tips on increasing vertical?

hi.. anyone with tips on increasing my jumping ability?

hopefully not excercise that will strain my knees as i'm oredi having problems with dem..

Jumping exercises. I'm talking about a complete work out with nothing but jumping.

Some weight training could help but I have never seen any huge results from it. Lunges may help but not sure what effect that will have on your knees. I don't recommend squats. They never seemed to give me anything for basketball and they would be hard on your knees for sure. Also work your abs even if you have a six pack. They can always get stronger and they impact your jumping ability atleast I feel like they do.

I don't recommend those jump shoes. They have worked for people but they aren't very good for your knees atleast I didn't like how they felt.

Really just jumping a lot is the best thing. You know like jumping repeatedly touching the glass. I like lunges and jumping exercises personally but there are probably a bunch of ways to go with this.

Jac,

If you're looking at improving your vert, hit the weights and do some plyometrics if your body is ready for it. (and only if your body is ready for it.)

Check out this link to just get a rough idea for a routine or just do a google search for vertical jump or plyometrics. If you dig around a bit, you'll find a ton of information.

Good luck...

Squats are hard on the knees when done to just parallel and above. if you're going ass to grass or using a box, no probs

For verticle jumping, you need to strengthen up the calves and posterior chain with depth jumps, squat jumps, squats, deadlifts, pull throughs, calf work

Olympic lifting will also increase your vert because you are training your body to be explosive.

explosive workouts cleans deep squats to work your glutes anthing that makes you body explode becasue when you jump is an explosion so explosion exercises shoud benifit you the most

squats work great for this, as have been suggested. I use to use ankle wieghts when I played basketball. You use them during all practices and take them off during the games, your legs will get stronger and will be eventually get to where you can play like normal with them on at practice, so when you go to really play you have that much more ability.

Plyometrics are the best things to increase your vertical bar none. Squats and other weight training exercises help, but the only way to get better at aa activity is to continually repeat that activity. Plyometrics has you repeat jumping activities in different ways.

It really does work, but you have to commit yourself to it on a regular basis and be willing to go through the tough routines.

All athletes do plyometric exercises. Just look at them warming up before a game.

evolution said:
Squats are hard on the knees when done to just parallel and above. if you're going ass to grass or using a box, no probs

why would parallel and above be harder on your knees than below parallel?

dont forget lifts that build the hips, like deadlifts. ive heard power cleans are good for improving your leap.

Back