Time savers fior busy folk

weezy1

When I was explaining to Natalie what I eat for breakfast, I think she figured it would take forever to make.....here's the trick:

I basically prepare my cereal fruit once per week -

I use a natural unsweetened juice brand name Ceres (south African). I empy a carton of this juice into a large saucepan, turn up the heat until the juice is steaming but not boiling, then I dump in two cups of dark raisins, 1/2 cup dried cranberries, 1/2 cup dried blue berries, 1/2 cup dried currents, 1/2 cup dried papaya or mango.

I leave this lot soaking until the juice cools down.

Meanwhile I grab a cantaloupe melon, which I cut in half, remove seeds, and using an ice cream scoop, quickly and messily scoop out the flesh into a large bowl. (You can also use a table spoon as a scoop.)

Once the dried fruit mix is cool, I add this to the melon, and put the whole lot into a large container with a tight fitting lid and pop in into the fridge for future breakfasts.

About once every two months I get a supply of lecithin granules, ground flax seed and wheat germ and I mix it up, store in a glass jar and refridgerate. There is supplement 1 for my Cereal mix.

Also about once every two months, I get in a supply of raw almonds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. I pre grind these in a small electric coffee mill, mix together, store in a glass jar and refriderate. Thsi is suplement 2 for my breakfast cereal.

It takes me about 5 minutes to prepare the fruit mix, five minutes to prepare the lecithin etc. mix and about 10 to prepare the ground nuts and seeds.

Now, with all that stuff ready to go - when I do the morning cereal routine, all I have to do is grab two bowls, add one scoop of soy protein, two Tbs. lecethin mix, one Tbs nut mix and 1/2 cup of fruit mix. If the mix is too dry, I slosh on more juice.

This all takes about 2 minutes.

I have been using various different dry cereals for my husband, since he likes to have a bit of cereal sprinkled on the fruit mix, so I give him some brown rice puffs, or barley shreddies, or Kasha cereal.

Since we rise at 4:45 a.m. and he has to be done breakfast and out the door by 6.15 and the between time is used for workouts, stretches and shower and breakfast...I too am in a real time crunch...

I've found that pre-preparing stuff REALLY makes my life easier....

Cheers

Weezy

wow - how do you get up at 4.45AM for exercising. I'm having a hard time crawling out of bed at 6.00AM - therefore miss that whole exercising part...I tried getting up earlier, but I just feel exhausted when I do. I go to bed by 10.00PM, but still. My respect!!
And you are right - preparation is the key. I used to make the lunches in the morning and it was go go go from the time I got up until I had to leave the house. Now I make the lunches at night and mornings are much more relaxed...if I just could convince myself to use some of this time for exercise:(:)mad:

Ah y3es, the curse of the morning people

Well, Lisa, the only reason I get up at 4.45 am is that I am one of those accursed Morning People.

However, and this should make you feel better, by 3:00 p.m. I am starting to feel very sleepy.

My mother theorized that I am a morning person because I was born around dawn, and have always been up very early in the day.

As a teen, this worked against me. When the rest of the gang were just getting going, Weezy was peacefuly snoring on the floor somewhere.:p

Seriously though, I get up early to ensure that I do get in my stretches and workouts because having Osteo and bunch of fractured items (shoulder, wrist, toe, ankle, etc.) I have to make sure I get that stuff in to speed up recovery.

Since I work from home, if things get really rough, I can take 10 minute ZZZ after lunch.

You said you get up at 6 and are in bed by 10, so you are getting your 8 hours. Everyone is different, I seem to be able to do work on less sleep initially, although I tend to fade early.

cheers

Weezy

Weezy, I know you are probably content with this rhythm by now, but one of the things that we studied in school was sleep patterns. I can't remember exactly how it works, but by exposing yourself to certain light (i think ultraviolet) for a certain amount a time at a certain time during the day for a couple weeks, you can reset your clock to a more 'normal' sleep pattern. Of course, this was about 5 years ago, so my information is a little vague ... sorry.

But I don't want to change my sleep habits

Although this may seem quite peverse to everyone .....I am a morning person, have always been and have no desire to change the sleep patterns.

I was merely pointing out that not everyone shares the same pattern.

In my situation, the early rising is fine since we all go to work very early and quite early too...:D

Attachments

• mrsdoyle3c.jpg
    mrsdoyle3c.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 132
I envy you - i wish I was more of a morning person. Actually I was born in hte morning as well, but that didn't help me:)
The only reason I get up so early is that I don't like to rush in the morning and I also don't like working too late, still so far I haven't managed to put my alarm forward by another 10-30 minutes to allow for exercising.

Back