The Scale Mentality

I haven't weighed myself in years. I've been dieting for nearly eight months now and I have no idea how much weight I've lost, all I know is my inch loss. I'm trying not to think in terms of the dreaded 'diet' either, just trying to keep to a path that I feel I can cope with long-term. I have an idea in my head of what kind of physique I'd like to attain eventually, but sometimes I wonder if I'm being realistic.

It can also be a little hard to mentally process how much progress you've made without a few concrete benchmarks. Sometimes I wonder if I knew my weight loss in pounds, would I feel like I'd achieved more? I don't know. Part of the reason why I don't weigh is because I'm 5'11" and I have quite a large frame, so the weight I am is always going to be outside the average, if you know what I mean.

i feel that you can drive yourself crazy looking at a scale...these changes that you want to happen to ur body take time...and if people dont see immediate results...they automatically start to second guess everything

This thread has been very helpful. I enjoyed some of your analogies and it makes so much sense to me. This is the first time I've tried to lose weight that I've actually tracked my measurements along with my weight loss. It's funny because I, too, had the scale mentality and if I lost only a pound or went up then I would be devastated but if I measure myself once a week or every few weeks, I'm thrilled at even a 1/4 loss in measurements in a particular area.

As an example, I had lost about 5 lbs in my first week in January and now my weight loss has slowed to 0.5-1.5 lbs lost per week, it seems (healthy weight loss). However, I'm still losing inches and I figure that I'm gaining some muscle (also evidenced by my increased endurance during exercising). I figure this is healthy weight loss...I'm eating right, I'm exercising, I can feel myself getting stronger and I'm looking better as well my clothes are fitting better. These are all much better indicators of success than my weight. At this point, I think if I was losing more than a pound or two a week then I'd be afraid that I wasn't doing this properly. I'm in this, this time, for the long haul so if it takes me a year to take it all off, then so be it.

I hope that all makes sense, I guess my point is, that I'm over the scale mentality, though I do still weigh myself. I don't place all my expectations on that number.

I'll definitely keep this thread in mind when the mentality creeps back up on me again, as it surely will!

Thanks!! :)

Use Body Metrics That Match Your TRUE Fat-Loss Goals

I find the goals that I hit are specific, and have a measurable way of tracking them. That goes for weight loss. You subconscious mind is a powerful thing, and if you can get the message congruently through to it in clear terms it will be your best ally.

So for me, I had to make my goals specific, with specific dates (and pictures).

But the scale is the WORST body metric you could measure. In fact, I dare say, you use it you are setting yourself up for failure. As we all know, muscle is far more dense then fat. And once you start exercising your muscle mass will increase. The BMI index is just as misleading I feel.

For me much better body metrics were the measuring tape, and fat calipers that I could take measurements at home.

Those gave a much more accurate picture of the results I was after.

If you can't measure it your can't manage it. But be sure to choose a way to measure that matches the true goal you have (fat loss and muscle gain).

But I found that weight-loss is not a linear process. Nothing in nature seams to be. You'll take 2 steps forward, 1 step back, then another 3 forward. So if you measure too often you'll get discouraged during a natural and necessary step backward period. For me a tried not to, as tempting as it was, to measure before my set dates (every 2 weeks).

Last edited:
And once you start exercising your muscle mass will increase.

That's not so much the problem as much as fluid volatility in the body. For anyone who has been execising consistently, muscle gain while dieting isn't much a concern. At least not to the point that it's more effecting of weight over fluid flux.

For me much better body metrics were the measuring tape, and fat calipers that I could take measurements at home.

Those gave a much more accurate picture of the results I was after.

If you can't measure it your can't manage it. But be sure to choose a way to measure that matches the true goal you have (fat loss and muscle gain).

But I found that weight-loss is not a linear process.

Did you read the first post in this thread? That's what I said.

Im finally starting to realise that the way I look and feel is more important than what the scale shows...not gonna lie though, its taken me some time to drop the 'scale mentality' but it feels like a huge weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

Very good post..

Cheers Steve.

I am still very much in the scale mentality, I will freely admit, but I am not so sure it is a bad thing in my case. I have said this before but I feel it bears mentioning again that the scale keeps me honest. It rewards me when I have done well and prods me when I get lazy. I think that later on when I get closer to my goal I will not have to think about the scale quite so much but I still envision using the scale as a way to keep tabs on myself.

For some it works great. For most I encounter, they're emotionally attached to a number that's not measuring what they're interested in. 3-5 lb swings mean the world to someone and it really doesn't make much sense.

If it works for you and you understand what's happening and can emotionally detach yourself from that... great for you.

I can't always emotionally detach myself from it but I really do see the scale and the numbers it gives me as a way to keep track of what I am doing or not doing. Not only that, at my weight two or three or five pounds doesn't really look or feel all that different so the scale reminds me that I am indeed making progress.

I can't always emotionally detach myself from it but I really do see the scale and the numbers it gives me as a way to keep track of what I am doing or not doing.

The point of my post is the scale doesn't always reflect what you are doing and not doing. Sure, at times it does. Others, not so much.

Not only that, at my weight two or three or five pounds doesn't really look or feel all that different so the scale reminds me that I am indeed making progress.

The more weight you have to lose, the more viable a tool the scale becomes.

Thanks Steve for all the information

I have had a scale phobia and it just does not work for me to weigh all the time.

Even doctors cause us to have the scale phobia at times. I remember years ago going to a doctor to get on the pills/diet and I had to weigh in every week there. His nurse would frown big at me if I did not lose weight and then if I gained I had to go talk to doctor right then. I felt like I was going to the principal's office and I really began dreading even weighing in. And If I did not lose at least 10 pounds a month, I would not be given the Rx that I was told I needed to lose in the first place. Did I lose? Yes. Did I gain back - duh... yea...

I am older and a bit wiser this time around. First, my doctor is not at all involved in this. All I need from him is to tell me if my basics are covered and what I need to watch for there. Second, I dont need or want his quick-fix-pill scenario, it is just a Band-Aid and frankly I rather address the reason for the wound in the first place.

That "reason" is my bad choices and lack of exercise. I measure how I am doing by how my clothes fit and how easy it is for me to move. Little things like having to pull the seat up closer to the steering wheel in the car, or bending over to tie my shoes (whoo hooo) and breathing at the same time. Picking up something in one hand that used to take two.. I measure my success by the fact that what used to make me cry and head for Dairy Queen, is now - still making me cry, but head to the track to walk that frustration/anger/sad emotion out - frankly I am using my own natural endorphines to ease my pain instead of a peanut buster parfait or a pill that in the end is not going to solve anything but make the pharmaceutical company richer.

Will I use a scale? Yes, I will weigh every month or two, if for nothing else, just out of morbid curiosity, but it is not a factor in failure or success, it is just a gauge of measurement.. But, I measure my true loss as loss of bad habits. I want to measure my success as succeeding in overcoming bad habits and being strong again. Every time I do reps and get one more in, or walk the track and make it one more round, that is my measurement of success.

To weigh or not to weigh...

I say, different strokes for different folks. Important thing is that, at the end of the day, you feel good about yourself in your quest to be healthier (or to maintain an already fit bod). Scales are objective tools that allow us to see where our efforts are taking us. But sadly, I've seen how scales can ruin a person, too.

I know this is an old topic, but I just had to respond. I read everyone's thoughts on the scale mentality. I have always weighed myself each and every day - well no more. After having worked out vigorously for three weeks, with cardio for 4-5 days and weight lifting 2 days I had not lost any weight. But geesh, my clothes are fitting much better and I am feeling much slimmer. Something must be happening, regardless of what the scale says. I am vowing to loose the scale - at least maybe weigh in once a month. I believe this will be much better for my psyche. In weighing every day, if I go up a pound, UGH, I have an overall bad day. ENOUGH BAD DAYS for me. I will just keep to my eating and exercise program and weight/wait and see. My trainer will be doing monthly measurements, so I will see progress there.

Back