Weight-Loss Sugar detox

Weight-Loss
Status
Not open for further replies.

Korrie

It's occurred to me that I'm seriously addicted to sugar. After doing some research I've decided I need to detox and get this sugar out of my system. Women should have 25 grams of sugar a day and I'm consuming up to 200+. So my goal for the next 30 days is to only consume the 25 grams allowed and that's it.

Anyone with me?

I think that's too much for me at the minute...
We're in lockdown and I'm currently trying to focus on eating healthy as much as I can (the odd slip is getting through) and I don't really want to be second guessing whether I can have the fruit I want... I really like my banana and blueberries... I'm happy if I can keep away from things like chocolate...

Good luck.

Well, I've put more thought into this. I guess what I really want to get rid of is the extra added sugars like pop, candy, cakes, ect.

I started the same on November first and it´s going better than I´d expected. Happy to have fellow sufferers though!

Hi LaMaria!!! Glad to hear it! Sugar is SOO addictive!! I did the math and realized I was consuming almost 8 times the recommended daily amount! Time for a change!!!

For me it´s a gateway drug to binging. Don´t want to do that anymore, so out with the refined sugar. After November (and after lockdown) I think I´ll have a rule that it´s ok to have sweets socially but not at home. A bit like no drinking alone.

I don't check for sugar in non-sweet food (like take-aways, or the ready meal I had today) and I can eat as much fruit as I want but I no longer want to buy chocolate, icecream, cake, or sweet pastries for myself definitely for November but I hope to keep it up longer.

I'll join in if it is simply to own up to sugar containing naughties - eg choc, cake, pastries, sugar containing sweets etc.

Example yesterday and the day before was less than ideal as both days I indulged in a 96 calorie chocolate mini bar. Hoping to resist today...

You´re welcome to make it whatever works for you :) I wasn´t tempted today. Right now I have mandarine oranges, grapefruit, pomegranate, grapes, raisins, and sweet potato bars to choose from without feeling bad about it. As well as diet soda, for now, but that´s going to get reduced starting Sunday.

i believe cutting back sugar was a big key to my success although i was ok with the obvious kind (candy, cake, etc), it was the hidden sugar in processed foods that was a major problem i wasn't even that aware of. one thing i have eliminated is any fruit juice. fruit is one of the only sources of sugar in my diet now but i only eat whole fruit... well, the edible part ... :)

26... the main reason we all pay too much for health insurance.

i'll balance it out with the only good one i know.

1. hummingbirds are fun to watch.

:) Pretty sure your 26 is half their 25. The only good one I can think of is that is tastes good and I´m very much hoping that I can get to a point of not liking the overly sweet stuff. Another possible number 26 would be that adding sugar (and/or a ton of salt) makes mediocre food taste like decent food, thus tricking us into eating less nutritious meals.

This is an interesting thread, I have not given a lot of thought to the sugar in my diet, however I believe I eat very little refined sugar. I don't eat many prepared foods and what I do eat is usually sugar free. On the other hand I do eat a lot of fruit (I include tomatoes as fruit) and I know that has a lot of sugar. This is new for me, before going on my diet I ate a lot of sweet junk food, cookies, cake, candies, etc. Like Flyer I believe much of my dieting success was the result of mostly eliminating refined sugar, even if unplanned.

So what do y'all think about natural sugar in fruits? Should it also be tracked and limited? I have done a bit of internet research on the question and have generally found people supportive of eating fruits, but as internet research always it its a bit inconclusive. Your opinions would be appreciated.

I came across some interesting things on the history of sugar, like The Illustrated History of How Sugar Conquered the World and A History Of Sugar – The Food Nobody Needs, But Everyone Craves . Apparently refined sugar has been around a long time. And of course the history of sugar is closely tied to the history of slavery in the Western Hemisphere How Sugar Changed the World | Live Science .

whole fruit usually comes with a good amount of fiber (unlike fruit juice). i don't know the chemistry behind it, but fiber buffers the effect of the sugar so your liver doesn't go crazy with a big spike of insulin. the other advantage of fiber is that it takes some of the nutrition into your intestines where the good bacteria there benefit and you get the advantage of having something else burn the calories. again, this is kinda hearsay, but i believe it's generally accurate.

the other thing to keep in mind with most fruit... much of the nutritional part is in the skin. not only are small apples usually the ones on sale, there is a larger skin to pulp (the sugary part) ratio.

If you're diabetic you have to watch some fruits. Otherwise I say it's all good as long as you don't have so much it keeps you from eating other food groups you need. Zoos do generally limit how much fruit their chimps and gorillas get to avoid obesity but they're volume eaters, very likely with a longer gi-tract than we have.
the other advantage of fiber is that it takes some of the nutrition into your intestines where the good bacteria there benefit and you get the advantage of having something else burn the calories.
Funnily enough a diverse microbiome helps you absorbs more energy from certain foods (specifically "undigestable" carbs) not less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back