Temporary exercise alternatives for inflexible people

First off: If you have a flexibility issue, you MUST work on it. No exceptions. Never permanently replace an exercise if you cannot do it.

(Everything here is my opinion only, I'm not a professional in this area).

But, the thing is: gaining the flexibility required to do lifts like squats, overhead presses, and so on can for some people take many weeks, and even months to achieve. During that period of time you still want to be training at the gym without neglecting any muscle groups, but you need alternative exercises to use, which is why I decided to put this post together, to give you some options. Remember once again that these exercises I will list are NOT permanent replacements for any key exercises (squat, ohp, deadlift, etc); they are just for temporary use until you gain necessary flexibility.

Here are some options:

1. If you can't overhead press:
One great piece of equipment for training shoulders with poor flexibility is the landmine. These are two great exercises that effectively target the shoulders, but without the same necessary mobility required for an overhead press. They are:
1. Landmine lateral raises
2. Landmine shoulder press
Landmine lateral raises are a killer shoulder exercise - in my opinion they are far superior to dumbbell lateral raises; give them a go. The landmine shoulder press is also a good exercise, and it hits both the front and side delt well, with emphasis on the front delt.

2.If you can't squat:
While there isn't much of a substitute for squats, here are a couple of exercises you can consider adding to your program:
1. Barbell lunges/split squats
2. Step-ups
3. Barbell hip thrusts (very important if you don't deadlift/squat)
4. RDL's are also a good option if you can do them
Barbell split squats / lunges are great as they require less flexibility than squats, but they still hit the entire lower body. The only potential issue is that some people get knee pain from doing this exercise. Step-ups are also a solid exercise for the lower body, but they can be tricky for some people. Hip thrusts are a definite must if you are not deadlifting and/or squatting, as they hit the glutes, hamstrings, and lower back; muscles you mustn't neglect, and ones you may have weakness in. Also: Squats and deadlifts improve your core stability, so don't forget to supplement your program with exercises like roll-outs, planks, and so on.

Also: Everything here is just my opinion. Feel free to add to what I've said or correct me on anything.

Back