Cohen's Lifestyle Tell us what you eat

Prefix for Cohen's Lifestyle

fortyfour

Hi I read through most of the long thread on what is the cohens diet. I had never heard of it before coming to this page.

I am not skeptical about the diet. I have an idea how it works and its great that so many of you are finding it really helpful.

I am skeptical about all the blood testing and the costs.

I am skeptical about the copyright line you've all be fed.

There is no law against writing down what you have eaten that day. And as you would know by now, most of us who read this read are interested to see what you eat each day and how much.

I am particularly interested because people say they do not get hungry. I think eating enough to avoid hunger is a key part of successful long term weight loss.

I understand about the ruling out of exercise but for some people who want to exercise it just shows up a weak point in the diet. Obviously exercise makes you hungrier. It does not mean that you will stop losing weight. It just makes it complicated for the doctor to calculate how much you should eat to compensate for the exercise. But as i indicated, i understand that if you are obese then a lot of exercise will be with hard to do or cause other problems. And its probable that most dieters just want to do it anyway.

I had a look up on the seratonin thing. I looked for seratonin tests and found that it is used to diagnose a type of tumour. There are no blood tests for mood. So i am wondering why he is doing it and if this is a bit of a con. I think these blood tests are just a way of making the whole diet sound technical and a way of extracting money and keeping you to the program. Whatever.

I have a neighbour who has insulin syndrome. I don't know if she is overweight enough to do this diet but from the sounds of it, it might be suitable for her, apart from that.

I think you guys should share more detail about what you eat. PLease. We want to know.

Again there is no law against telling us what you've eaten on a particular day like all the rest of us do. Unless you've been made to sign a contract saying you won't do this. Which seems like some serious manipulative behaviour to me.

Hey Fortyfour!

Check out my food diary to get an idea of what meals you can make on Cohen's: -- Hope this helps.

I don't list weights because someone who hasn't read up as much about Cohen's as you have might follow the prescription made for me and that might lead to nasty weight problems. Besides, as you might already know, portions really vary depending on your blood chemistry.

The blood tests - which you can do on your own, not necessarily through the Cohen clinic - become the basis for your Refeeding Plan which is the 2nd phase of the diet. The blood tests will determine how long the your Refeed is and in what order 'new foods' will be introduced. It's also to make sure that your electrolyte levels are still normal. It's not just a money-making scheme.

I'm currently doing cohen's,I had the same questions, I mean it's just really healthy eating so why can't everyone lose weight eatingthe same amount? And I think the excersize thing is that more obese people don't excersize so they get super hngry if they do, and it says hatas you get firrter etc... you may do excersize.

Thanks goodluck tummy. I have to accept you don't want to note the amount but I wouldn't copy what other people eat. I am just curious. I don't think anyone would copy to the letter what someone else did.

I just had a look at your website. Its a lovely design. And you have done a fantastic job of losing weight. I'm proud for you. Its good to see that its basically only three meals a day but i hope there is some quantity in those meals because otherwise i think i might starve if i had to eat that. Do your meals sizes get small as you go on?

Last edited:
The information session I went to actually did indicate a sample diet so that might answer some of your questions.

@fortyfour - nope, the meal sizes have stayed the same for me. ooh also check out my cohen meals blog - - i post pics of some of my meals on it so maybe you'll get an idea. :) are u planning on doing Cohen's?

No I am not planning on doing cohens. I just find it frustrating not knowing. I am quite familiar with a diet called the CSIRO total well being diet which is also australian. I think the key thing with cohens maybe that its for pre-diabetics (or maybe even for diabetics) insulin resistant people. I don't think this guy is the only one doing this type of diet. I think he has just made a good business model of it and has managed to protect his business by manipulating his customers to keep quiet. I would like to be able to compare it to the CSIRO total well being diet.

Its a fairly high protein diet but very healthy. In summary, Its like this
100g protein for lunch
200g protein for dinner (meat you 2 cups dairy a day about
2.5 cups vegetables a day. 1/2 cup is salad
3tsp unsaturated fats/oils a day
carbs like wholegrain bread are roughly 2 slices of bread a day. or 70 grams
high fibre cereal is 40g
1 cup 250ml low fat milk
200g low fat yoghurt/or dairy dessert
250 ml low cal soup
50 ml wine - usually taken 2-3 times per week.

I see the cohens has no coffee, tea, wine. teh CSIRO is more 'normalised in that regard.

The diet is designed to a large extent for pre-diabetic/insulin resistant dieters.

I enjoyed looking at the kitchen hits blog. I'd like to try some of those. I really liked the look of the tuna tartare but i'd eat with avocardo for sure.

I see the cohens has no coffee, tea, wine. teh CSIRO is more 'normalised in that regard.

The diet is designed to a large extent for pre-diabetic/insulin resistant dieters.

Hi fortyfour, on Cohens you can have coffee and tea. You just cannot have it with milk or sugar. You can use a sugar substitute though. And definately no alcohol is allowed and personally I think this is a good thing as alcohol is bascially all sugar and empty calories.

Back