Stretching

are there any products on the market to help assist with stretching? like some stretching aides to help make it easier, more effective, less painful...

I'm sure there are, but I just have no idea where to look

Any help?

you mean............like a yoga tape? you don't, do you.................

Stretch more often makes it easier ... also i've heard you need to stretch for 60 seconds each muscle and take deep breaths and long exhales to get the most out of your stretch ... a professional dance instructor told me it was worthless to stretch if you do less that 60 seconds so i've always gone by that and i'm quite limber :)

are there any products on the market to help assist with stretching? like some stretching aides to help make it easier, more effective, less painful...

I'm sure there are, but I just have no idea where to look

Any help?

are there any products on the market to help assist with stretching?

easier - yes, don't go too hard on yourself and push your yourself to the extremes of your flexibility limits and it would be easier. :)

more effective - some muscle you can work on them using Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF), you need someone who knows this or you could tear your muscle. It cheats your brain and muscle receptors to give you temporary increased stretching ability and greatest potential for rapid flexibility gains. Please ahve someone who is QUALIFIED!

less painful - don't go too tough on yourself at the start.

A good mat and a towel would be a good tool to stretch many muscles.

Hope this brief overview helps.

Regards,
Sam
LiveWithFitness.com

More information on stretching than you will probably ever need, but its a great read and very informative and will surely help!

i would also like to ask how to do the streches cause i assumed that the reason why i have so many injuries is maybe also because i am too stiff?

They do have a stretching towel out there; although it's a waste of money since you'll probably only use it a week before you're used to the stretching. It can help if you're a beginner. However, a simple towel will do in helping.

I do PNF Stretching by putting my bodyweight on my muscles or the wall or the floor. It's a mixture of passive and isolated stretching. My hip abductors are responding pretty well to the PNF stretching. You don't need to stretch for a long time to get gains.

There are 3 different ways you can do PNF stretching and is only done once per muscle, but I do it like this for example...

10-15 seconds each
Passive - Hip Abductor 90 degrees stretch (holding with hand and one arm on ground)
Isolated - Turn over and have my hip abductor 90 degrees and my bodyweight on top of my abductor
Passive again - same as passive above.

You don't really need a partner for PNF. Just have to be creative and figure out how to replace a partner with the wall, bands, bodyweight, or floor

Here's a good stretching routine that I'd recommend.
It starts at the head and moves all the way down to your feet.

I'm male and use this it every day. You feel very relaxed after you do this.

Using foam rolls or a device called "the Stick", which has several plastic rollers will help with the stretching. Doing some type of self-massage first makes the stretching much easier and the results last longer that way.

You can find more info on this at Boomer Wellness Expert.

Stretch more often makes it easier ... also i've heard you need to stretch for 60 seconds each muscle and take deep breaths and long exhales to get the most out of your stretch ... a professional dance instructor told me it was worthless to stretch if you do less that 60 seconds so i've always gone by that and i'm quite limber :)

That was going to be my exact response :)

All I can suggest is doing your research about stretching. There is a ton of controversy going on right now.

I myself am of the opinion that static stretching (going into a stretch and staying in it) can frequently do more harm than good. It pulls on the attachments of the muscle rather than the muscle belly, and can weaken said attachments. Yes, you'll see more flexibility, but you can also leave yourself prone to more injury.

I AM a fan of active stretching, such as PNF. For PNF, go into a stretch, and then use the muscle you're stretching. I'm not explaining this very well, so go here:

Regardless of what stretching method you choose, people pretty much agree unanimously that stretching should only take place AFTER a workout. Stretching cold muscles can lead to tearing.

Does anyone have "The Whartons Stretchbook"?

The reviews on amazon say it's a great book but very poorly illustrated. If someone has it, can you please comment? I am located in Hong Kong and the other books on stretching I want to get are just too expensive to be shipped here. The Whartons Book is the only one I can get at a reasonable price. I just like to know if the illustrations are really that bad that you cannot understand the exercise?

Back