Tuna!

Tuna is good for you, right?? Ok wellllllllll I've never had tuna before so I have no good recipes for it... any suggestions? Low-Fat recipes please! :)

Tuna is a good source of protein. Its not good to eat a whole lot of it because there are some traces of mercury in it.

I normally mix tuna with some relish, hard boiled eggs and fat free mayo and have sandwiches

Sushi grade Raw Tuna slices, with some green onion, dip in a little soy sauce and maybe some wasabi. Can't beat it just like that.

I just dump the canned tuna (white albacore) into my brown rice, and add some frozen veggies. Nuke it, and eat. (I prepare this in advance in Gladware, makes it easy to nuke and eat at work)

shimmering said:
i sprinkle it on salads, put it in with spaghetti noodles and basil and other spices and sometimes do sandwhichs. great stuff.

I never thought about that, Im gonna try tuna with spaghetti noodles and fat free italian dressing :).

I'll let you know how it turns out.

aevans410 said:
Its not good to eat a whole lot of it because there are some traces of mercury in it.
This is not 100% true, yellow fin tuna and fresh young tuna doesnt contain any that i know of. Well maybe the baby ones carry a little but not nealry as much compared to normal adult tuna.

With fish its basically up to you. Farm raised salmon, trout etc, has a lot more chance of PCB's and mercury do to the conditions on these so called farms. Wild fish is the way to go, especially Alaskan, but most of the time its more expensive, and even some arent wild, though they claim it on the can. Try to get wild from the fish section, but its ok to once in awhile get the farm, as their are more choices.

Eat it straight out of the can... No bowls to clean... Easy clean up! I've been thinking of doing something with it though. Tuna seems very dry, as compared to other fish.

When I have Tuna though I make canned salmon this way too. I add lowfat mayo, a few slivers of diced red bell pepper, some dijon mustard, a little bit of horseraddish, 2-3 stalks of cellery. I eat it either on whole grain bread as a sandwhich or I have it by itself maybe with a few kashi crackers.

I will have to try it with brownrice and veggies though that sounds like a really good post-bicycle ride meal!

aevans410 said:
I normally mix tuna with some relish, hard boiled eggs and fat free mayo and have sandwiches

I did this yesterday using two large eggs, one can of tuna, and four tbsp of mayonaisse. It was pretty damn good. I was gonna post it, but I see you already did.

I don't put mayo in my tuna. I just eat it on whole wheat toast.

Back