The Healthiest Options at every Fast Food / Restaurant Chain

tupperfox

Hey everyone!

I was keeping a running list of healthy items at the chains I was going to for lunch everyday (office job downtown, limited selection)
Around the beginning of this year I was learning to make websites and thought this would be a great idea for one. After a lot of data gathering here it is

https://healthyfastfood.org

You can filter by allergens, and sort and see which items have the highest Protein per calorie, etc

US-only restaurants for now.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 12.41.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 12.41.20 PM.png
    452.1 KB · Views: 1
Well done, It is rare to see my allergen as a filter on anything, as most confuse wheat free as being the same as gluten free when it is not.

I did not dig too deep but do you account for hidden wheat ?

As a moderator I am allowing this link to stay despite new members not normally being allowed to post links as I think this may be a useful tool for the US based members.

Well done, It is rare to see my allergen as a filter on anything, as most confuse wheat free as being the same as gluten free when it is not.

I did not dig too deep but do you account for hidden wheat ?

As a moderator I am allowing this link to stay despite new members not normally being allowed to post links as I think this may be a useful tool for the US based members.
Thank you, I was a bit concerned about posting a link

What does hidden wheat mean? As in wheat traces from equipment?

What does hidden wheat mean? As in wheat traces from equipment?

Because of the labeling laws in most countries allow manufacturers to leave wheat off the label so long as the gluten in the ingredient is under 20 ppm. ingredients like maltodextrin and a heap of other ingredients that may be made from wheat or another source don't have to be differentiated on the nutritional label. However gluten is only one protein within the wheat and if it is left off (hidden) I and many others with a wheat allergy will still react as the other proteins or even just wheat fibre will trigger an allergic reaction.

Another example is Xanthan gum, it is derived from sugar. The sugar can come from many different places, including wheat, corn, soy and dairy. If grown from wheat those who are very sensitive will react to it.

Yeast is another example, bakers yeast is usually grown on wheat, it is hit and miss working out what foods are safe beyond fresh meat and veg.

Because of the labeling laws in most countries allow manufacturers to leave wheat off the label so long as the gluten in the ingredient is under 20 ppm. ingredients like maltodextrin and a heap of other ingredients that may be made from wheat or another source don't have to be differentiated on the nutritional label. However gluten is only one protein within the wheat and if it is left off (hidden) I and many others with a wheat allergy will still react as the other proteins or even just wheat fibre will trigger an allergic reaction.

Another example is Xanthan gum, it is derived from sugar. The sugar can come from many different places, including wheat, corn, soy and dairy. If grown from wheat those who are very sensitive will react to it.

Yeast is another example, bakers yeast is usually grown on wheat, it is hit and miss working out what foods are safe beyond fresh meat and veg.
I see. I didn't account for hidden wheat on the website. Any idea where I could get this information? It seems like official restaurant data is not including it

I see. I didn't account for hidden wheat on the website. Any idea where I could get this information? It seems like official restaurant data is not including it
Usually If I need info about the source of an ingredient it involves multiple emails to whichever company makes a product, it is data they don't have to include so they don't. Some companies are better than others with knowing where they source their ingredients.

I think you have made a good site, and having the obvious wheat listed is a good starting point and I would expect any users with a wheat allergy would then investigate further themselves. The risk of anaphylaxis tends to make allergy sufferers very cautious.

now it is time to go and bottle some mead :D

Back