Still fighting that same old dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroGirl

Well, I'm still at it. I'm 35, and I lost the big weight (about 80 pounds) about 8 years ago. Was looking great, strong and sleek, when I met the guy who would become my husband. He's amazingly loving, supportive, and squishy around the middle. When he met me, he lost weight, and I slowly (over about 4 years) gained about 40 pounds back.

My doctor was freaked out by my high triglycerides (350) a year and a half ago, and that inspired me to lose about 25 pounds and reduce the tri's by about 150 points. So now I'm stuck. I really don't care to be as thin as I was in my mid twenties, so I'd be happy to just lose about 10 pounds. But I've been stuck here for a year, wiggling up or down a few pounds, but I can't break the plateau.

I work out very regularly, cardio, strength, and stretching (although not perfectly), and eat very consciously (although, again, not perfectly). What's it going to take to kill this monster once and for all??? What's the line between pushing for and insisting on personal change and growth and living with reality that is too difficult to change?

Any suggestions for this tired old dragon slayer?

HI RetroGirl,

welcome to the forum. I read a few times here in the forum, that the body adjusts to your routine and if you do the same thing all the time you will maintain your weight, but not lose more. You basically have to 'shock' your body. You can do this by frequently switching your routine and also with HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). This means that instead of jogging at the same speed for 30 minutes you switch between running real fast and jogging and you do that for short intervals like 'run for one minute, jog for five minutes' etc. I am not really that familiar with this kind of exercise. Maybe someone else here in the forum can better explain what it is, but I think you already get the basic idea.

Thanks for the response, Lisa--

I have introduced interval training and am jogging and sprinting along with my usual walking. I also have seasonal activities like biking in spring/summer/fall and ice skating in fall/winter, which has just started.

It is hard to always do everything I intend to do--and strength training tends to be the thing that drops out. So I've been working with a mat and exercise bands in my office whenever possible and isometric work on abs and butt whenever I can think to do it.

My greatest fear and frustration is that even though I have worked hard on portion control, increasing vegetables, and cutting sugar and fat that I simply am going to have to be hungry sometimes to lose my last five pounds. And I really can't live with that. I can wait until I'm hungry to eat and then eat carefully chosen foods, but I can't just stay hungry. Sigh.

Any other ideas, anyone?

how often do you eat in a day. From what I learned one of the most important things is to keep your bloodsugar level. When you start feeling hungry your bloodsugar level has already dropped, so it is always better to eat, before you actually get hungry. That's why 5-6 meals a day are better than just 3, or 3 meals plus 3-4 snacks. you should eat no later than 3-4 hours after a big meal or 1.5 to 3 hours after a snack.
I don't exactly follow the low carb, but I try to consume a good balance between protein, fat and carb with each meal and snack.
Hope this helps:):)

I grew up on a farm, so I understand about eating regularly. I always eat breakfast. That's non-negotiable. I eat three meals and two snacks afternoon and evening)--occasionally a midmorning snack if I have to eat very early breakfast or very late lunch. I strive to eat fruit or veg with a protein for a snack (sometimes carb and protein). I just can't stand being hungry.

I know how you feel, I can't stand it either....I also always eat breakfast and then snacks between lunch and dinner. I do try to actually eat before I get hungry...I admit that I use the clock for that even though I don't eat exactly the same time always, but I try.

Well to me it seems like you are doing everything right, only one more question, otherwise I don't know why you can't break the plateau....are you eating a lot of carbs before bedtime?

Apparently we are supposed to eat our carbs earlier in the day that way the body will burn them off before we go to bed and not store them in fat because they are unused.

Lisa--

Thanks for the interest and support--if I have carbs after dinner, it's usually light popcorn--shared with the hub. Or sometimes a piece of low carb bread toast with natural peanut butter. Sometimes a no sugar added ice cream bar or 2-3 sugar free cookies. Often it's an apple, orange, or pear.

I did South Beach with my husband a year ago, and we're still trying to avoid simple carbs--lots of fiber (especially vegetables) and low sugar are our goals.

I'm seriously thinking about joining Weight Watchers, although it seems ridiculous for only 10-15 pounds. But maybe they can give me a boost with a specific points range.

I'm off for a long walk/jog combo and will do a yoga video and strength training later. I am able to do all three parts of my workout routine on the weekend.

Have a great weekend

HI there,

seems to me like you are doing every thing right. Maybe searching for help from a professional is a good idea in your case:):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back