Trying to wrap my head around some things...

Officer_Jon

Let me start by giving you some details about myself. I'm 24, about 5' 10", have a 35" waist and weight in at just under 200. I have been struggling with losing fat for about 6 months. I am kind of confused on how much I should be eating and working out. I want to start a pretty serious weight training schedule soon, so I am going to have to bump the calories up for that. I am really not in bad shape. I run 3 miles in about 25 minutes, and can bench 190 or so. I do have a gut, and that is what I desperately want to lose. I feel like 180-185 would be a better weight for me.

Like I said before, I am confused about how many calories I should be eating. Up until recently I thought the lower the better, so it was probably around 1400-1600 a day with a three mile run ever other day or so. I have bumped that up to around 2000 in the last couple of weeks, and have worked out only lightly the last couple of weeks.

So my questions:
How much should I be eating?
What is the best way to monitor caloric intake (I really struggle with this)?
Whats the best way to monitor your caloric output?
I would also like to know how to figure body fat. I have used the calculators online, but they put me at somewhere like 28%. I have a fairly muscular build, so would that make a difference?
I plan on running/aerobics in the mornings and lifting in the evening. How much will that affect my caloric needs?

Thanks for any help you can give. I just want eat healthier and feel better, and need to understand the basics.

- Jon

So my questions:
How much should I be eating?
A solid balance of lean protein, good fats and good carbs. Check out this article by John Berardi. John Berardi - Lean Eatin' Part I
John Berardi - Lean Eatin' Part II

What is the best way to monitor caloric intake (I really struggle with this)?
Count what you take it basically. Get a weight scale for meats, read nutritional info. Use a site like calorie-count.com. Make it matter to know what is in what you are eating.
Whats the best way to monitor your caloric output?
First start with What amount you should be taking in. This is a good start.
Harris Benedict Equation

I would also like to know how to figure body fat. I have used the calculators online, but they put me at somewhere like 28%. I have a fairly muscular build, so would that make a difference?
Get some calipers, they are cheap and way more accurate than measure for body fat. Athletes.com - AccuFitness Accu-Measure Calipers! Best Price!

I plan on running/aerobics in the mornings and lifting in the evening. How much will that affect my caloric needs?
You need to map out a solid plan. Doing this and that isn't the best for fat loss or the body. Get started with that here. Infact just read most of these links and that will pretty much tell you everything you need to know.

Information to Start with/ Beginner Info - World Fitness.com

Good Luck.

I'm no expert, so I hesitate to reply here -- but one thing that really helps me on the calorie side is to eat the same thing for breakfast every day. For me, it's a cup of oatmeal mixed with a cup of fruit and 2 tblsp. of roasted pecans on top. And most days, I eat the same thing for lunch, too. That leaves the variation for dinner only, making it a lot easier to keep track of calories.

Nothing wrong with eating the same thing everyday, but there is no good source of protein in that breakfast. You need protein first thing in the morning (and with every meal for that matter).

Back