Triathlon + Muscle Gain + Weight Loss = HIIT????

Hi,

I'm looking for some help and a bit of advice with a training dilemma I've got.
Here's how it breaks down, in a few months I'm doing a 5k run as part of a triathlon team, no biggy some might think but I really dont know how well I'll fair, I've not done any major running in a while and I'm anemic which is causing havoc with oxygen being carried around the body.
Anyway, my goal is to get fit enough to run the 5k which hopefuly wont be too much of an issue however in the mean time I'd like to grow a bit of muscle too. (mainly upper body, arms chest etc), I know thats not the best tactic for running however the run is more of a bit of fun rather than a competetion and so being able to complete it will be good enough for me. I'm also hoping to get rid of the spare tyre around my waist but I'm hoping that will come as a natural thing with whatever training I do, its not massive and I wouldn't class myself as overweight or fat or anything.
What I'm wondering, is will HIIT mixed with a bit of muscle building cause issues? Is one going to hurt the other and am I going to get negative results? On the other hand will HIIT help cardio help with my running at all? I'm not a fan of spending money on gyms and have no intention of going to one however have no issues with lifting weights at home and pounding the pavement for results.

Can anyone give me any advice??

Thank
M

Hi murphr247,

Sounds like you are serious about being in the best shape possible for the triathlon. I would recommend finding a mentor for what your trying to achieve. If you find one that has already been through what your trying to achieve, then they will understand what it takes to help you succeed.

Look for a local trainer - instead of spending the money on a gym, pay someone who focuses on helping triathletes. Their expertise is what your paying for, not the equipment.

Hope this helps!

One of the most useful tools that I've learned has helped people build up to a 5K (or more) is to search for a 'couch to 5K' program. If you're not a strong runner, this type of program can help greatly with your training, and can also help you avoid injury because you progress gradually, rather than heading out and doing too much too soon.

HIIT is a great way to train, it helps to increase your aerobic 'capacity' quicker than constant-pace cardio and it's a great fat-burning exercise. Just start slow! It can be a great way to cross-train... If you go running most of the time, you could do HIIT on a bike or elliptical to give the knees and back a break :)

Personally, I don't think HIIT is the way to go for a rookie for two reasons:

1. Physical: It is physically hard to push yourself hard enough to achieve results with HIIT if you do not have the training base.

2. Psychological: It is psychologically hard to push yourself hard enough to achieve results with HIIT if you do not have the training base.

Develop your training base through a cough to 5k program. As you get fitter you can try HIIT. But, be prepared.

Personally, I don't think HIIT is the way to go for a rookie for two reasons:

1. Physical: It is physically hard to push yourself hard enough to achieve results with HIIT if you do not have the training base.

2. Psychological: It is psychologically hard to push yourself hard enough to achieve results with HIIT if you do not have the training base.

Develop your training base through a cough to 5k program. As you get fitter you can try HIIT. But, be prepared.

For the most part, I agree that HIIT should be done after you have a solid fitness base. However, I still think that doing a modified version of a HIIT program is beneficial and useful for novice exercisers, depending on the individual. In my opinion, a couch to 5K (run/walk) is essentially a modified HIIT program. For many people, running itself is high-intensity, and the walking interval is used as the 'active recovery' interval. It's just not quite layed out the same as a HIIT program for a more experienced athlete. I've used interval training quite a lot with all different levels of clients - but I typically use an elliptical or upright bike rather than getting a beginner to sprint up a 10% incline :)

Again, that's just my opinion

Back