The Calorie Counting Club

As of late, I too find myself a slave to the numerical task master, however if I may interject a question into this dialog. I am constantly thinking that I must be missing some aspect of this process, that being the simplicity of basing all of ones dieting decisions on a single number, solely. Is this actually what is to be done, or are you also taking into account the other values such as sugar and carbs when you design your meals or is it actually simply counting calories?

I'm using calorie counting as a way to make sure I get a healthy diet as a whole. The software I use also breaks it down into protein, carbs and fat, so I can keep track of my diet overall. And make sure I'm getting enough water, and enough fruit and vegetables a day as well.

Leftovers (especially the tastiest ones) cry out our name from the fridge and freezer... "SAVE ME! I WILL DRY OUT IF YOU DON'T HAVE ME FOR LUNCH!" That's a fine mindset when talking about fruits and veggies. But too often we are dreaming of that leftover slice of pizza in the fridge or last night's mac & cheese.
See thats my problem too - i was raised in the "dont waste food" era leftover from the 30s probably and my grandparents.

Now i just dont have pizza or shit food often, this way any leftovers are healthy (ie my leftover vegetarian nachos). On the odd time ill have something less than ideal, i make sure i buy EXACTLY the amount i will use.
If we have a BBQ and there is stuff others have left there ill try and give it to husband or kids for an "extra" for lunch or use it for the next meal. If it tempts me too much ill throw it. And i have been known to throw perfecftly good food :D

as for calorie counting - sheesh give it a few months you wont need to read labels, or if you do you will be able to work out the Kj into kcal in a split second. Failing that you can probably guess the calories on most things.

Calorie counting has helped me identify WHAT foods were the ones that were doing the damage more than anything.
ie I know now i can et Mcdonalds and not get fat, i just know what to buy or not buy, or what to ask for being left off my burger.

Last edited:
As of late, I too find myself a slave to the numerical task master, however if I may interject a question into this dialog. I am constantly thinking that I must be missing some aspect of this process, that being the simplicity of basing all of ones dieting decisions on a single number, solely. Is this actually what is to be done, or are you also taking into account the other values such as sugar and carbs when you design your meals or is it actually simply counting calories?

other than calories, the two other numbers I really watch are fiber and sodium because for me - both play a huge role in how I feel... as long as I stay within a specific range for carbs/proteins/fats though -I'm satisfied..

In my immediate family history all sorts of semi-preventable nasties lurk...notably certain types of cancer and heart disease...so within meeting my caloric range I'm looking closely at other factors as well such as the amount of saturated fat in my overall fat content.

I look at the nutritional values as well - I "build" little meals using fitday that can be interspersed throughout the week based on what nutrients I need. Now I have a good collection of these to "build" my caloric day.

The single number!

I have to say that I just use the single number when counting calories. At the end of the day I just work out what's gone in and what's come out and then if I've eaten less than I've used I'm happy.
I think there is probably a lot to be said about keeping an eye on all sorts of stuff but I'm guessing they are going to be fairly specific to the individual. Obviously if you have things like high blood pressure you'll want to keep an eye on your salt intake.

My personal goals are just to lose weight. That's why I just look at the calories. I'm pretty good (I think) at getting a good balanced and varied diet.

So far calorie counting has made me realise that some things have a lot more calories than you think. It's also made me realise that you can eat pretty much whatever you want as long as you're getting enough of all the vitamins etc and stay under a certain amount of calories.

I've still got a lot to learn though.

Back