The endo meso's journal...

So.... I thought I'd start a thread all about me.... Why the heck not!! And what I do.... I would love some ideas :) pointers, etc....

I think I'm sitting at about 28% body fat, which is massive improvement on my original 45-50% bf..... Ughhhhh how embarrassing!! This is a bit rough, as I can only go by weight in terms of bf for my starting, which was 130kg - I now weigh 103... Loss of 27kg which google suggests would be a fat loss of around 20%?????

To get down to 18%, loss of 18kg, 85kg... I'm not sure if this is realistic?! I do have a typical endomorph body, I'm quite heavy and solid, not a petite build at all! (Initial goal?)

See what I mean absolute beginner....
My goals have always been around strength and fitness, but for me to have banging guns and quads and banging everything.. I think I need a better understanding of my own fat loss, and my own diet...

So macros.... I've been googling.... And ugh.... I have absolutely no idea!!! But hold that thought I'm catching up with my pt today, hopefully he can help shed some light....

So Monday

6:00am Cardio...

5 min warm up treadly
10x 30 sec sprints at 15.5 and 3 x16
10 min incline 15, 6.5
Stair master intervals 1 min on, 30 sec rest level 18, 69 floors.... Haha
600 calories burnt...

Tonight...
Cross trainer warmup

Leg press
4x 12 at 105kg
4x 12 single leg 25kg,

4x 12 walking lunges 20kg plate above head
4x 12 walking lunges no weights

4x 12 hip thrusts whatever you call them 20 kg plate
4x 20 single leg stepups

Cool down and stretch..

What I ate...
2x protein shakes after each workout, isolyze vanilla and peanut butter with water.... (Not sure if I should be having two?????)

Meal 1:
4 egg whites
120g- onion mushroom spinach zucchini asparagus
Quarter of an avocado

Meal 2:
70g chicken
120g veg - spinach, broccoli, tomato, carrot,

Meal 3:
70g chicken
120g veg- broccoli and carrot
Teaspoon of coconut oil

Meal 4:
70g salmon
120g - kale, asparagus, broccoli

... I have just realised that I did not eat like I normally do, and am under my calories. So I should be hitting no less then 1100, prefer 1250 calories per day... (This is what my pt discussed with me)

Without the shakes yesterday's meals totalled 842 calories,
The two shakes are 110 calories each, so calories for the day are 1062.
So calorie king also suggests macros as follows

45% fat
49% protein
6% carbs...

Thoughts???

P.s. you guys are awesome!!

Tuesday.....

Fasted Cardio 6am
5 min bike
4 x 10 ..60cm box jumps
4 x 10 burpees with bosu
4 x 10m push 85kg guy around gym!

2 x250m rower sprints tension 7 (55 sec, 57 sec)
4 x 20 side stepovers
Finish with a 30 second pb smash on the treadmill 16.5 ... Yeahhhhh buddy!!

Cool down stretch
Calories burnt 570

Cables
4 x 10 chest press lunges with 7.5kg each side (10each leg)
4 x 10 squat pulls on hand each 10.2 kg (10 each arm)

4 x 20 10kg db rows in push-up position
4x 10 10kg db clean and press (single arm, 10 each side)

4x 10 10kg db chest press
4 x 10 10kg db bent over row

2x 20 full leg extensions, super slow
2x 30 sec planks

I feel a bit funny doing heavy weights on my own... So I do weights that I know my form will still be perfect with... Until I find me a solid gym buddy...
But tomorrow morning I have a pt session.... And I have a feeling it will be deadlifts and squats....

Stretch.
437 calories

1004 calories...

15 minutes in sauna
15 minutes in steam room

Meals:

Post workout shake
Isolyze vanilla and peanut butter
.... 110 calories
.contains... 27g protein

Meal 1:
50g of cooked oats
75 g blueberries

Meal 2:
70g chicken
120 g - spinach broccoli carrot zucchini tomato
50g brown rice

Meal 3:
4 egg whites baked with
120g spinach, onion tomato mushroom

Meal 4:
70g baked chicken
120g carrot and broccoli

Meal 5:
70g chicken
120g chilli, tomato, spinach, onion

Preworkout:
50g chicken
50g butternut pumpkin

Post workout shake
Dymatize casein cinnamon
.... 130 calories
Contains.... 24g protein

Meal 6:
70g basa fish grilled
120g asparagus, spinach,
(About to cook and eat) ughhhhh

921 calories
Plus shakes = 1161 calories.

15% fat
65% protein
20% carbs.
(Not including the proteins shakes)

So.... I'm still looking into those damn macros....

I'm also curious to know what sort of split I should be doing with macros?!
As I've discovered in the last two days my protein is much higher then anything else..

Originally when I first started with my pt, all of my meals were 100g say chicken and 150g fibrous veg... 6 meals plus a preworkout meal 100g lean meat and 50g starchy carbs.... Couldn't do it!!! Sooooo much food I thought I was going to go crazy...

The only supplements I take is fish oil, probiotic, and just a multi vitamin oh and the shakes... But I would consider getting rid of them if I knew my diet was spot on and could support me haha!!

I really love good food!!

Wednesday :)

I'm feeling a little confused...
Do I focus on losing weight /fat
Or on strength goals?!.. I do want to be strong, I want to play with the big kids!!!

Pt session,
Warm up 5 minutes
5x 12 deadlifts 40kg
5 x 12 squats ... 20, 20, 20, 20, 0
2 x 20 hip raisers

575 calories

I was such a neg head this morning.. Just didn't have the right mindset which really affected me!! Ready to just forget about it, tomorrow is a new day :)

I learnt some really shocking habits from the good ol pump classes.... A combo of that my height and weight really hurts my squats... I tend to put my weight into my toes, so my knees come too far forward...
I'm working hard to correct my weight in squats, ass to grass, weight in my heels,
How... Put my toes onto a plate...
I find a standing side on to a mirror really helps, as well as using a low step to "sit" down onto... Still working on this form though...

I also had trouble switching on my core... I'm not sure if it was a mental thing, or because I'm female haha!! But deadlifts, haven't been this light in a long time! That was a bit frustrating... But I couldn't maintain perfect form any heavier.. I had trouble rotating my hips once my hammys became too restricted.. If that makes sense... I'd get the bar down past my knees probably just over half way down my shins and that's where I'd struggle with rotating my hips, so my back would begin to compensate and curve...

I guess we have our off days sometimes...

So... If anyone has tips on those issues :)

And then there was netball training... 850 calories

Post workout shake
Isolyze vanilla and peanut butter
110cal

Meal 1:
70g chicken
120- broccoli, carrot
50g - brown rice

5x almonds

Meal 2:
4x egg whites
120g- spinach, onion, mushroom

Meal 3:
70g chicken
120g broccoli and carrot

Meal 4:
70g chicken
120g broccoli and carrot chilli

5 x almonds

Preworkout meal
50g chicken
50g pumpkin

Postworkout shake
30g oats
Dymatize cinnamon
...130 calories

Meal 5:
70g basa fish
120g kale, spinach and asparagus

Total calories: 1200
Burnt: 1425

Fat: 20%
Protein: 58%
Carbs: 22%

I did read a lot today about being an endo/meso.... I'm more endo... I think...but do have meso traits too... Don't think you can be solely one category...

Training good and varied, probably a bit unbalanced but hard to tell, and anyone telling you they get the balance perfect is lying.

Targets, why are you assuming it's a choice between losing fat and gaining strength? If you are a year or more into training you have already learned that patience is key and aren't in a desperate rush to look like Aphrodite next Wednesday, for the record the statue of Aphrodite would have been modelled by a man, it was illegal for women to do so in Greece at that time, same for Venus, I like amusing trash like that.
Train hard and heavy in the weights, keep your cardio and you will gain strength and muscle, the latter will burn energy continuously burning fat. Calorie deficit will mean losing some muscle that you gain but I think you could still gain some slowly and know for sure that strength gains and fat burning can happen at the same time because I've done it, don't think I gained much muscle but weights went up.
It is hard to see exactly what you want out of training, aesthetics, performance etc. because I don't think you are totally sure. Decide first and we can certainly point you in the right direction.

Weight based assumptions, way off, and if you keep them possibly dangerously so. You have assessed your fat levels at the start and assumed the loss of weight equates to the fat you have lost so are assuming the percentages based on this.
You have been training and gaining muscle throughout this time, the only time this can be done while losing fat is when there is plenty of excess to burn as you were to start with, getting leaner means the body guards it's fat stores more heavily, they are your lifeline for lean times after all. This means your drop from 130kg to 103 isn't simply a 27kg drop in fat, it could be substantially more due to muscle gain. You started training early last year, so will say you are 1.5 years in and have gained 3kg of muscle in that time, a very pessimistic view you could easily have gained far more. That means you have to consider that 3kg you had marked as fat is muscle making your fat % math way off.
So why is this dangerous. Well I am looking at a small margin of error and this could be far more. Continuing this forward could mean you are estimating yourself at 20% body fat when in reality you are well below and potentially at a dangerous level that could even start effecting hormonal levels and make you interesting to be around, and other things that could cause you potential damage.
Use bodyfat scales, calipers etc. as a guide. They aren't massively accurate but they work well as a guide of how you are doing. Failing that use the mirror, it's not easy but if body fat levels are for aesthetics it's a simple case of like what you see or don't, be aware there will always be something you won't, so be realistic.

Diet. Wow, how far from human ideal proportions can you be? This is not a dig, you are following the myths propogated through gyms, magazines etc. worldwide that protein is king and carbs are evil. There are some wonderful scientific facts to back these up that are partially fact but mostly nonesense, predominantly muscle is made of protein and carbs = fat. The truth is below.
We aren't designed for a high protein diet, the clue is there in your toothy grin, note the massive canine teeth you don't have. There is more evidence further down your digestive system where only 17grams of protien will be absorbed in one go, 25 if taken in just after training, so a lot of the protein you eat will likely never even get into your blood but make you nicely consipated until you get used to it.
Muscle is mostly water, that's what makes it so heavy, 75% in fact so think about what would happen if you took in 5 times as much water as your body could use, flushed away in urine, the same as will happen to any protein your body can't use or convert to lipoproteins a form of fat. Yes that is the truth excess protein either never get's into your body, becomes fat or is dumped as urea. If your body tried keeping it the amino acids would become ammonia and poison you so be very glad it does these things.
Ideal percentage of energy consumption on protein is around 17%, 20% would be more than enough but close enough to handle the excess without adding more body fat or taxing the kidneys.
The ultimate irony. I forget the exact percentage but there was study that assessed how much calorific value it took to take food, extract protein, transport it and assemble it into muscle to repair damage or grow. I know it was pretty high because of factors you just wouldn't expect and I think it was either 60 or 80%. Basically you would need this amount of energy just to build the muscle, not considering the training etc. just the rebuild.
Carbs = fat. Excess carbs have to be stored, preference is glycogen stores, but if there is too much this will become fat. However this is third choice, first is use it, second glycogen third fat, meaning it is a good primary source of energy, there is a caviate I will come to later. Protien will either be used to become body matter, enzymes etc. or be converted to fat or disposed of in that order. Fat shockingly enough doesn't need to be converted but can be burned before it goes to storage if you are training regularly.
If you know what you are looking for the human animal leaves some great clues to what we are supposed to eat in the mouth. Quite a weak bite, small molars compared to our size, quite insignificant canines, front teeth level and flat topped, but sharp for biting not blunt for tearing. This tells us that we are designed to eat high quality food that doesn't take much chewing, but needs to be bitten into a piece at a time. Along with the high amylase content in our mouth to help breakdown starch we find ourselves set for a diet of tubors and other starchy food.
In fact the ideal carb level is 60 - 65% of calorific intake with only 5% of this amount (not 5% overall) being simple sugars. We are built for a high starch diet and if there is plenty of this coming in we have more energy for training, growth, and have a more elevated metabolism, the last is marginal.
Please do not take my word for this, check it yourself and see what real dieticians and sports nutiritionalists who aren't sponsored by supplement companies or selling their own say.

You are doing things wrong. If you weren't ready to be told this you wouldn't have come here. The errors you are making are among the most common and easy to fix.
Consider how well you have done without addressing these things and how well you will do once you have.
None of us have all the answers. After over 2 decades of training and a number of years studying sports related stuff, evolution, genetics and random other things I still get things wrong. That is part of the joy of this activity, we can always learn and improve.

Squat depth is hotly debated, ass to grass is not compulsory and heals on plates is bad for mobility, in most instances. There will be more critique, and please do correct me too.

One final thing for curiousity alone. How tall are you? just curious as you weigh substantially more than me, not difficult with my scrawny ecto genetics, and even with an endo frame you likely tower me.

That's some serious build you have there then. You aren't much taller than me couple of inches at most and I'm about 85kg, being UK that is 13 stone 6 or 148 pounds if you are in the US.
You will build like nothing on earth if you choose to and make ectomorph men like me very jealous if they are after build.

There are some great resources out there, Anita Bean is UK olympic nutritionalist I read her food for sport and found it very easy going and a good introduction into reality of general nutrition.
Diet isn't as complex as many make it. Training means needing more of everything and proportion changes very little regardless. Simple things like proportionate, not portion quantity, food pyramids are a good starting point. It shows how much by volume you want to be eating of different food groups, mainly staple starchy stuff, sensible veg and fruit which are bulky due to water content, comparitively small portions of meat, fish and diary, and very little sauces and treats.
Once you have the balance roughly right you will be there. No-one gets diet perfect every day, and trying to get too granular tends to make you focus so much there that you detract from the training. This last is opinion, people do manage both.

Outside diet I would say targets are your main concern. You need something(s) to aim for to make it practical to set yourself some training plans. They will change over but that's part of the fun.

Squat techique is likely covered by one of Goldfish's posts somewhere but I can't remember if it's here or on his blog. I know he has some video links of him doing some recently and as our medal winnning power-lifter he's worth a watch.

Basic problem is the best place to check squats from is the side and looking that way will mess up your squats, so this is the best you can get in a world without live footage of yourself from the side.

Bar placement. There are high and low bar squats, low bar is safer due to no risk of supporting weight on your neck, but both are valid. If you see someone posing their back there is a T shape at the top made by the tensed trapezius, low bar would slot right into the grove under this and puts the bar on your back not your neck. If you have been used to high bar this will feel weird because it forces your upper body forward for balance, this is normal but takes getting used to. I prefer low bar as it increases the weight I can lift and now I am used to it feels so much more solid.

The basics.
Squats start with the hips going backward, not the knees bending. The knees will bend because the have to, you don't have to tell them.
Knees must follow your feet, if they don't hide them from view move your feet to where your knees go, this varies from person to person as long as it is not inward or full plie you are fine.
Try to use a mirror initially to check you are even in your movement.
Head and chest should face front consistantly, if they don't you have dipped forward putting undue pressure on your back.

If your hips are going back and knees bend naturally your weight will likely go where it's supposed to but sometimes it doesn't. If this is the case record it from the side.
What you should see is the bar going straight up and down, back curving naturally as the hips go backwards as much as down.
Warning signs are lower back curving the wrong way at the bottom, hips not moving back, knees leading or moving side to side especially if inward.

Be very careful about using step to squat onto as this risks serious impact every time, if you need a guide down try something spongy or have the bar touch it not you.

Squats are a great all body exercise as are deadlifts.

Deadlifts are the ultimate in confidence exercises, you really have to believe you can do it to preform well.

I don't know how I would survive on 800 cals a day. That's breakfast for me. Then again, I'm 6'5, 240.

Deadlifts are the ultimate in confidence exercises, you really have to believe you can do it to preform well.

I second that. The minute you look at a bar and doubt your strength, that's the second your form goes to hell and you start messing up.

Just skimming over your routine, here's a few things I can offer...

- Lose the shakes. They're no good. Spend that money on food. Trust me.

- Move some weight. Keep the squats and deads in your routine. Do some bench, overhead press, high pulls... stuff that incorporates the most amount of muscle groups. You're going to do more damage this way. Good damage that is.

- Keep the fasted cardio. I've heard enough people swear by it and have done it myself enough to know it wields results.

In the end, I know you are focused on losing weight and gaining muscle, but unfortunately, these are conflicting ideals. When you start lifting weights, you will have "noobie gains", but after that, if you aren't eating a surplus of food, you won't put on muscle, and if you aren't eating a deficit of food, you won't lose weight. These have to be done separately. If you need to lose fat, lose the fat until you are happy with the way you look, then if you want to put on muscle, eat food and lift big to bulk up a little, then go on a cut to lose the fat you put on. It all depends on how to want to look in the end.

I am trying to increase my calories.... But still lose weight... I think losing weight is my first goal... Once I'm there i will go back to my strength goals...

My math went right out of the window 13 stone 6 is not 148 pounds. Back to school time 13 x 14 = 182 add 6 = 188. Doh!

Perfectly sensible and possible to increase intake and stil lose weight if you increase activity more than intake. As long as there is a sustainable deficit you will be fine, too much and the body will fight back. In reality I would say aim for 500 calories a day below output as a maximum and would choose half or less than that personally to ensure I have maximum energy for training.

I will be trying to upload some videos of me doing deadlifts with fat gripz. They are great for turning a seasoned deadlifter into a rank ametuer, so I am enjoying being a bit pathetic. Not uploaded videos before, be fun to see if I mess it up.

Mostly just popping in to say hi as the other female who routinely "journals" on this site.

Good luck in defining, and then reaching your goals.

Back