Treadmill: Smooth or Vision Fitness or ?

Hi,

I'm considering a treadmill for home. I prefer folding for space reasons. I'd like to do this for $2000 or less but would consider up to $3000 if I have to. I've seen the Vision Fitness at the store and seemed to be pretty good. There are lots of good reviews about Smooth.

Does anyone have experience with either brand or can you recommend an alternative?

Thanks,

Mark

The Smooth is one of the few folding treadmills I'm actually comfortable recommending to runners, (I service and repair exercise equipment) with the following caveat; it's about 6 inches shorter than other treadmills, so if you're tall or have a long stride, you may not be comfortable running on it.

I'd recommend running on any machine you're considering buying for about 15-20 minutes to make sure you like it.

That said, it's built really well to stand up to the pounding running will give it.

The Vision is an ok machine, but not built as strongly, and specs out with you getting less for your buck than other units (smaller motors, etc).

I'd definitely go with the Smooth unless those 6 inches make it uncomfortable for you. Nice job on your research.

Eric,

Thanks for the info. I'm 5'6" and my wife is 4'11" so I don't think that the length is going to be a problem. I have been leaning towards the Smooth but you can't try them out before you buy so I thought that I should ask around.

Cheers,

Mark

The new treadmill arrived yesterday. I paid for turnkey delivery ($150) but the delivery person only knew how to assemble the unit. The belt would not run but everything else worked okay. The delivery man did not have the skills to troubleshoot the problem and left. I called Smooth Fitness and they told me how to get the motor cover off. It turned out that a wire had come loose - I put it back on and voila. The Smooth customer service man was very helpful and nice. However, I was rather disappointed that I had to get the thing working myself. They offered to send a technician out but it would take several working days.

I used it for the first time today. It is a very nice machine. I'm not an experienced user (never did the gym thing) so I can't compare it to commercial machines. It is very stable and quiet. I think that we are going to like having this machine. So far, I think that I would recommend this one.
We live in Texas and the summers can be brutal - now we don't have any excuses like it is too hot to go exercise.

My wife and I are both terribly out of shape so we couldn't do much the first day. 30 years ago, I was a 5 mile a day runner but now I sit on my butt in an office all day. It will take some time...

Cheers,

Mark

Congratulations - that quietness is key to your enjoyment and the continuing proper functioning of the treadmill, and why I really like recommending the Smooth to people who really want a fold-up treadmill, since they're built so strongly to overcome the usual creakiness that develops after a year or two of steady use of lesser fold-up treadmills.

To people like myself with an engineering mindset, a well-designed machine is a thing of beauty.

I didn't know you were in Texas, I really enjoyed the year I spent there, the women are beautiful, the people are really nice, (startlingly so for someone from helL.A. ;-) ) but I know what you mean about the heat. If not for that and the winter, I would probably have moved there.

Some things that will help your machine last longer are;

1. Stand on the side rails when starting the belt moving. standing on the walk belt before it starts moving causes the machine to pull more current to overcome your (lack of) inertia and will gradually (over a long series of uses) burn the commutator in the electric drive motor. If you're unlucky and it happens to the same spot many times, you can ruin the commutator to the point that it will need to be heavily resurfaced or even replaced.

2. Use a surge protector, but even more importantly, cut the connection by unplugging the unit completely or via a switch that controls that wall plug.

Since you're in Texas and have real weather compared to the breezes we get here in CA, you may already know this, but a lot of people don't understand that a power surge can travel past a surge protector even before the breaker or fuse cuts the circuit and can damage the circuit boards inside your treadmill, even if the treadmill is turned off and powered down.

And as your treadmill gets older and the supply of circuit boards gets smaller, they also get more expensive.

The cheapest circuit boards will run you at least $100, on up to a really old machine (a Trotter, 20 years old) I worked on once that the manufacturer quoted me $1000 to replace. The reason it cost so much is because they would have had ONE made to order, (zero in stock) instead of benefiting from an economy of scale when the machine was first manufactured and they had the circuit board design company make a thousand of them or whatever. (No treadmill manufacturers make their own circuit boards, all contract with companies to have them made.)

It was a shame, because it was a great old machine, drive motor bigger than anything I had seen before that, overbuilt to the point of ridiculousness. The thing was a tank. But even if I had made a circuit board for it myself, (and I wasn't allowed to do that by the company I worked for a the time) all the replacement parts were discontinued, so I had to advise the owner that he was really better off just buying a new one despite my enthusiasm for it, and disagreement with our society's throw-it-away-and-get-a-new-one predisposition.

3. Keep it Clean. When you're not using it, covering it with a dust cover is an excellent idea, especially if it's stored in a dusty area. The walk belt is impregnated with lubrication, and dust will adhere to it, causing more drag than it should have, which will cause it to pull more current from the wall to compensate for the extra drag, which will cause the wires carrying the current to heat up, which will slowly damage the circuit board, and in extreme cases will also damage the drive motor, heating and de-magnetizing the magnets in the motor. When vacuuming in the same room as the treadmill, ALWAYS cover the treadmill to keep dust from getting inside the treadmill.

4. Never use any type of cleaning fluid on the walk belt. If the walk belt becomes discolored or gets dirty, use only a wet rag to clean it, as cleaning fluids, soap, etc, will dry out the belt and interfere with the lubrication built into the walk belt.

Wow, I do get going, don't I? Well, I'm also going to post these tips to my website, ExeRepair.com

Enjoy! Eric

Hi,

I'm considering a treadmill for home. I prefer folding for space reasons. I'd like to do this for $2000 or less but would consider up to $3000 if I have to. I've seen the Vision Fitness at the store and seemed to be pretty good. There are lots of good reviews about Smooth.

Does anyone have experience with either brand or can you recommend an alternative?

Thanks,

Mark

Try Landice. I worked there a few years back. They build their treadmill by hand and its one of the best out there. Only thing. Its about 3000. Check the reviews.

Genus
Treadmill Repair

We've now had the treadmill for about 2 months. It is finally working properly. The problem was that the machine seemed to have a mind of its own. It would randomly change speed, incline, or stop during a workout.

To their credit, Smooth stood behind the product and sent parts and a technician out twice. The second time fixed it. The membrane keyboard in the console was the problem. It was clear to me that the factory had tried a different supplier or something because the replacement parts looked very different from the original parts.

Now some advice based on my experience. I went for a higher end model because of the bells and whistles and I wanted to have heart rate control. If I had it to do again, I would have dropped down a model and used the money I saved to purchase an LCD TV to watch while I work out. The heart monitors don't really work very well. While troubleshooting our problem, I had removed our monitors out to the garage to see if they were messing up the control. I still got believeable readings even though I wasn't even touching the handgrip sensors! I have not tried to use the monitor since the machine was repaired. Instead, I just use the basic start and adjust incline and speed to suit.

M

Sorry to hear you had that problem with the treadmill- those things happen, unfortunately, but the good part of it is that Spirit stood behind their warranty and corrected the problem in a timely fashion.

I have found them to be a good bunch of guys when dealing with them, and that's not always the case with some other manufacturers who shall remain nameless...

The heart rate sensors are susceptible to outside interference, in fact, I haven't had to buy a heart rate transmission simulator as my Sony Ericsson T616 (cellphone) worked just as well as one. Apparently, the transmission band was close enough to a heart rate simulator (simulates Polar chest strap and wrist strap heart rate transmitters) that I didn't need to spend the money for one, and then lose it (leave it at a customers house, etc.) and buy another, etc., etc.

And there are a LOT of things that can interfere, fans, tv's, computers, wifi, lights, garage door motors, pretty much anything you can think of. In the case of wifi, it might even be your neighbors, since those have a range of what, 1000 yards now.

And residential treadmills (as opposed to commercial, which you would find in a gym, or medical, which you would find in a doctor's office) are not medically certified, so a variance of as much as +/-10% of your actual heart rate is possible. So if that's all the variance you're seeing, then it may be working within design parameters.

If you're seeing more variance than that, I would try and eliminate (or move farther away) each possible electrical device nearby until the problem no longer occurs.

Again, if it's your neighbors cellphone or wifi, that may be more difficult to solve, but I hope this helps.

Eric

Back