TV shows - Secret Eaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

aiminglow

Has anyone else looked at these videos on Youtube?
Essentially, it’s a (UK government-sponsored?) health campaign, to get people to eat better, presented as a fun (sort of) reality TV show. The basic premise of the show is that people eat much more than they realise - that is, that their eating is a "secret" even from themselves - through little snacks here and there, or large servings of their usual meals, or through adding extras, like another dob of butter or splash of oil to something which already has enough.
The method is to use volunteers – never singly, usually two at a time – and get their permission to track every single thing they eat for five days, using hidden cameras etc. There’s also a “science” section, where some not-contentious claim is demonstrated in a not-rigorous test, and a “glutton nation” section, where it’s shown, time and again, that given free food, people will take it.
Then there’s a big reveal, where the volunteers almost invariably are greatly surprised by how much they’ve eaten, and swear to change their ways, and then a follow-up after some weeks, where they’re shown as having lost weight by sticking to their new eating pattern.

Best points:
- It does remind me that eating a little bit here, a little bit there adds up.
- The “science” segments do give useful behavioural tips, like don’t eat while distracted by anything.
- Some of the subject volunteers are just lovely, and it’s great to see how they interact and especially to see them succeeding.
- It doesn't only show very overweight people; it also shows people just a bit overweight, but potentially getting bigger.

Worst points:
- I hate the way the “glutton nation” bit seems to shame people for taking free food, which is absolutely standard, especially if the subjects are cash-strapped. (Sometimes they use uni students as subjects – I ask you!) Also, at the same time it is luring them into doing exactly what the show says they shouldn’t, just to get a bit of footage.
- At times it can be flesh-crawlingly close to the bone in how it reveals horrible family dynamics. This is rare, but the one episode I saw where it happened was very depressing. Mostly the people are mutually supportive, though.
- Their resident nutritionist comes across to me as insufferably smug, and quite unhelpful in her comparisons of how much of one thing equals (in calories) how much of something else.

Minor note: It’s very UK-focussed, so sometimes there’s a culture/language gap. What they call a “kebab” is not what I call a “kebab”!

I don't have enough bandwidth to be wasting on watching a lot of YouTube videos lol but if I am ever awake in the middle of the night I can use some off peak data to have a look.

Australian internet is really bad, especially (of course!) in rural areas. But - ahem! - if I say any more about that I might be straying into politics, which this place is a blessed relief from! :)

Australian internet is really bad, especially (of course!) in rural areas. But - ahem! - if I say any more about that I might be straying into politics, which this place is a blessed relief from! :)
I am classified as remote and only have access to satellite (SkyMuster) which is super expensive and very limited, cuts out on cloudy day etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back