point, i walked away from the kitchen and got a strong whiff of nutmeg. (One of the orchids must be in flower) and then i realised that nutmeg would be a lovely spice for this dish, but reduce the garlic, a bit perhaps. If you were to try this with nutmeg, use a whole nut and grate it. I'd suggest between 1/4-1/2 a nut. Its tricky to get the right amount with experimenting. Too little and you won't taste it. Too much and it would be overpowering.

This is the original for easy comparison.
According to my Greek friend Karen this is the way her mother would present this dish, but she says that she would consider adding some garlic and oregano to jazz it up a bit.

Ingredients

3 lbs. Baking Potatoes
1-1/2 lbs. Green Beans, French cut
1 Onion, medium size, diced
1 cup Parsley, fresh, finely chopped
1-6 oz. can of Tomato Paste

Preparation

Wash and peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2" to 3/4" cubes and place in a covered baking dish. If the Green Beans are fresh, wash and cut of the stem ends and split lengthwise, and add to the baking dish. If the Green Beans are frozen, just add to the baking dish. Add the Onions and Parsley. Add the Tomato Paste and rinse the can out with a little water (1/4 can) and add to the baking dish. Cook in a microwave on high or in a regular oven at 350 degrees F. Mix the ingredients every 10 to 15 minutes. When the onions become semi translucent and the potatoes are soft remove from the oven. Total cooking time should be about 45 minutes.

Last edited:
To stray passers by... I am going away tomorrow 20 May for two months. I hope this club is still going when i return because i want to try all your new recipes. And i hope there are more people active becuase i don't want sunflower to get lonely. I want her to have some to play with. :)

I'm an unrepentant meat eater but I thought I'd share this with the "club": It's very nice (although I substitute the coriander for more cumin as I'm not a coriander fan). The sauce doesn't go very far so I'd suggest doubling it (or substituting with a tomato chutney works), and if brown lentils aren't available canned you can make this cooking the lentils first (in the UK brown lentils are uncommon- I had to get mine dried from a specialty Asian supermarket)

No..What is that, Emerald?

Thanks for bumping Amy, I've been so busy and 44 is away so this thread isn't getting much love right now! Am doing ASDA shop tomorrow so will make sure I get stuff to try the recipe you kindly posted (both here and on your thread!!)

So, I thought I'd throw in that while mixing calabacita sqaush, onions and leeks seemed like a good idea to throw into a veggie casserole (with some reduced fat cheese) it turns out that the leeks didn't really work. I've had the onions and squash before, so I know they work together, but I sliced the leeks with a mandolin and they came out kind of like the texture of sauer kraut and... it just didn't work.

So... calabacita squash and just onions, not the leeks. My piece of advice! LOL

Also - kale & white bean salad with balsamic vinegar.
Tear up a couple heads of kale - should be about 6 cups.
Slice 1 onion into half moons. Saute until soft (I like mine well done). Toss in some balsalmic vinegar to coat, and set aside.
Saute kale in batches - it reduces a LOT.
Rinse a can of white beans (or cook from scratch after soaking over night)
Toss the onions, kale, white beans with currants and some oil and vinegar.

Let cool and eat.

i made some very good veggie burritos just yesterday.

i sauteed an onion, a green bell pepper, some corn off the cob, and as many jalapenos as you like in a bit of olive oil (not extra vigrin, its too delicate and will burn, cold pressed is fine). a couple pinches of salt help them to release there water and cook faster. then i add two cans of black beans (be sure to rinse them off to avoid some of the extra sodium.) i often just make a big batch of dried black beans, but i was running short on time. i then add my taco seasoning which is a healthly dose of black pepper, tbls of the following; chilE powder (not chili powder), dried oregano, paprika, galric powder, and cumin. then i add one 15 ounce can of crushed tomatoes. Often i will use two cans of rotel tomatoes instead, but it depends on how much spice you like. after simmering for about 15 minutes to reduce the tomatoes juices, i put about 1/2-3/4 cup of the mixture into a burrito sized tortilla and wrap it up. delicious. i often add a bit of fresh cilantro to the burrito before rolling it up.
best part is you get a complete protein my combining the beans and the corn. i made it once with the addition of some poached and shredding chicken that i had left over, and i actually prefer it as a vegetarian dish.

I just made this for lunches: (this is a crosspost from my diary).

As I made it:
Eggplant, raw 241 g 57.8
Squash, winter, butternut, raw 697 g 313.6
Potatoes, raw, skin 161 g 93.4
Oil, olive, Extra Virgin 30 g 265.2
Pataks medium tikka masala paste 198 g 186.1
Onions, raw 292 g 116.8
Peppers, sweet, yellow, raw 266 g 71.8
Squash, summer, zucchini, includes skin, raw 296 g 50.3
Tesco finest tradizionale passata 680 g 204.0
Water, tap, drinking 500 g 0.0
Amoy reduced fat coconut milk 400 g 464.0

To serve 8. 227.9 calories/ serve, 5.1g protein, 28.9g carbs, 11.6g sugar, 11.6g fat, 280.5ml water.

Use a big pot. Nearly filled my biggest pot (a 5 litre stock pot).

It's really good.

Made this with my mum, with Thai red curry paste (I suspect Indian curry paste was the intention, but this worked too):

It's almost like a soup, great comfort food and relatively cheap and quite easy to make. Will definitely be doing it again.

French Girl Green Bean Salad

Thank you Amy for bumping this thread. And thanks to all for participating. I'll be trying to get back to being active here too but this week, i'm taking things easy at home - so much to do and a bit sick with it. But keen to be back in full swing on my diet control and cooking healthy yummy foods with lots of vegetables.

Um oh yes, i've got a lovely recipe that i saw a french girl do while i was away. Well i imagine its going to be lovely since its french. and i might have to tweak it a bit after trying it, but i have already bought the ingredients to make it so...I'm having it today, if i can get around to it.

Cooked green bean with tomato salad - which needs a new more gourmet sounding name. "French girl green been salad? " lol.

The quantities are a bit vague but i wanted to note how much mustard was used and build it around that which i've done from memory of watching her.

Ripe tomatos - maybe two
Green beans - maybe half a pound
balsamic vinegar - probably about 2 tbsp (red wine vinegar will be fine if that's all you've got)
2 tblspoons dijon style mustard - i was surprised how much she used. She used a seeded type but that's because its what she had available.
she said she'd put olive oil in it if she had some so i'd guess about 2tbsp too even though she had none this day.
garlic - i can't remember if she put this in. I'm going to try it with and without. I'd suggest starting with one large clove finely diced.

Tip and tail the beans, cut into 1.5-2 inch segments (on a nice slant if you want to be precious about it - it looked good). I think she cooked them in the microwave, otherwise steam with a pinch of salt them but they should still be bright green when done so don't over cook them. Dice the tomatoes fairly small. Mix the balsamic vinegar into the tomatoes (and garlic if using). Add the mustard after the beans. I don't really know if that's necessary but that's what she did. Then she left it in the fridge overnight. Again i don't know if that's necessary. She did it because she made this for her workers lunch the next day. I think leaving it in the fridge would give it a yummy marinated depth.

I met this girl when i was on my holiday just recently. I was staying in a caravan park in outback western australia. There was a big group of young french backpackers all working on the vegetable farms of the Ord River to make money for further travels. They have working holiday visas. There were also some japanese. It was lovely meeting these people. I had some nice foodie chats with the french and a deep voiced italian as well as an estonian. Most of them all prepared very healthy hearty and yummy looking food. I love watching people cook, especially when they are foreigners. They tend to eat better than Aussies.

Back