Training For Fat Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
To clarify, you want to lose fat without losing your muscle or bulking up?

It's very possible, how long it takes depends upon your fat stores.

Assuming that you're 6 foot and 30 years old, according to , you can burn 2326Cals (ie the difference between your total energy required to stay the same weight 2737Cals - your maximum fat burning rate of 411cals).

That's some serious fat loss before you'd risk losing muscle.

Also, based upon my understanding, you won't bulk up even if you're pumping iron if you're eating less food than you burn through exercise and your daily living.

Hope this helps

^ The goal I'm presenting in this thread is to lose as much fat as possible within the weight loss achieved. I know other people are worried about bulking up...if I didn't make it clear enough in the OP, the idea of bulking up while you're in a calorie deficit (which is thoroughly required to lose weight) is ludicrous. If people are worried that they'll get too bulky, I dare them to try and get too bulky while losing weight, and find out for themselves just how much it's never gonna happen. So, in short, the aim is to lose fat without losing muscle mass, so you are correct on that front.

That's a useful site. I like it. I'll note, however, that the body's response to a calorie deficit is swayed by activity, which is the main point of the OP. If you're sedentary and don't change that fact when you start losing weight, then you will start losing muscle mass, pretty much irrespective of how great the calorie deficit is, simply because you only had enough muscle mass to get through your daily activities anyway, and now you have less weight resisting your daily activities, so there's less need for muscle mass, and some atrophy will occur. Whereas if you're squatting, pressing and pulling, there's a demand on your body to keep more muscle mass than it takes to get to and from the fridge, so your body will maintain muscle mass.

I'll note that in overfat beginners, they can gain muscle mass whilst eating in a deficit if they train hard, however the deficit is still there, so the net result will still be a decrease in size, not bulking up.

I smell a spambot. I'm feeling a little spampered, now.

Also, yoga has no great merit for weight loss, although it is super-effective at getting 20-something girls with perky bums to wear skin-tight pants on the internet.

Start with nutrition and strength training.

If you want to be 175lb, then you should be consuming 175lb of high quality protein per day. Ideally, this means meat (including anything that moves on the ground, in the sky or through water), eggs and dairy. Protein supplements can also be good, but aren't necessary if you're getting your protein from real foods. You can also get protein from nuts, legumes and grains, but it's a much lower quality of protein, and more complexity is required in your diet to get the best out of it. Every gram of protein contains ~4kcal, so 175g protein is ~700kcal.

[/url]

Not sure if someone fixed the typo or not :)

think he meant 175grams not pounds
where 175 grams equals to 6 ounces or protein

Good catch. Apparently, we can only edit posts for up to 15min after they've been made, so unless admin or a mod fixes it, it'll stay, but you're correct. 175g protein, not 175lb protein.

I do like James Roger's suggestion to integrate cardio and weights - kill two birds with one stone and put a little oomph in the cardio.

So much good discussion here on weight loss. The calorie deficit is what keeps so many people from losing any weight. I have talked to individuals who work out religiously three or four times a week for an hour, but their weight never changes. Diet has to change along with it.

Nice post and i really like the point you mention about proper diet , i will surely look forward to it.
What do you think about fat burning supplements for weight loss, do they really work or not?

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on losing weight. I'm 22 years old, 5'11 and 300lbs, and have 45% body fat. I just recently stopped playing football and wanted to change my body for the better. I'm not sure on how to balance cardio and weight lifting. I wanted to try HIIT or jogging perhaps 3 days a week but i also want to throw in maybe a day or 2 of resistance training. I'm directly focused on burning fat, not so much building muscle (i want to at least maintain muscle). Any recommendations as to how to setup a routine or any general advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Goldfish, you have made a great post here. I totally agree with you healthy eating habits and following proper exercise regime are the only two primary factors required for weight loss.
Thankyou.
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on losing weight. I'm 22 years old, 5'11 and 300lbs, and have 45% body fat. I just recently stopped playing football and wanted to change my body for the better. I'm not sure on how to balance cardio and weight lifting. I wanted to try HIIT or jogging perhaps 3 days a week but i also want to throw in maybe a day or 2 of resistance training. I'm directly focused on burning fat, not so much building muscle (i want to at least maintain muscle). Any recommendations as to how to setup a routine or any general advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

I seem to recall there being some recommendations and general advice in the original post of this thread...

Give that a read, and ask for clarification if there's anything you're not sure about.

With all these aspects. Fluids are also vital to help our bodies perform their functions effectively, and the best fluid of all is water. Drinking water also has many other advantages like,it helps in weight loss,gives us energy,keeps the heart healthy,cleanses the body and help keep our skin healthy.

Fruit juices are a smart addition to any well-balanced diet, providing nutritional supplements like potassium, vitamin C and vitamin b folic acid. Juice is also a convenient way for children and adults to help reach the recommended number of daily servings of fruits and veggies.

Hello everyone, I just read the ideas for weight loss and got some good suggestions regarding nutrition and diet after reading everyone's opinion. Could anyone please help me out regarding the exercise that I need to do to loose my belly fat ? Any workout tips or something that could certainly be of my help ?

Hello everyone, I just read the ideas for weight loss and got some good suggestions regarding nutrition and diet after reading everyone's opinion. Could anyone please help me out regarding the exercise that I need to do to loose my belly fat ? Any workout tips or something that could certainly be of my help ?

So long as it's done safely, any exercise is better than none, but strength training is preferred for the sake of making sure that the weight you lose is fat, not muscle. Squats, hinges, presses and pulls with progressive overload is the general idea.

So long as it's done safely, any exercise is better than none, but strength training is preferred for the sake of making sure that the weight you lose is fat, not muscle. Squats, hinges, presses and pulls with progressive overload is the general idea.

Isn't that much for a girl like me! I am currently going for running and doing some crunches at home. I am planning to get a stationary bike, so that I could lose some belly fat and would be able to know how much calories I burned. Would that work for me to get my body in shape, what do you think ?

The reality is adding the stuff Goldie advised to your routine will help you immensely. Running uses most of the body, cycling depends on the type of bike to what gets used, adding crunches and nothing else to this presents a potential though far from major risk.
The abdominals are one of the major postural muscles and form one part of the group now recognised as 'the core' which is basically everything around the midsection, front, back, sides and internal. Imbalance here will affect posture and overtraining the abs without matching it on the lower back can, if taken too far, cause lower back issues and the delightful rounded shoulder posture which is appealing on no-one.
Balance is key in so much of health and fitness. To burn fat you want a balanced combination of aerobic and resistance training, circuits etc. do both while you may prefer to do them seperately by doing running and cycling for aerobic then resistance work seperate.
Gender is one of the least important things in regards type of exercise to do. There aren't enough muscles controlling the things making our genders apparent to be worth worrying about. If you go flat out heavy you will gain power, 6 to 10 build more muscle mass, over 10 more endurance, ridiculous reps will cross over to stamina.
The time gender comes into play is the effect, being female you could train at max in the 10 to 6 ideal body building range alongside me as a rather pathetically ectomorphic male and still not gain muscle as fast unless you were incredibly genetically gifted to gain or were supplementing your hormonal disadvantage. Forget any of the stupid myths that touching a dumbbell will turn you into Arnie. Consider the main group of women who use weights that people don't think of are bikini models, they know it's the only way to give their whole body the toned look that they need when exposing that much flesh, generally in the endurance range 10 to 15. That is what adding Goldies recommended additions will actually be doing for you.

In reality, the single most important thing you can do (exercise-wise) to promote fat loss is to try and become as strong as you can be, given the nutritional environment you'll be in (weight loss reality: you have to consume fewer calories than you use in order to lose weight). This flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but when we dig a little deeper, you'll understand why this is true.

"In reality, the single most important thing you can do (exercise-wise) to promote fat loss is to try and become as strong as you can be, given the nutritional environment you'll be in (weight loss reality: you have to consume fewer calories than you use in order to lose weight). This flies in the face of conventional wisdom, but when we dig a little deeper, you'll understand why this is true".

I agree with most things that you are saying here and the science backs most of it up. There is however a difference between being strong and being muscular. Muscular hypertrophy is more important than over all strength. Bigger muscles burn more energy 24/7 and most of that extra energy will come from bodyfat stores. One can be strong without necessarily maximizing muscle hypertrophy thereby no maximizing fat loss. As i'm sure you will know most strength athletes are not necessarily the leanest people in the world. That's the law of "specificity" at work. They want to be strength athletes not body builders, or muscle athletes or beach babes for that matter.

Strength athletes main goals are not fat loss but increased lifting poundage's. Certainly there will be some muscle hypertrophy but that is not the main goal. Repetition ranges for strength being 1-5 are not considered to be in the hypertrophy range of exercise reps. The 8-12 rep range is considered to be muscle building and therefore the ideal rep range for muscle hypertrophy and expedited fat loss (in conjunction of course with your correct assertion that there has to be somewhat of a calorie deficit going on at the same time.)

Anyone looking to lose fat should exercise in a periodized manner and utilize the full repertoire of repetition ranges... 1-5 for strength 8-12 for muscle hypertrophy and 15-20 for cardio and recovery.

nuff said.

I do love the way fat loss is a simple sum that rapidly become complicated.
Simple is calories in < calories out = fat loss and within reason this works.
Too far however the body goes into starvation mode, clings to fat stores desperately and will lay down more stores after. At the same time muscle tissue will be broken down and the remains flushed away with water meaning weight loss % fat gain overall.
Body composition is something to consider too. 200 pound couch potato will burn less energy at rest than 200 pounder who is solid muscle. Get them both walking at the same pace they will likely switch. Both are carrying the.same weight but the muscular guy would move more efficiently so use less energy than the Lardy version.
And from there it gets really confusing.
I know when I trained at an old roid pit there was a guy there who was double my weight. Regardless of how he'd gained the mass he needed more food than me by far despite doing substantially less exercise.

The reality is adding the stuff Goldie advised to your routine will help you immensely. Running uses most of the body, cycling depends on the type of bike to what gets used, adding crunches and nothing else to this presents a potential though far from major risk.
The abdominals are one of the major postural muscles and form one part of the group now recognised as 'the core' which is basically everything around the midsection, front, back, sides and internal. Imbalance here will affect posture and overtraining the abs without matching it on the lower back can, if taken too far, cause lower back issues and the delightful rounded shoulder posture which is appealing on no-one.
Balance is key in so much of health and fitness. To burn fat you want a balanced combination of aerobic and resistance training, circuits etc. do both while you may prefer to do them seperately by doing running and cycling for aerobic then resistance work seperate.
Gender is one of the least important things in regards type of exercise to do. There aren't enough muscles controlling the things making our genders apparent to be worth worrying about. If you go flat out heavy you will gain power, 6 to 10 build more muscle mass, over 10 more endurance, ridiculous reps will cross over to stamina.
The time gender comes into play is the effect, being female you could train at max in the 10 to 6 ideal body building range alongside me as a rather pathetically ectomorphic male and still not gain muscle as fast unless you were incredibly genetically gifted to gain or were supplementing your hormonal disadvantage. Forget any of the stupid myths that touching a dumbbell will turn you into Arnie. Consider the main group of women who use weights that people don't think of are bikini models, they know it's the only way to give their whole body the toned look that they need when exposing that much flesh, generally in the endurance range 10 to 15. That is what adding Goldies recommended additions will actually be doing for you.

Thanks for providing detailed information. I might not be able to do hardcore workout initially but your words have filled enthusiasm in me and now i think its time to step on the bike that my hubby got me from
I would be taking care of the tip given by Goldie - about progressive overload and strength training. CrazyOldMan, you've told me some remarkable points that I wasn't aware about.
I would certainly be like to stay in touch, discuss with you about day to day tasks and let you know the results. Hope you don't mind :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back